Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've gotten rentals a lot more often than I've gotten loaners.

And when I specifically asked for a loaner for my next non-urgent visit (i.e. I'll wait for a loaner), I was told that my local service center no longer guarantees loaners. It's first come first service now. And I'll find out in the morning when I arrive if I'm getting a loaner or an ICE rental.

Hopefully when I receive my car I get another P100D as a loaner car. Doesn't have to be fully loaded doesn't even have to be a Tesla. But hopefully on the other had by the time I get my car Tesla won't release a even faster model which I would be super salty (As my son says). Whenever I send my 7 Series in for service BMW either gives me a Mercedes (Which is weird because it's a BMW dealership.....) or another BMW. They gave me a 15' 3 Series before without the Xenon Headlights and the night time visibility was terrible and the car had 65k on the odometer and felt like it was about to fall apart. And was extremely dirty the wheels were covered in curb rash and brake dust and I absolutely felt bad for the car. So I tried to be nice to it. Had it for about 2 weeks. And could not stand the dirtiness of it so I took it upon myself to get it professionally detailed. Looked way better. So hopefully I won't have to take it upon myself to get it washed when I take my car in to Tesla when it arrives.

Reactions: AlanSqB
Today was the first time I got a rental car instead of a Tesla. Generally I get an older RWD Tesla with a smaller battery. But when they said they didn't have any I was expecting the worst rental, but I got a 2017 Mercedes GLC300. Not too bad.

I remember taking my Chevy Volt in for service at a Chevy dealer. Usually I got some Chevy product. Even when they ran out and got me a rental they said it was in the contract they could only give me a Hertz/Enterprise rental that was a Chevy product. So I got a Silverado pickup once. But the worst thing the Chevy dealer ever gave me was a 10 year old Malibu. I think someone traded it in on a new car and they didn't take it to the auction yet. It was old, dirty and beat.

When I had a Chrysler 300C (back when they just came out) the Chrysler always gave me a Neon as a loaner when the 300C for service... that sucked.

This Mercedes GLC300? I'm ok with it. Would have rather had a Tesla, but oh well... better than walking.

They vary a lot - and sometimes folks get stuck with ICE rentals when the loaners run out, but Tesla has long had a policy of trying to make the loaners top tier Teslas. The only one I've had so far ended up being a P85+ on 19" all weather tires that were in no way up to the task. It was fun. :) (But I missed the massive view and filters and quiet of my X.)
I have never gotten anything that even had AP1 hardware - every one has been a beater.

Reactions: gabeincal
Hopefully when I receive my car I get another P100D as a loaner car. Doesn't have to be fully loaded doesn't even have to be a Tesla. But hopefully on the other had by the time I get my car Tesla won't release a even faster model which I would be super salty (As my son says). Whenever I send my 7 Series in for service BMW either gives me a Mercedes (Which is weird because it's a BMW dealership.....) or another BMW. They gave me a 15' 3 Series before without the Xenon Headlights and the night time visibility was terrible and the car had 65k on the odometer and felt like it was about to fall apart. And was extremely dirty the wheels were covered in curb rash and brake dust and I absolutely felt bad for the car. So I tried to be nice to it. Had it for about 2 weeks. And could not stand the dirtiness of it so I took it upon myself to get it professionally detailed. Looked way better. So hopefully I won't have to take it upon myself to get it washed when I take my car in to Tesla when it arrives.

Funny you mentioned the cleanliness of the loaner. Although the car has Ludicrous mode and is a fun rocket to drive. It has almost 50k on the odometer and the inside and outside look like they've never been washed or dusted. Strictly a $100k+ workhorse and nothing else...

Arrived at my 8am SvC appt last week, and all the loaners were backed in looking shiney and new in a neat row.
After checking in, the techie walked me outside and said take your pick. Ummm....they sorta all looked the same from the front. :rolleyes: So I walked around to the back, half way down the row and picked "that one"....just like a kid in a candy store.

I have had occasion to interact with 5 loaners across 7 service visits in my first 11 months of ownership. Three were P85s, one 85, and one P85+. Only one was new enough to have the "new" style stalk setup and none were AP cars. That made it easier for me to take home my mid-2013 85 with no covetous thoughts. Well, only a few with the P cars...