Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner program being eliminated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have gotten a Tesla loaner every time we have taken any of our cars in since the loaner program started. 2012? 2013?

Once they called to say I would get a gas rental, but I could get a Tesla loaner if I just moved my service date a couple of days.

My Dad bought a 3 last week. He took it in to have them adjust something with the seatbelt. He got a Tesla loaner too.

I think how many loaners are available at each center is partly decided by local employees, though they sometimes get orders to unload before, say, a new fleet with enhanced features is sent out.

If the loaner program is going away without a replacement, I'm very concerned. It's bad enough to have to take the time out of my week to go there, drop off the car, get a loaner, then go back again the next day. It's a total of 4 hours. If they replace it with Lyft service both ways, that's OK. I just take the loaner home and back.

Tesla needs to distinguish the cheaper cars from the premium cars. One thing they could do is offer free loaners for life to premium car owners (Model S, X, and Roadster). That sort of thing is offered by some other premium car makers.

At the Portland service center when I have gotten Tesla loaners, they have always been lease returns or older cars traded in. One time I got a Model S 75D that had never been sold. A few times I've had rental cars. One time it was an awful Nissan that was one of the least comfortable cars I've ever driven.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
If the loaner program is going away without a replacement, I'm very concerned. It's bad enough to have to take the time out of my week to go there, drop off the car, get a loaner, then go back again the next day. It's a total of 4 hours. If they replace it with Lyft service both ways, that's OK. I just take the loaner home and back.

Tesla needs to distinguish the cheaper cars from the premium cars. One thing they could do is offer free loaners for life to premium car owners (Model S, X, and Roadster). That sort of thing is offered by some other premium car makers.

At the Portland service center when I have gotten Tesla loaners, they have always been lease returns or older cars traded in. One time I got a Model S 75D that had never been sold. A few times I've had rental cars. One time it was an awful Nissan that was one of the least comfortable cars I've ever driven.
I got a loaner on Monday.

I find it interesting many of the people who are utterly incensed at the prices Tesla charges for service are also unwavering in their demand that they be provided with a loaner vehicle that very conservatively costs Tesla $1.50 for every single mile driven, possibly double that.
I'd rather have lowered service prices and figure out my own transportation personally. I can pay for my own Uber/get a ride from someone else. For warranty issues, that's another story.

Every visit I've had to Tesla service I have received a Tesla loaner! But I have also been accommodating, one time they gave me the option of a new S or a new X (still in the wrapper), I chose the S (still can't stand the body style of the X), They told me it would be a couple hours while they prepped the car, I told them to give it to me the way it was.... When I returned it a week later, I had it cleaned and all the shipping wrap removed and even charged it to 80% when I dropped it off... after that - every time i get a brand new S when I get service..... moral of the story is, don't be a bitch to the service team and be flexible. These guys and gals are busting their butts to get stuff done..

I got a loaner on Monday.

The OP said that Tesla service told him they are discontinuing the program next year.

The Portland SC is crazy busy. They do have some loaners and they do use Enterprise but because they service Idaho and Montana they do have a pretty good mobile service.

Portland or just Oregon/SW Washington in general needs a couple more service centers. They did send out a ranger to do the brake recall fix. That was sooo nice.

The owners in Bend or Eugene need to plan a day or two to take in their car. I just live on the fringe of the metro area, but it's still a pain.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I'm a bit put off that when purchasing the car they advertised tesla loaners but now are making everyone go to enterprise. It's not so much about the car as the time the nonsense taking with renting with enterprise. Anyone have any luck getting them pay for uber there and back or other options? I'm so annoyed they eliminated the loaner program.

I took our new-to-us Used Tesla to my local SC for some warranty work (low coolant warning when parked on a steep slope and non-functioning rear defroster). It took 5 weeks to get an appointment at my heavily impacted SC. I brought the car in at 2pm and the drop-off line was well into the street. They didn't have any loaners available (understandable given the volume of customers), but they did offer me a rental through Enterprise or a Lyft ride home. They said they'd give me a call in 3 hours with an update and that the car could be ready by Tuesday. Since we have 3 extra vehicles and the duration didn't sound so bad, I opted for the Lyft ride. Maybe that was a mistake.

The car sat in the back of the SC for 4 days untouched, worked on during Wednesday, then sat at an auxiliary lot for 7 days. I finally got the car back yesterday after waiting 13 days. Since my last two Lyft rides have been downright terrifying (nearly got T-boned when the driver didn't see cross-traffic and the other driver was high as a kite), I decided to jog the 1.8 miles to the SC. Took less than 20 minutes to run there and glad to see the car in tip-top shape.

It got me thinking that Tesla could save a lot of money on rental cars/loaners if they appropriately scheduled their appointments. Instead of taking my car on Friday just to sit there for the 4 days, they could have scheduled the appointment when they could commit to working on it. They could do over-the-air diagnosis or send a mobile unit out for an evaluation, then triage the SC based on severity. I'm sure most services can be done under a shade tree.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid