Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loan car disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The is Tesla's loaner car policy -

"If your car does need service, then it should be swapped with a car that is ideally better in some or many ways. To this end, Tesla is building a fleet of top of the line Model S loaners. These will not be our basic model – they will be state of the art with all the best features and options."

https://www.tesla.com/blog/creating-world’s-best-service-and-warranty-program-0

That kind of went down hill. Loaner cars are supposed to make you want to trade your current Model S for that one. And thats not what happens they gave us a S85 with one option and that was Pano. And to tell you the honest truth I was never more ready to hand a Tesla back over in my life. The highest spec. loaner we had was fully optioned out P90DL. Other than that it's been ICE car's.

• Informative
Reactions: MS16
I had had a loaner Model S 75 all week. Had no problems with it - apart from the $4000 excess. Is kind of high IMHO.

(then again, maybe if they hadn't dented the drivers door in my car in a mishap while fixing a puncture in the back rear tire... Should be fixed - at their expense - next week.)
Brian do you happen to have a photo of the damage?
I noticed a new dent low on my front passenger door after getting a tyre repaired at the service centre.
I certainly don't remember hitting anything but I didn't notice until a week after the repair so I can't be sure when the damage happened.

No photos. Tesla said they damaged it, and sent it to File Finish for repairs, so I never got a chance to investigate or photograph it. I tend to think when they lowered the car after fixing the wheel, the car door may have been opened, and there was something in the way.

There is also a slight dent in the front bonnet - which I have never noticed before. I have never ran into anything. Maybe somebody bumped into the car at a parking spot. Tesla claim that this resulted in the radar being misaligned, which is why I was getting messages about driver assist being unavailable. However I only had the car back for one or two days and I am now getting similar messages again. Plus auto high beam is not working. So I am a bit doubtful they diagnosed the issue correctly. I have the car booked in for their service centre again.

At my last service at the Richmond centre it was determined that I needed new drive shafts so, once they were in stock, an appointment would be scheduled. When I had the service done I was given the use of a Mitsubishi POS with a variable gearbox which meant that under acceleration the revs would zip up to around 5,000rpm and the car would catch up. Absolutely disgusting piece of noisy garbage.

When I returned to pick up my car after the service I told the service rep that I was genuinely appreciative of being offered a loan car and also very grateful, however, if I was ever give that car again I would stab him (he understood that was me having a joke). He PROMISED that when my car was in next time I would get a Tesla.

The appointment was for tomorrow at 8:00am. I received a call today to confirm my attendance and so I thought, best to confirm the loan car would be a Tesla. Nooooo, the current policy is "No loan cars unless the issue is paint related". I ferry kids around all day 4 days a week and Tesla need the car for 2 days, so I told them to cancel the appointment and I would reschedule at a later date.

To say I am pissed off would be a very large understatement.

Had they notified me when they booked me in, or even subsequently, I could have made other arrangements and would not have been stuffed around. The ONLY reason I expected a car was because I was promised one. I am fine with the new policy but it should be made clear to longer term customers, such as myself, as we have expectations based on history.

At one of my recent services I was offered a Holden which I declined. The service rep told me they had to sell all the Tesla loaners to get out of the red. He even had to call one owner and say, 'that loan car you're driving, I've just sold it, I'm going to have to meet you somewhere and swap it for this Nissan'.
I think tesla should provide ICE cars during service. It helps tesla owners remember what they have left behind.

Is this situation happening in the US or other countries though? From what I’m seeing in the USA they seem to be getting Tesla loan cars fairly easily...it seems to be very much an Oz thing where not only will you not get a Tesla but a good chance a donkey is all you get offered.

At my last service at the Richmond centre it was determined that I needed new drive shafts so, once they were in stock, an appointment would be scheduled. When I had the service done I was given the use of a Mitsubishi POS with a variable gearbox which meant that under acceleration the revs would zip up to around 5,000rpm and the car would catch up. Absolutely disgusting piece of noisy garbage.

When I returned to pick up my car after the service I told the service rep that I was genuinely appreciative of being offered a loan car and also very grateful, however, if I was ever give that car again I would stab him (he understood that was me having a joke). He PROMISED that when my car was in next time I would get a Tesla.

The appointment was for tomorrow at 8:00am. I received a call today to confirm my attendance and so I thought, best to confirm the loan car would be a Tesla. Nooooo, the current policy is "No loan cars unless the issue is paint related". I ferry kids around all day 4 days a week and Tesla need the car for 2 days, so I told them to cancel the appointment and I would reschedule at a later date.

To say I am pissed off would be a very large understatement.

Had they notified me when they booked me in, or even subsequently, I could have made other arrangements and would not have been stuffed around. The ONLY reason I expected a car was because I was promised one. I am fine with the new policy but it should be made clear to longer term customers, such as myself, as we have expectations based on history.

Agreed, I got the only loan car in Melbourne yesterday and will have it for the next 2 weeks (paint related issue on my Model S which was not caused by me).

I waited 6 weeks to be told when I turned up I would not get a Tesla, I refused and then waited another 6 weeks....yesterday was the second lot of 6 weeks waiting. I also told Tesla Service at the first time I was booking I would not take anything other than a Tesla, to ensure I was put in a Tesla this time I had to jump up and down, complain etc.

We're a 2 car Tesla family and I am close to buying a M3P (now white interior has been added as an available option) however the service centre has me very worried at Tesla....

I have 5 colleagues that have ordered a model 3 so far. They have all been driving new German cars for the last 15 years and are used to getting a German car loaner when servicing their cars. Now imagine as a first time Tesla buyer who is not part of the original Tesla ‘fanboy’ community and you paid $100k for a car that you’re given a Toyota Klugger as your loan car.

I can understand that they may not have enough Tesla loan cars to go around but giving your customers who are buying $100k-$200k cars $20k sh@tboxes to drive is almost an insult and some of these customers will be going back to the competitors come around next car purchase.

@djayz couldn't agree more....I am just astounded Tesla would do this.

They have 1 (yes ONE) loan car that is a customer traded car for the WHOLE of Victoria....and it's been like this for many many many months.

I can NOT believe they could not get 5-6 cars for loaners at each service centre in Australia (which is only 3, therefore 18 cars at most) which would cost Tesla less than $1.8m, no way in hell is this a "we're getting out of the red" decision...it is yet again another stupid stuff up by Tesla Management Australia.....that lot are brainless....do Tesla Australia's Management not realise the first wave of Tesla buyers (S/X owners) are high net worth individuals that often are running large companies themselves therefore can see straight through bulls&^t and f'ups?

Love the car, service centre needs more resources (people and loaners) and bloody Management in Australia needs to be LET GO and Tesla USA needs to hire some decent, qualified people to run the show here....this has gone on for a long time now and the amount of bad decisions Tesla Australia has made over the past two years is not forgivable.

I encourage anybody feeling the same way to write a letter of complaint, not to Tesla Australia but to Management in the USA and Elon himself. If enough of us complain at the same time it will get noticed, at the end of the day Tesla Australia need to remember we, the customers, are the ONLY reason they have a job.

Last edited:
Agreed, I got the only loan car in Melbourne yesterday and will have it for the next 2 weeks (paint related issue on my Model S which was not caused by me).

I waited 6 weeks to be told when I turned up I would not get a Tesla, I refused and then waited another 6 weeks....yesterday was the second lot of 6 weeks waiting. I also told Tesla Service at the first time I was booking I would not take anything other than a Tesla, to ensure I was put in a Tesla this time I had to jump up and down, complain etc.

We're a 2 car Tesla family and I am close to buying a M3P (now white interior has been added as an available option) however the service centre has me very worried at Tesla....

If that’s true, then you do not have the only loan car in Victoria, as I am also in one (90D) until next week.

@nikv that is good to know....it's a shame I wasn't given a loan car that I was promised after waiting 6 weeks....it was a shame I had to get angry in order to be promised I would get a loan car and then having to wait another 6 weeks. Even more frustrating when the loan car I am given is the same loan car I have been given before therefore the whole we have no cars available is more a case of we have none available for you because you are not a priority to us (even though I waited months)....therefore they do have loans cars however it would seem I'm not considered a high enough priority even though the reason my car is going to Tesla is 1. Warranty - wont super charge and 2. To fix paint damage that occurred last time it was in Tesla's service centre.

If you don't mind me asking, why is your car with Tesla at the moment?

My car was in at the Richmond SC a couple of weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised when the loan car they gave me was a Blue P85D! I think it may have ruined me as I'm coming 75D. And to think that it was 'only' Insane+.

There was also another guy there who also got a loan car on the day - also another P85D although I didn't take notice what colour that was.

I have 5 colleagues that have ordered a model 3 so far. They have all been driving new German cars for the last 15 years and are used to getting a German car loaner when servicing their cars. Now imagine as a first time Tesla buyer who is not part of the original Tesla ‘fanboy’ community and you paid $100k for a car that you’re given a Toyota Klugger as your loan car.

I can understand that they may not have enough Tesla loan cars to go around but giving your customers who are buying $100k-$200k cars $20k sh@tboxes to drive is almost an insult and some of these customers will be going back to the competitors come around next car purchase.
I would never go back to an ICE, so dont see how any are a competitor. Fyi my last tesla loaner was a new merc. Completely confirmed my position. Piece of rubbish.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
@nikv that is good to know....it's a shame I wasn't given a loan car that I was promised after waiting 6 weeks....it was a shame I had to get angry in order to be promised I would get a loan car and then having to wait another 6 weeks. Even more frustrating when the loan car I am given is the same loan car I have been given before therefore the whole we have no cars available is more a case of we have none available for you because you are not a priority to us (even though I waited months)....therefore they do have loans cars however it would seem I'm not considered a high enough priority even though the reason my car is going to Tesla is 1. Warranty - wont super charge and 2. To fix paint damage that occurred last time it was in Tesla's service centre.

If you don't mind me asking, why is your car with Tesla at the moment?

There was a little rubbing from the falcon wing doors onto the body of the car, due to them not being adjusted properly (a common problem) so it’s currently getting repainted and fixed atm!

• Informative
Reactions: Jays200
I would never go back to an ICE, so dont see how any are a competitor. Fyi my last tesla loaner was a new merc. Completely confirmed my position. Piece of rubbish.
While most people who end up owning a Tesla are highly unlikely to go back to ICE, I suspect they will have little qualms to return to their trusted German brands in a few years with their next car purchase if they have an EV in their range (which realistically they will). So it’s not about comparing Tesla to ICE currently...it’s about their next ELECTRIC car purchase and how much brand loyalty they’ll have if they get treated like crap during their Tesla ownership.

Reactions: 360C
While most people who end up owning a Tesla are highly unlikely to go back to ICE, I suspect they will have little qualms to return to their trusted German brands in a few years with their next car purchase if they have an EV in their range (which realistically they will). So it’s not about comparing Tesla to ICE currently...it’s about their next ELECTRIC car purchase and how much brand loyalty they’ll have if they get treated like crap during their Tesla ownership.
Well in fairness, bmw treated me like absolute bottom of the barrel crap. Audi treated me like normal crap. Tesla come to my home and fix my car, or if I go to them I get treated with respect and the fault is never blamed as ‘my problem’. Tesla dont charge me $2500 for the first service.
So tesla for me is a better car and a better service with hopeless communications. I wont be lining up for another bmw ever, and audi would need to be very convincing. Merc are so far down the list they arent even worth a mention.

• Informative
Reactions: Dakah3 and baillies