Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner Model S vs. My Model S - Pleasantly Surprised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My baby got hauled down to Atlanta today for her annual maintenance and Tesla was kind enough to bring me a beautiful silver 60 as a loaner (I had been hoping for a P85+, but this is leagues better than a Ford POS from Enterprise so I'll keep my mouth shut).

As the loaner is a significantly higher VIN / newer build than mine (VIN 30397 for the loaner vs. VIN 9786 for mine), I was curious to see how much the fit/finish had improved. I've read tons of stories about little things here and there being tighter and just generally better put together on newer cars but looking at the loaner a surprising realization came to mind: Tesla apparently did a really, really good job putting my car together.

I've seen the horror stories about people having build quality issues or body panel gap issues or paint issues or whatever, but I've always counted myself lucky that my Model S seemed to be damn near perfect. Looking at my loaner seems to confirm that thought. Absolutely nothing stands out as being particularly better, or higher quality, or higher craftsmanship than mine in any way. They're both just damn fine, really well constructed automobiles.

Thanks again to Tesla for building one hell of an automobile. ;-)

Random observations:
- I really, really, really, really should have sprung for the 21" wheels....

- The 60 is noticeably "less quick" than the 85. (I was going to say slower, but that's not quite right). I also learned exactly how fast I've apparently been driving lately when I ran up to the artificial 80mph governor SEVERAL times when driving to lunch and home. I don't recall ever noticing going above 80 much before getting my Model S.....

- I don't hear any inverter whine in the 60 at all. It's just dead quiet whereas my 85 gives a little bit of whine under load. I don't know if that's just the difference between the 60 and the 85, but it was noticeable (in that it wasn't noticeable).

- The loaner doesn't have the "upgraded leather interior" that my 85 came with as part of the standard leather package and it absolutely makes a difference. If I'd never seen my car I wouldn't have thought anything about it, but the steering wheel, dash, and arm rests don't have that "supple" feel that my car does. It was odd once I noticed it.

Just had an even newer S60, VIN 33140 for 3+ days with a wider gulf to my 3352 and I could really compare apples-to-apples with my 60.

Everything about the new car seemed well put together and somehow "tauter" than mine but, I guess things become "loose/soft" with use.

- I really, really, really, really should have sprung for the 21" wheels....

Nah. The 60 loaner had 19" cyclones so, not much of a diff to my standard 19s but, a P85 loaner from 3 weeks ago had 21s and I disliked the increased road noise instantly! I could definitely feel the road much more too.

- The 60 is noticeably "less quick" than the 85. (I was going to say slower, but that's not quite right). I also learned exactly how fast I've apparently been driving lately when I ran up to the artificial 80mph governor SEVERAL times when driving to lunch and home. I don't recall ever noticing going above 80 much before getting my Model S.....

Yup, the governor got me multiple times. It's this really weird feeling of almost being "unable to breathe" ;) as I pushed the pedal hard to get to the carpool lane quickly. Had to move over a couple of times to let quicker cars pass.

On the issue of carpool lanes, had to remind myself that the loaner didn't have HOV decals and that I shouldn't be riding solo in those lanes. It's become muscle memory otherwise!

- I don't hear any inverter whine in the 60 at all. It's just dead quiet whereas my 85 gives a little bit of whine under load. I don't know if that's just the difference between the 60 and the 85, but it was noticeable (in that it wasn't noticeable).

Right, no real balloon squeal - I only have a faint one very rarely in my own car.

But, at slow speeds, when going from a dead stop to 40 mph, I found the regular spaceship-like acceleration whine to be much more pronounced with this car than with mine where I can barely make that out. Not sure if the parcel shelf that I have in my trunk somehow muffles it more.

- The loaner doesn't have the "upgraded leather interior" that my 85 came with as part of the standard leather package and it absolutely makes a difference. If I'd never seen my car I wouldn't have thought anything about it, but the steering wheel, dash, and arm rests don't have that "supple" feel that my car does. It was odd once I noticed it.

Right on! I rest my left elbow a lot on the door sill while driving and noticed this immediately.

One other note: after "living" with the pano roof in the loaner, I felt gratified again with my decision not to get one for many of the reasons that I posted elsewhere about. My wife and son agreed too although my son had some fun using the slider to open the roof a couple of times.

I agree 21"s are too friendly with potholes. But having hit one last week and having a blow out the week before, you will unlikely have rim damage!

The tire pressure sensor will figure out you are loosing air before the rubber will break apart.

disagree.

you wouldn't be saying that ever again once you hit your first pothole that blows out the tire and damages the rim and costs you $1500 to repair.

Man, how bad are the potholes where you guys live? Nashville doesn't have the greatest roads I've ever driven on, but I don't seem to ever recall running into potholes big enough to destroy a wheel.

Another random observation on my loaner car: the backup camera seems SIGNIFICANTLY higher resolution / clearer than mine. Has Tesla swapped out the camera at some point? I don't remember seeing anything about it.

Another random observation on my loaner car: the backup camera seems SIGNIFICANTLY higher resolution / clearer than mine. Has Tesla swapped out the camera at some point? I don't remember seeing anything about it.

Yes! This was first noted a few months ago but, I saw this with both my recent loaners. I compared the same stretch of asphalt and my garage with these against my own car. My service advisor feigned ignorance of any change there when prompted.

Man, how bad are the potholes where you guys live? Nashville doesn't have the greatest roads I've ever driven on, but I don't seem to ever recall running into potholes big enough to destroy a wheel.

Some of the main roads in Jersey are typically bad, especially during winter. With all the storms and freeze/defrost cycles this year, NJ roads were the worst I've seen in decades.

The pothole I happened to hit was on a road that PG&E is totally tearing up because of the San Bruno gas pipeline incident a few years back. They are replacing a lot of these old lines. The pothole I hit was not actually related to that and over a mile away, but I think the city had deferred maintenance on the whole road because of it. I usually drive carefully over the mangled section.

Generally, potholes are more frequent than in the past, but I can't say they are too common.

Man, how bad are the potholes where you guys live?

I recently had the opportunity to drive two different P85 loaners, both in the high 20,000 VIN range. The first time was March 4 when I took in my 60 for the 12000 service. It was the first time I had driven another MS ever. It had the 21s, wasn't a big fan of the handling and road noise, I also instantly noticed mine has much nicer materials used on dash, arm rests in the center, and tops of the doors. Then there was the whine, even at lower speeds. It was of course quicker than my 60, but definitely not as silent.

Next was an unplanned service center visit. This past Saturday morning I was heading to meet my mom for some shopping, when I got an error saying the car needed service. It was operating normally, but the error wouldn't go away. I called and then just headed to the SC. It just needed a coolant pump replaced, and they had a silver loaner waiting. This one had the interior I thought I wanted, gray with carbon fiber. Well, after driving it for a day, I don't want the carbon fiber anymore. It's nice, but I like the contrast with a shinier option.

It was fun to drive a newer MS, and even though they were both P85s, I was thrilled to get mine back. It seems we've bonded.

It had the 21s, wasn't a big fan of the handling and road noise

It's interesting to hear from both you and gg about the road noise being an issue with the 21s. In three days of driving the loaner I've been pretty amazed at the ride quality (no decrease in smoothness that I've been able to feel) and road noise (or lack thereof) with the 21s. I'm actually giving serious consideration to replacing my 19s with a set of grey 21s.... if I can find some for a reasonable price. There is no WAY I'm paying Tesla's exorbitant prices for them.

gg_got_a_tesla said:
One other note: after "living" with the pano roof in the loaner, I felt gratified again with my decision not to get one for many of the reasons that I posted elsewhere about. My wife and son agreed too although my son had some fun using the slider to open the roof a couple of times.

Personally, I find myself happier and happier with my decision to get the pano roof. I've ended up using it FAR more than I've ever used a sunroof in any other car I've ever had and I just really enjoy the openness of the experience day and night. To each their own, of course, but I'm super happy with mine.

It was fun to drive a newer MS, and even though they were both P85s, I was thrilled to get mine back. It seems we've bonded.

I agree with this 100%. Even though this car is reasonably close to mine functionally (leather, pano roof, tech package, etc.), I find myself really missing my own car. I guess we've bonded as well. ;-)

PS - I asked the service center if they had any of the carbon fiber spoilers in stock and they did, so I'm having them install it. Can't wait to see it when it gets back tomorrow!

Yes! This was first noted a few months ago but, I saw this with both my recent loaners. I compared the same stretch of asphalt and my garage with these against my own car. My service advisor feigned ignorance of any change there when prompted.
It wasn't a camera spec change per se, but among the early VINs there were some bad optics. I got a loaner, saw the difference, showed them, and they tried cleaning mine, adjusting the autofocus, etc. and determined I needed a new camera. Now it is crystal clear! Hold out for a camera swap...the difference is so notable, including much better low light performance. I am VIN 83XX.