Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loan Vehicle - how far can I take it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may have read in another thread that my M3LR suddenly decided to limit the speed to 55mph. It did this for a whole evening even though there was plenty of electrons left in the battery. After a SuperCharge it seemed to recover and the fault has not re-occurred. However it was booked in for the replacement of a plastic panel underneath (£20 worth) today so I asked Tesla to investigate what had made it crawl for 100 miles.

Car went in this morning and I got a message later that it would not be ready for today. From that I presume that they have found a fault but there is no further information.

Trouble is - next week I am due to drive to Austria. So; if they can't fix the car and give me a loaner - can I take it to Austria for three weeks?

From the last loaner agreement I received is this sentence

"You will, at the reasonable discretion of Tesla, not (i) operate the Vehicle outside the country in which you received it"

Also, you have 24 hours to return the loan vehicle from when then notify you that your car is ready for collection.

Austria might be quite a push on reasonable and you'd have a mad dash back.

Tongue in cheek of course - just a bit gutted. We bought the car in March 2020 and were planning an immediate ski trip. Then lockdown stopped us. Now after 33,000 miles the Tesla decides to have a serious problem just before we finally get to go!

Just say you got lost and were heading to Ashby-de-la-Zouch, took a wrong turn, needed to stop for a pee and there happned to be a boat with these facilities, so you stopped to use. Next thing you knew, you were in Austria.

Total believable. Accidents happen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
Just say you got lost and were heading to Ashby-de-la-Zouch, took a wrong turn, needed to stop for a pee and there happned to be a boat with these facilities, so you stopped to use. Next thing you knew, you were in Austria.

Well this actually very nearly happened to me...

I had an old Tom Tom sat nav years ago... and my Girlfriend at the time had booked a holiday cottage in Cornwall.

From West Midlands to Cornwall it's a completely straight run down the M5

But halfway down it diverted us through Plymouth, into the docks, and wanted us to take the Ferry !!!

WTF...

Because we were chatting so much I hadn't noticed how far off-course we were... I was checking for my Passport in case I couldn't get back in 😁

I presume it was a river Ferry, but I always now disable Tolls & Ferrys.

If that boat's Sat Nav was like our car, it could very well end up in Austria 😁

• Funny
Reactions: davidmc
Remember the news story a while back of the 81yr old guy who meant to drive from Newcastle to Rome but ended up in Rom, Germany instead?
At least he had needed to cross the channel.
There is also a story of a new UK helicopter pilot who took off in poor weather, got disorientated and when things cleared dropped down to read a road sign and discovered he was in the Netherlands.
The closest I got to getting lost in the air was looking or my landmark and when it was no-where to be seen I circled while calling up ATC for a position fix to be told it was under my right wing-tip - Doh!

Getting worried - no news from Tesla today.........I went to Brussels in our 24kWh Nissan Leaf in January 2020. That was what decided the Tesla purchase. Don't fancy the drive to Austria with 70 mile range between charges.

You should have a text message from the service centre about the actual appointment, it looks like a normal mobile number.

You can reply by text to that. They'll pick the message up tomorrow.

Explain the situation to them.

You should have a text message from the service centre about the actual appointment, it looks like a normal mobile number.

You can reply by text to that. They'll pick the message up tomorrow.

Explain the situation to them.

Latest is that the SC needed parts. So something is broken! Hoping to have it fixed and returned tomorrow. I wait with baited breath!

Final result - the car is back. Seems that a gasket in some coolant bottle (that has a 4 way valve?) came loose and blocked one of the valve ports. Took the SC some time to find and fix that. So not terribly serious and fixed under warranty but seems to be a build quality issue once again. Anyway good result - off to the Alps on Wednesday.

Ashby is a lovely town. loads of Teslas ;) recommend to visit. Tesco has no free charging though