Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner / Rental fleet almost completely eliminated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Palo Alto. Uber credits, while not great, could be acceptable in some circumstances, but given a child transport requirement is not really a feasible option in my case. Getting a driver to allow a car seat installation in their vehicle is practically impossible, which is why Uber has a specific "Car Seat Vehicle" option in NYC.

Pablo Alto has an Enterprise desk that has probably 15 Model S loaners.

When my car was in there for 5 days I had one of them.

This wouldnt work for me. SC is over and 1.5 hours away. The uber credit wouldn't even cover one way back home, let alone getting back to the SC and needing a car to get to work. I understand they don't have enough loaners now with all the 3's on the road. But they need to keep loaners reserved for people coming from long distances or at least give enterprise.

Must be location specific. My local (SLC) service center used to do Enterprise but then switched to Uber credits but some time last year switched to Tesla loaners. The lot is *literally* filled with them. i dropped off my S yesterday and got an S loaner.

Hopefully all service centers will be like that eventually.

This wouldnt work for me. SC is over and 1.5 hours away. The uber credit wouldn't even cover one way back home, let alone getting back to the SC and needing a car to get to work. I understand they don't have enough loaners now with all the 3's on the road. But they need to keep loaners reserved for people coming from long distances or at least give enterprise.

How much Uber credits did they offer you? I'm sure they would adjust it to make sure you got to where you needed to go. I needed to travel 12 miles (about 20 minutes away) and they threw $200 of Uber credits my way. It was the first time in four visits that they didn't have a loaner available for me (Rocklin, CA SC). This was just last month. I don't know if things have changed with regard to loaners but the car's been perfect so I haven't visited the SC.

It depends on SC. I know at the Decatur SC I get my car serviced at always gives me some form of a loaner car (most of the time S loaners). I just dropped my car off at the SC today because the heater quit working (and wiper blade replacements). They (one of the Advisors) estimated that the car would be done by the end of the day, it turns out it won't be for another day or two...and so they handed me the keys to a loaner and I was on my merry way.

The Charlotte, NC service center gave me a loaner P90D S just to drive around while I was waiting for a same-day appointment. They actually seemed pretty busy, too.

Uber wouldn’t work for me if I had my car in the shop for more than a same-day appointment, I’m 140 miles away. Even if I could get an Uber to take me all the way back to Asheville, I have two young kids with car seats that I would need to get back and forth.

Uber / Lyft credits would be fine for me.
It makes for a quick in and out with no hassle to check the rental for damage.
If it is more efficient for both Tesla and the customer I see no problem with it.

The one time I had Uber credits instead of a loaner, I actually preferred being chauffered around by Uber because it allowed me to remote in and still focus on work matters instead of me doing the driving and not being able to respond to any work items until I reaches the office.

I just got my car back from service yesterday and had a loaner for 4 days... Never had a problem getting loaners anywhere in Florida. For what it's worth: I've read that after CA, either FL or NY has the most Teslas on the road.
I don't travel much to FL or NY, but Seattle area has almost as many Teslas as silicon valley in CA (I travel there regularly). You see Teslas everywhere you drive. 3 Service Centers within an hour driving distance, and they run out of even ICE car if you are not dropping off before noon (out of Tesla loaners by 9 or 10am) - at least that has been the situation last year, haven't been there since the summer when I spent 3 hours waiting for an ICE loaner. $100 Uber credits doesn't cover all the daily driving, heck for me it doesn't even cover a round trip home.

Why doesn't Tesla have Courtesy Drivers. Take people where they need to go. Maybe something like a 30 mile radius of the SC. When your Car is ready they come get you.
They got rid of those long ago. This also doesn't work with the parking queue model they use today - "when you drop it we put your car in a lot for 1-3 days while it waits in the queue for the shop - sorry, we know you scheduled 30 days in advance, but this is how we operate now".

• Informative
Reactions: Gizmotoy
I don't travel much to FL or NY, but Seattle area has almost as many Teslas as silicon valley in CA (I travel there regularly). You see Teslas everywhere you drive. 3 Service Centers within an hour driving distance, and they run out of even ICE car if you are not dropping off before noon (out of Tesla loaners by 9 or 10am) - at least that has been the situation last year, haven't been there since the summer when I spent 3 hours waiting for an ICE loaner. $100 Uber credits doesn't cover all the daily driving, heck for me it doesn't even cover a round trip home.
I've only ever dealt with the Seattle SC and that was twice last year, once in early 2019 and once in the late summer and both times they gave me a loaner S. One from their own fleet and one from enterprise. Both times I dropped off at closing. They said they wont hold loaners and it's kind of the luck of the draw. Supply vs demand