TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Loaner Car Prius

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jimmy82abn, Jan 6, 2016.

1. jimmy82abn

jimmy82abn Member

Dropped off my brand new model S for various issues.
    They gave me a prius as a loaner.

2. tanner

tanner Active Member

Eww

3. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

If it is any condolence, right now I have a Ford Flex as a loaner. It's a big stinky beast. :(

4. msnow

msnow Active Member

Sorry [emoji20]

5. Cowby

Cowby Member

i got a big GMC Terrain...new with only 31 miles!....but holy crapola, stinky, loud, and S L O W !!!!

6. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

Luckily my service center is full of loaner Teslas :)

7. Lonnie123

Lonnie123 Member

#7 Lonnie123, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    If you are just doing in town driving you can actually be in EV mode quite often. Drove 10 miles today and was in EV for 67% of the trip, for an average of 70mpg.

It takes a little finesse and you have to learn how to "trick" the car into driving in EV mode, but it can be done! If you care to learn, research "Pulse and Glide" driving (basically get up to speed and then let go of the pedal and then only press it up until you get to the line that splits the power meter in half), make use of the regen braking... and accelerate BRUTALLY slowly whenever you can.

(edit - I know the point of your post wasn't you getting a hybrid instead of an electric, but this might take the sting out a little bit, and even turns it into a fun little game if you can get your average way up)

8. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

Pruis is one of the most common cars owned by Tesla buyers prior to getting the tesla. Most wld prefer it to the avg enterprise rental offering.

9. Firewired

Firewired Member

San Antonio = no Service Center = Enterprise Rent a Car

10. jimmy82abn

jimmy82abn Member

Well this was enterprise rental. Not so bad for 1 day but really driving that car every day I'd easily grow a pair of moobs.

11. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

This was true for me (2005 Prius, 206K miles and a few days short of 10 years old when I replaced it with a Model S). IMHO all the energy management awareness learned from the Prius makes me a more efficient Tesla driver.

And in that situation, a Prius loaner would be fine by me. Better than some gas-guzzler. To each his or her own, I guess!

12. sorka

sorka Active Member

I still have my 2009 Prius with 215K miles on it. It was my gateway drug to my Tesla.

13. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

That is by far the best characterization of the Prius I have ever seen. Well said!

14. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

Local showroom did an Enterprise rental for my trip to the SC for my new delivery. A Cadillac CTS. Awful, just awful! PoC... To top that off, it did not have enough gas in it to make over to the SC. So I had to pump some gas just to get there! A fitting end to an era <sigh> LOL.

15. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Which service center did you use?

16. jimmy82abn

jimmy82abn Member

I went to Rocklin its close to me only about 15 miles away.

17. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

Guess that answers my question as to which loaner you got in your other thread since you were under the impression you were going to get a Tesla loaner. They offered me 3 cars in Rocklin. Prius, Chrysler 200 and Dodge Challenger. I went the extreme opposite route and chose the latter.

18. jimmy82abn

jimmy82abn Member

Yeah they initially said that would give me a Tesla loaner but with December being a high purchase time many of their inventory tesla cars were bought which they use for loaners.

Im not an electric coffin kind of guy. The Prius was hard to drive.
    Next time I'll know better.

19. P85DBeast

P85DBeast 3 Model S!! 85D,P85D,P100D

Tell me about I had a 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium it wasn't a bad car just the fact that I had to put gas in it. It did have all the bells and whistles though like the auto-parking it surprisingly worked better on the fusion than on my Model S. Along with the beautiful red leather seats.

20. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

I assume this was directed at me. I went to Cincinnati, at about 125 miles, the closest one to Indy. [Presumably an SC is slated for my city, but not here yet.]