Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner program being eliminated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon needs profitability ASAP. Selling loaners and limiting cars in inventory helps. As for his promises of "evenyone will get a P100D", come on, that's just Elon hype, everybody knows how those turn out. To illustrate, here is a small sample:
  • Elon hype: "691hp P85D - 700hp car people". Delivered: 463hp car, but motors are capable
  • Elon hype: "AP1 will find you anywhere on private property". Delivered: drive up to 40ft in straight line while holding a button and watching for the car not to hit anything
  • Elon hype: "Coming soon - SDK to create apps for the car". Delivered: nothing 6 years later
  • Elon hype "Blind Spot Warning safety feature". Delivered: AP1 BSM that works in a parking lot, on a highway it misses half the cars in your blind spot
See the pattern? Notice that those are not "missed deadline" misses - those are final, "will never deliver anything better" results. "P100D loaner for everyone in service" is the same. Over the years I've had many loaners, but never once a P100D.

To say it in Tesla-speak - "the Service Centers are totally capable or giving everyone a P100D loaner, they are just limited by the lack of P100D's in stock". ;)

My model s was in the shop 2 days near Toronto Canada to hunt down an AC fan squeal issue. No panels available even though I was one of the first there in the morning. Got an enterprise Mercedes c300 loaner, made me appreciate just how much better Teslas are.

The service folks did a great job and found a squealing eveporator fan. It had been really hot this summer here, in fact almost all summers seem to be the hottest that I remember...

How about the option of not even being given an ICE car as a loaner which appears to be happening now:eek:

I would flat out refuse. I've rescheduled appointments until they can guarantee me a Tesla loaner the very few times I've needed one (full headliner 10-11 piece replacement, drive unit/annual service, and I can't remember the other one)

So that's what, 3 times out of 30+ visits? 90+% of the time, I just work in the waiting area until the car is ready. Even half shafts (at least the first time - I'm due for a second set here soon) took less than a full day.

Now, they've kindly offered a loaner a bunch of times, but so many people don't plan ahead (or something happens spontaneously and they'd be screwed without a loaner) that I just say no, with the aforementioned exceptions.

My *hope* is that they accelerate the ramp of mobile techs and the establishment of mobile depots (not customer facing - just intake for parts and a whole bunch of vans that go out and come back every day) so that I just don't have to go to an SvC barring calamity.

I view SvCs the same way I view marinas versus being at anchor. Bad things happen on land, and I've lost count of the number of times damage has occurred at an SvC - the latest being scratched tint and more scuffs on the kick plates. And that's with the last 3 visits being considered *good* with a great staff. Fortunately none of my trim has gotten dented yet with this car. And people wonder why I take pictures inside and out every time anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Here is what I got for a loaner yesterday :D

Attachments

• IMG_0289.JPG
    IMG_0289.JPG
    474.7 KB · Views: 136
Was this guy crazy? Have other folks had trouble getting loaners? Has anyone else heard anything about the loaner program being eliminated?

In a twist of fate, I ended up with a brand new Model X P100D so now I’m not sure what to think.

They read your first post here and just wanted to mess with you.

I've had a ModelS loaner for 3 months. Given the increased number of cars they are selling, and the generally awful quality of what they sell it makes perfect sense that their available inventory of loaners would be near zero.

Many of the loaners are buybacks that can't be resold. Those aren't going anywhere.

you've had a loaner for 3 months?? whats happening to your car? At the very least i guess you arent putting miles on your car. that seems like a win to me

Well there goes me doing Tesla service. The Model S/X service plan is quite pricy for what they do. What makes it more bearable is they offer loaners/rentals while you wait for you car. If you count these as car rentals, then the service plan comes out not too bad. Typical cost would be around $200 or so if you factor in the rental cost. Obviously if you had another car, then the rental cost is moot to you, but I don't carry a spare car so it is worth something to me. All in all though I still think those service plan is a rip off, but heh you get what you get.

Wouldn't it be great if they reconstitute their loaner fleet with Model 3 cars?

It would cost them far less to produce those cars and a Model 3 will still be better than any ICE bucket.

Whatever they do, I hope they fine the living daylights out of people who abuse/damage loaner cars so that Tesla does not end up having to eat that cost. We always return loaners generally in better shape than we found them but it is shocking to see the disregard some people treat loaner cars. I bet abuse is one of the biggest reasons the practice of giving out Model S loaners is not sustainable.

Perhaps this is why they are using Enterprise for their loaners as rental car companies are equipped and experienced in dealing with rental returns.

At $9,000/Min cash burn you tend to have a list of priorities.

1.) Tesla production margins
2.) Tesla production volume
3.) Service costs
745.) People driving a non Tesla owner for awhile if it can help Tesla survive by improving the bottom line.

I promise you that the extra emissions from your Ice loaner isn't going to turn California into the sea nation Atlantis in the next week or so that your car is going to be in service.

At $9,000/Min cash burn you tend to have a list of priorities.

1.) Tesla production margins
2.) Tesla production volume
3.) Service costs
745.) People driving a non Tesla owner for awhile if it can help Tesla survive by improving the bottom line.

I promise you that the extra emissions from your Ice loaner isn't going to turn California into the sea nation Atlantis in the next week or so that your car is going to be in service.
Thanks. Helpful comment.

I also was offered a Mercedes C300 as all Tesla loaners were gone. I suspect that the SC chose the C300 on purpose to augment their fleet. The transmission selector and much of the switch gear is identical to a Model S. It even shut off to remain totally silent at stop lights.

I topped up the fuel as if I was returning a rental and that was appreciated.

Most of all the Merc reminded me of our BMW which was a fine car that handled well. Offering a loaner car sourced from a potential competitor may not be the best marketing plan.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: spectrum and Teslie