Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It all depends on what’s available. It doesn’t appear that 3s are treated any differently than S or X in that regard. In my one loaner for my Model 3 I had a Model S. When I took my Model S in for service I usually was given a Model S, once had a Model X, and once an Enterprise ICE.

Ive been to service three times with my Model 3, 1st is a mustang, 2nd was a infinite, 3rd was a Nissan. It’s understandable since I saw more than 10+ cars siting inside service center every time I went there. However, Think of it in optimistic way: hey, I got rental rewards from Hertz ;)

I got an email from the Service Center:

With regards to alternate transportation, although we would love to put everyone into a Tesla loaner, sometimes our inventory does not allow. We do offer other Luxury Rentals for your to use.

Sounds like I'll most likely be getting an ICE. I hope "Luxury Rentals" means BMW or better.

What did Tesla do with all the prototype vehicles that were driving around? Seems like those would make perfect loaners.
When you get ICE cars, who pays for gas - you or Tesla? If Tesla, then how do they do it? Do you need to bring receipts? Do they return money to your credit card, give you cash or is it a tesla credit?
Based on a youtube video I saw, you bring in the receipts and they will reimburse you.

What did Tesla do with all the prototype vehicles that were driving around? Seems like those would make perfect loaners.

Based on a youtube video I saw, you bring in the receipts and they will reimburse you.

That's correct. Even if it comes from a rental agency they use.

I've had my car in many times over the almost 3 years of ownership. I've only gotten a Tesla ONCE from Tesla directly. The other times have been with Enterprise - twice I got Model S (yes, they have Tesla rentals!), twice in a BMW 3 series, Mercedes C-class, Cadillac SRX, and a few other ICE cars.

I have to bring it again for another issue and I'm really hoping I get a Model S...but it's really more likely that it will be an ICE again.

For those of you who dropped off your Model 3 to a service center, are you guys receiving a Tesla as a loaner or an ICE vehicle?

Totally depends on your service center, how many cars they have in for service, and how many loaners they have. I got a really beat up Nissan as a lower out of San Diego. I saw others driving away in various ICE vehicles that were arranged by the service center itself (not an Enterprise rental). Horrible feeling to drop off a brand new 60K car only a couple of weeks old and be given a 12K car as a loaner with no time estimate for repair work.

When I got my car back and asked how to increase my chances of getting a Tesla loaner the next time, the tech said it's not really predictable because they have only around 30 Tesla loaners and over 100 Telsas in for service at any given time. He said a lot of loaners were listed for sale by Tesla as previously-owned, so if someone decides to buy one, the loaner fleet gets smaller and it doesn't necessarily get replaced.