Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loan car in the UK - 3rd party F&T insurance only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I'd just share this information as it caught me by surprise this morning. Tesla came over to swap my car for a loan vehicle whilst my car gets a warranty fix. Whilst I was about to sign some forms, I asked what the insurance excess was for the loan car and was told it was 3rd party fire and theft only. Given that the car they loaned me was a brand new S100D (only 500 miles on the clock) I'd be looking at approx £95k bill if I had a bad accident.
I refused to take the vehicle with those terms, but he recommended trying my insurance company to temporarily swap the car out. Long story short is that Direct Line added the car as a courtesy car and did so at no additional cost (happily surprised by that), so the loan replacement took place as planned.
I'm not sure if this is unique to the UK loan vehicle system, but one I thought I'd share as nobody wants to get caught out with that financial nightmare - but there is a work-around.

• Informative
Reactions: Blueskye and .jg.
In Norway you are covered but you have to pay an excess cost up to EUR 2500 if you are at fault. This has recently been implemented.

I find it poor customer service to provide me with a loaner with an excess of EUR 2500 while my own car is in for “corrections” because the build/quality was not good enough!
When receiving my new car in April the front window was damaged, paint spills and scratches was found. My car is in to fix these issues as we speak. If I were driving my own car the excess would be EUR 500 if I were at fault. Because they need to fix my car at their own fault I stand a risk of EUR 2000 if something should happen!

Did they sit in a boardroom and say, hi why not make a shitty situation even more shitty for our customers?!?! Elon, wake up! Be fair! I know you are and can! Even you can see how unreasonable this is!

Reactions: TimK
my own car is in for “corrections” because the build/quality was not good enough!
This is what mine is in for right now. Had the car for exactly 1 month and these are being fixed.
I think if you were to have an accident, it would be an awkward conversation with Tesla but they will be picking up the bill for it.
You'd want to chance that? I definitely wouldn't.