Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner MS ... interesting observation.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my MS in for service was given a New MS P100D. Noticed there was no badge on it then when I looked under "about this Tesla" this is what came up - thought it was pretty interesting. You can drive one MS and compare it to how other MS would drive. Still curious as to why no badge? Would they make all MS come with the same battery then if you wanted to upgrade from a 75 to say a 100 you could just upgrade like they were doing with the 60 to the 75? Interesting thought. Would explain why no badge. Or is this simply a demo car so as to not need all the different models for test drives?
IMG_0381.jpeg

Took my MS in for service was given a New MS P100D. Noticed there was no badge on it then when I looked under "about this Tesla" this is what came up - thought it was pretty interesting. You can drive one MS and compare it to how other MS would drive. Still curious as to why no badge? Would they make all MS come with the same battery then if you wanted to upgrade from a 75 to say a 100 you could just upgrade like they were doing with the 60 to the 75? Interesting thought. Would explain why no badge. Or is this simply a demo car so as to not need all the different models for test drives?
View attachment 221838

It's in demo mode. Higher end cars can "simulate" lower end performance, etc, not the other way around. If you search for it, here is a code to enter to get your own car to do this (downward).

My electrical engineer buddy said, tesla makes one battery, it would too costly to make 5 different batteries
He believes they program what they want out of it. He said he can not imagine 5 different batteries, just much floor space and parts.
Just like ludicrous mode is in your software load, you just have to pay 10k to get turned on. Why would they waste Internet time to download gigs of a new sw module?

My electrical engineer buddy said, tesla makes one battery, it would too costly to make 5 different batteries
He believes they program what they want out of it. He said he can not imagine 5 different batteries, just much floor space and parts.
Just like ludicrous mode is in your software load, you just have to pay 10k to get turned on. Why would they waste Internet time to download gigs of a new sw module?
Cool story bro

• Funny
Reactions: Hugh Mannity
View attachment 221838

Which service center was this please? I live near many in the Bay Area and choose where to go based on my chances of getting a Tesla loaner and not a crap ICE loaner.

Your buddy is confused. We know from monitoring supercharging sessions that 60 and 75 cars have a lower system voltage than 90 and 100 cars. There are plenty of teardown pictures on various threads showing you how all the modules work.

Tesla isn't dumb - up until the 100 came out, they were all based on the same module geometry, and only the original 60 didn't use fully filled modules. Small battery cars don't have the two modules in the front center of the pack, so they only have 14 modules instead of 16 - but the modules are all the same. (The change from 70/85 to 75/90 is due to new chemistry in the cells themselves.)

I wouldn't be surprised if about the time the 3 comes out Tesla transitions to entirely 100 modules - discontinuing the 75 and replacing it with an 80-85 (possibly adding back a software limited 70 if they need to drive demand.)

Sometime in the fall or next spring they'll probably transition to 2170 cells in the S/X - which might mean yet higher capacity modules or might not. We also know that Tesla has patented heat pipe end cooling thermal management systems and flexible circuit board connections which we haven't seen yet (including the 100 pack teardown on another thread,) and might show up in the 3 or in the 2170 S/X...

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad