Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

loaded 2016 or basic 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A basic 2018 doesn't have a lot of options as most features are standard. Key options are rims (21" vs. 19"), FSD, paint color, and interior color. Performance is one significant option. Guessing you are comparing a 2016 90D vs a 2018 100D, so the original range goes from 270 miles to 335 miles.

I'd likely go with 2018 if the same price. In March 2018, Tesla switched from MCU1 to MCU2, so just saying 2018, doesn't indicate which CPU. On cars with MCU1, you can upgrade to MCU2 (faster, with lots of additional features) for $2000 or so. Add $500 if you want to keep FM & XM. Does 2016 include FSD? This is now a $15,000 option (which can be added to either of the cars you are considering if it doesn't have FSD). That alone might swing one way or the other.

Upvote 0
2016 is probably the most complex year of Model S production. Early “nose cone” cars are mechanically and visually similar to the 2012-2015 models.

Major mechanical refresh and visual update came in April.

“Full self driving” (😂) capable Autopilot 2.0 was released in October.

2016s were delivered with 70, 75, 85, 90, or 100kwh batteries and there was also an option for a software locked “60” that was actually either a 70 or 75.

So, details matter.

Many changes in 2018 as well, MCU2 was released in March. As mentioned earlier, many of the options on previous cars became standard.

All that to say details matter.

But also, get the 2018. 2 extra years of battery and drive unit warranty is a big deal.

Upvote 0
thanks! i didnt know about when the mcu changed. thats important to me.
the FSD less so, i live in a big city so i cant imagine using much, though it probably helps with resale..
i think the warranty is a big factor as well.
I've got a 2015 P90DL with the nose cone and still love it. It's got the 21" turbine wheels, gets 210-220 miles on average. Maintenance and repairs have been tires, brake cleaning (still on original pads with lots of life left), control arm bushings, and 2 door handles.

Love the free supercharging, still gets up to 113kw and only drops below 100kw at around 45-50%.

Love the huge power moonroof! I open it every chance I get. Really wish that feature would come back but I doubt it.

Acceleration 7 years later is still gut wrenching fast with ludicrous mode. I notice cars don't even try to race me at traffic lights when they see the P90D symbol and turbine wheels. They know it's a lost cause :) Then when I take the folks out to dinner, i change the mode to chill and they love the smooth acceleration the pedal brings.

AP1 is rock solid and sooooo smooth. Stays dead center in the lane on the highway up to 90MPH. Phantom braking is an extreme rare occurrence. Auto high beams and wipers overall get a B+

However, there are 3 things that I love about the newer Tesla's:
A) Seats are soooooo much more comfortable. Mine are good, but nothing great.
B) Sound systems have improved dramatically. Mine has almost no bass and barely gets loud enough, and it's supposed to be premium.
C) Sentry mode is a fantastic feature and I wish mine had it.

Last edited:
Reactions: QUBO
Upvote 0
Maybe I have a hard butt! I had a 2013 S original and 2016 S Next Gen (both leather), and my 2022 S. Seat comfort differences were minor to me on all three, although my 2022 has cooled seats, which is nice at times. Never felt any of the seats were uncomfortable. I guess you need to try it to see how a specific seat feels to you.

Reactions: QUBO
Upvote 0
A) Seats are soooooo much more comfortable. Mine are good, but nothing great.
B) Sound systems have improved dramatically. Mine has almost no bass and barely gets loud enough, and it's supposed to be premium.
C) Sentry mode is a fantastic feature and I wish mine had it.

A) Was shocked when I needed my seat bottom replaced. After only five years the seat bottom had done a ton of compressing. Replacement (new) feels great.
B) Do you have "Ultra High Fidelity Sound Package"? If not, the audio was genuinely average at best. UHFS was a huge uptick in quality, competing against the BMW B&O systems.
C) Preach. No doubt.

Upvote 0
and herei i convinced myself i didnt need the audio package, could get some aftermarket speakers
now i need everything. seats. suspension, audio. thanks

UHFS makes a big difference, I’m glad I went for it every time I get in the car. I’m sure there are aftermarket options that will get you there too.

Seats very subjective - the Next Gen Recaros are beautiful and mine have held up admirably over 150k miles. They are definitely the sportiest option and it took me a while to find a comfortable driving position at 6’5”, but once I did they’ve been great.

Upvote 0