Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner/Demo car Purchase Experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since it sounds like a bunch of Loaner cars got sold at the end of September, including the one I have scheduled for delivery in about a week! I just wanted to see if I could get a couple people who have previously bought the Loaner or Demo cars to give us some insight on their experience. What kind of shape was the car in when it arrived? How many miles did it have on it? Any problems since?

Can't wait to get my car, and really happy with the people at Tesla (and the deal I got!) so far.

Thanks

Since it sounds like a bunch of Loaner cars got sold at the end of September, including the one I have scheduled for delivery in about a week! I just wanted to see if I could get a couple people who have previously bought the Loaner or Demo cars to give us some insight on their experience. What kind of shape was the car in when it arrived? How many miles did it have on it? Any problems since?

Can't wait to get my car, and really happy with the people at Tesla (and the deal I got!) so far.

Thanks

Well I think the best way to answer your question, is to think about how you treat rental cars? They get used very heavy, and are pretty abused (read threads where people get loaners and launch 10x more than they would in their own car).

I'm sure Tesla will try and make it as perfect as they can for delivery, but it's like buying a used rental car.

I'm glad you bought a Tesla though and I know you'll enjoy it.

I understand the concern, though I'm not as worried about it as you seem to be, as the impression I get about MOST, Model S owners is that they are fairly careful with their cars, and just speaking from personal experience while my driving style is a little different if driving a rental its not a huge shift in behavior. But all the more reason I'm interested in the experience of anyone who actually owns one of these Loaners/Demos!

I don't think I could drive a loaner harder than I drive my car! The S is pretty solid. For how hard I have driven 15K miles she is still silent and looks brand new inside and out besides small armor nicks on the nose cone from vicious bugs

It jumps well over speed tables, autox's good, hill climbs amazingly gets to its top speed with no problems
almost impossible to spin it, I have done many full power launches every single day I drive it

You should be fine

Here you go: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/21351-The-longest-service-repair-ever-need-advice

And most rental cars do not have the power of a Tesla...trust me people ride them hard. Just do a search and you'll find out more on what you are looking for.

Of note on the launch topic, I know Tesla puts a speed limit of 80mph on all their loaners/Demos (per the loaner purchase agreement I signed). Not sure how/if that effects launches but it's something.

I agree with your comment paco3791 that Tesla owners probably drive their loaners with similarly to the way they drive their own. Although I agree that the typical rental car is probably driven hard and there are horror stories out there, I think that onion needs to be peeled back a bit to get a reality check. I'm guessing these aren't loaner cars from luxury car manufacturers. I'd bet that most BMW, Lexus, Mercedes... loaners aren't trashed like the typical Hertz or Budget car rental. I'd feel comfortable buying a Tesla loaner as have a few locals here in the Portland area - good feedback. That being said, there are always a few idiots our there...

I bought a P85 service loaner about two weeks ago. Car had 6,700 miles, was perfect on delivery and had new Continental 21's. So far the car has been perfect in every way. I say go for it and enjoy the (large) savings over new...

Of note on the launch topic, I know Tesla puts a speed limit of 80mph on all their loaners/Demos (per the loaner purchase agreement I signed). Not sure how/if that effects launches but it's something.
1. Technically it's 85mph, not 80mph (IIRC).
2. Sometimes they "don't get around to" (recent vehicle arrival) turning on the limiter, regardless of what the paperwork says. :)

They take it off when they sell it right?
Heh, yes. It's a setting on the diagnostic screens - software limiting, not a physical device. (AFAIK.)

We just purchased a P85+ loaner that had 2,000 miles on it. I was told it was all one driver who had it for an extended period. the car is/was pristine. I can't speak for others, but having had several loaner cars, I tended to drive them more conservatively than my own because I didn't want to be responsible for any damage. The really nice thing about Loaners is that you get a chance to drive the car before you buy and see if the configuration you think you want looks and feels as good in person as you were hoping... and some of the loaners are still at the old pricing!

I bought a P85 service loaner about two weeks ago. Car had 6,700 miles, was perfect on delivery and had new Continental 21's. So far the car has been perfect in every way. I say go for it and enjoy the (large) savings over new...

Congrats on the new P!!

We just purchased a P85+ loaner that had 2,000 miles on it. I was told it was all one driver who had it for an extended period. the car is/was pristine. I can't speak for others, but having had several loaner cars, I tended to drive them more conservatively than my own because I didn't want to be responsible for any damage. The really nice thing about Loaners is that you get a chance to drive the car before you buy and see if the configuration you think you want looks and feels as good in person as you were hoping... and some of the loaners are still at the old pricing!

Sweeeeet P+! You will enjoy the heck out of it!