Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner Model X goes back 2morrow....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a 100X for 4 days and loved it. Lots of people enjoyed it dancing and the extra juice as well as door bins (I have a P85S) was great but.......no auto wipers?, 6 seater was useless with dogs in the back - just wandered through:-(
Overall feeling is that the X is over-engineered which meant that windows didnt go up sometimes, wings got stuck open, and auto present doors were really hit and miss - I am sure these issues will be fixed but surely they should work from the factory?

I have really enjoyed the X experience but am looking forward to my P85's return:)

No issues with AP 2 though which was nice.

AP2 cars don
Had a 100X for 4 days and loved it. Lots of people enjoyed it dancing and the extra juice as well as door bins (I have a P85S) was great but.......no auto wipers?, 6 seater was useless with dogs in the back - just wandered through:-(
Overall feeling is that the X is over-engineered which meant that windows didnt go up sometimes, wings got stuck open, and auto present doors were really hit and miss - I am sure these issues will be fixed but surely they should work from the factory?

I have really enjoyed the X experience but am looking forward to my P85's return:)

AP2 S & X's don't have rain sensors. Tesla was planning to use the cameras to detect rain instead, but that isn't going well apparently since they felt the need to add the sensor back into the 3.

I have the 5-seater with fold-down back row and it's amazing for dogs, so much room. I've yet to have my windows stick or doors get stuck open, strange. Finally, a lot of people disable the auto-present driver's door because it's more of a gimmick than anything. Always manages to open when I'm not planning to get in the car which is annoying and therefor I turned it off.

... I've yet to have my windows stick or doors get stuck open, strange. Finally, a lot of people disable the auto-present driver's door because it's more of a gimmick than anything. Always manages to open when I'm not planning to get in the car which is annoying and therefor I turned it off...

i agree with the first part never had these issues either.

however, i can easily come back to the car with both hands full, and the door opens for me, which is nice.

Where do you see that the sensor is back on the 3? I thought it pretty conclusive that that was an internal humidity sensor for the heater for the cameras unless I missed some threads or something!

Only difference I’m aware of for the 3 is the internal camera for ‘Tesla Network’ :D.

i agree with the first part never had these issues either.

however, i can easily come back to the car with both hands full, and the door opens for me, which is nice.
Have an X and never had any of the above problems, with the caveat that i have an early build from Sept 2016-- so my wipers work really well. As for auto presenting doors, wish i got this feature, i had a chance to try them on a loaner X last year for service on the door latch. THought it was a gimmick, but got used to auto presenting doors really fast. Comes in handy in parking lots, when you are holding kiddos' hands and then busy buckling them into their seats.

And like many of the options, if you don’t like them, you can turn them off. Or turn them on for special trips. I haven’t had any of these issues either in a month of using my car and a loaner 100D. But everyone’s experience and expectations are different.

I have both an X and a S and I’ve never had any of those problems. I’m a young guy in good shape but still love how easy the entry and exit is in the X compared to our S, but also love the perceived more sporty driving position in the S. I don’t understand the poor design on the S where the leather trim area sticks so far out near the seat belt on the B pillar, you have to be very careful entering so as not to scuff with your butt, every used S I’ve seen has excessive wear there. The X self presenting doors are a feature that wows on lookers and the self closing front doors is something that after being accustomed to makes the S doors seem archaic. The X self presenting doors do open in my garage at times if I forget and leave the key in my pocket but we typically leave it in the car then it’s no problem. We had a loaner X recently and the AP2 is a step backwards but that is the common consensus among owners of both AP1 and AP2. The X does have very sub-standard body panel and trim fit compared to our S which is very close to if not up to the standards of a typical car.

Last edited:

I had the pleasure of receiving a brand new (10 miles on the odometer) Model X P100DL as a loaner as my Model S is in the paint shop to fix several blemishes that were noted at delivery. I was testing out the Falcon Wing doors in my garage and had a very difficult time closing the passenger side. It would pull the door in and then a second later it popped out about an inch and the display would show that it was not closed. I had to cycle the door open and then close over a dozen times before it closed properly. I was getting worried that I would never get it closed and would have to call for service but I finally got it closed. Needless to say I haven't opened that door again!

On the plus side I tried out the Ludicrous mode. I can confirm it definitely is Ludicrous! It's just amazing to experience a car still trying to fight for traction on dry pavement as it goes over 40 miles/hour. While I had a great time with the Model X I am also ready to get back into my Model S. The X just seems too show car-ish for my taste and feel that the FWD, while a very cool feature would not hold up well over time.

Same here. Returning my loaner X100D after just over a week (1k miles) and similar sentiment.

My kids loved the doors and neighborhood congregated around the Model Xmas show nightly.
My wife enjoyed the suv height while driving.
I liked the additional cargo space and when they functioned correctly the falcon wing doors made kid loading/unloading easier.

But there are negatives: AP2 is far from even parity with AP1, the doors on this June 2017 build rubbed and had signs of paint transfer, and the style of the X in general is not to my taste.