Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner cars with Summer tires in Winter!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the grey too, but it has set of Goodyear eagle. There is lot of Brampton destination on its GPS history. And the phones paired to that car have Indian(Asian) names. They must have some small kids as there is some small bottle in the center stack.
I am driving on HOV too. :) I assume all cops know that Tesla in BEV.
your car is a different one from the sounds of it. My loaner only had about 4000 kms.

Did our first test drive of a Tesla Model S in December 2014 at Tesla Lawrence in Toronto Canada.
The first big snow of the year happened leading up to the drive.
The P85 had worn summer tires and handled poorly compared to my wife's Mercedes AWD SUV which had all season (3 season) tires.
I complained to the test drive rep, who was embarrassed, and promised to get winters put on the demo ASAP.

That was a highly negative experience, and my wife (who was the primary driver of our only large vehicle) stayed with her Mercedes almost solely due to this test drive. She refused to drive the demo after seeing how badly it handled with me driving it first.

When we bought our CPO Tesla S in 2015, Tesla fitted pure summer OEM Goodyear tires.
I made sure to get winter tires/rims, it was non-negotiable on my wife's part, that's for sure!
Only two summers later, our S85 handles poorly in wet weather on the Goodyear tires, and on last change-over Kal Tire noticed the poor wear on them, even though they have been rotated and only have 20000 km.

If Tesla provided a loaner with pure summer tires on it during the winter season, I would complain loudly.

We have no issues driving a RWD Tesla on winter tires, and I haven't decided for sure if I am getting dual motor on my Model 3, very likely, but not 100% sure.

Personally I've been all AWD for 10+ years now. Where we live there's going to be snow and ice, so having AWD makes good sense. On top of that, I don't believe in RWD in this era of cars making 300-400 ftlb of torque. It's just a recipe for poor application of power, and I like my cars to accelerate briskly in all conditions. Sure a RWD or FWD car can get by on winter tires, just as an AWD car can get by on all seasons...but why sacrifice?

If I pay a premium for a car that is supposed to deliver performance I'd like to be able to use all of that performance. AWD is key to that. Very few supercars still cling to the RWD fantasy of 'better handling' etc. now that cars are making 500-600-700 hp and tq. It's the future of motoring I think...AWD everything.

On the topic of the model 3, dragtimes put a pbox on one and had it running RWD to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds. He did that with a 2.2 second 60 foot time and ran the quarter mile in low 13s @ 10X mph. A strong AWD car will cut that 60 foot time to 1.8 seconds which will knock that 0-60 mph time down considerably and will cut the 1/4 mile time to about 12.8.

The OEM Goodyears were actually "All-Seasons" (or 3-Seasons) tires. Tesla switched the OEM 19" tires to Michelin MXM4s

I specifically requested pure summer tires, as I was already going to purchase winter tires.
Tesla obliged as this was a CPO and the original tires were worn out when I checked the car prior to the re-conditioning process.

As I outlined, pure summer tread is not good in rain even with the excellent Tesla RWD traction control system.
I had (incorrect) expectations it wouldn't be too bad, but lesson learned.
I'll always go with 3 season tires for the non-winter months in future car purchases.

695EFACB-1B78-4EA9-AEBA-8B642EBEE858.jpeg
I got a replacement loaner just now. A black P85D with “No season tires”! Better than summer sport tires which is the car above in white. Beware if they give you this car. I’m including the plate number too!
DO NOT accept this vehicle as a loaner unless it has Winter tires or at least no season tires. Some refer to them as “All season” which is wrong.
B76713D7-B880-4A19-9F17-7168580B3F6E.jpeg

I specifically requested pure summer tires, as I was already going to purchase winter tires.
Tesla obliged as this was a CPO and the original tires were worn out when I checked the car prior to the re-conditioning process.

Ahh, okay. When you said OEM Goodyear tires I thought you meant the Eagle RS-A All-Seasons that came with the Model S back in the day.

Yeah, I had a performance car years ago with pure summers and it was a disaster in anything other than a nice sunny summer day! I always use "3-Seasons" tires as my summers now.

Ahh, okay. When you said OEM Goodyear tires I thought you meant the Eagle RS-A All-Seasons that came with the Model S back in the day.

Yeah, I had a performance car years ago with pure summers and it was a disaster in anything other than a nice sunny summer day! I always use "3-Seasons" tires as my summers now.
Or as they say, “ no season tires!” Lol!