Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loan out M3 but don't allow charging to my account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a M3P I'd like to loan to a friend. No physical key, the app is my key. But if I add him to my app so he can use the car, he can still take it to superchargers and it will automatically bill my credit card I believe. (I mostly charge at home so I'm not super familiar with the nuances of supercharging)

Is there an easy way to loan out my car but not allow them to put charges on my account?

I have a M3P I'd like to loan to a friend. No physical key, the app is my key. But if I add him to my app so he can use the car, he can still take it to superchargers and it will automatically bill my credit card I believe. (I mostly charge at home so I'm not super familiar with the nuances of supercharging)

Is there an easy way to loan out my car but not allow them to put charges on my account?

yes, give them the key (you should have a keycard, which IS the physical key for a model 3). If you dont have a keycard for some strange reason (you would have had to have lost it or something), you can buy one from tesla for like $35.

Loan them that.

Upvote 0
I've loaned out my Model 3 a couple times to family members while I was out of town on not driving the Tesla. As was mentioned above, I gave them the RFID key card instead of logging in on their phone and making a phone key for them. The biggest limitation with only having the key card is that they can't precondition the cabin.

I don't know of any way to block access to Supercharger billing if you loan out the vehicle. Just make it clear that they will be responsible for any Supercharger expenses while they have the vehicle. When you take the vehicle back, look at the last session on the charging screen to see if they charged while having the vehicle. If so, login on your account on the Tesla web site and get the complete details on their charging sessions.

Upvote 0
yes, give them the key (you should have a keycard, which IS the physical key for a model 3). If you dont have a keycard for some strange reason (you would have had to have lost it or something), you can buy one from tesla for like $35.

Loan them that.
If they have a key card and use a Tesla Supercharger, what happens? I assumed it just bills the credit card on the Tesla account associated with the car it's charging?

Upvote 0
If they have a key card and use a Tesla Supercharger, what happens? I assumed it just bills the credit card on the Tesla account associated with the car it's charging?

Operative terms here are "loan" and "friend". I dont know of a way to prevent supercharging without not having a card on file, but if its actually "loan" and "Friend" you should be able to either just tell them "dont take it to a supercharger" or "all supercharge sessions are logged so I will let you know how much those cost".

Again, if its actually "friend" this is a non issue. Anyone you trust enough to actually give your car to, you should be able to tell them what you would like to happen with supercharging sessions. If its NOT "Friend" but "business I am trying to start loaning out my car" then I dont have an answer for that other than to remove your card from charging, or setup a separate card and bill accordingly.

Upvote 0
Correct. The key card just avoids giving the borrower access to the app. With or without the app, supercharging will get billed to the credit card in the account, and there’s no way around that.

When I rented a Model 3 from someone on Turo, he said he would bill me for supercharging fees after the rental period, but he didn’t bill me because he had free supercharging miles from a referral.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0