Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ckwong

Mar 15, 2017
NJ
For people in the mid to east coast what is your local SC giving you as a loaner? My local SC in Paramus, NJ said Tesla took back most of their Tesla loaners and they are left with ICE cars that are rented from Hertz. I've had my MX for around 6-7 weeks and it's in the SC for the third time. First time I got a MS, second time an Infiniti Q50 and then I requested for an SUV while making my third apt. Brought my MX for service today and I received a Kia Sorento...Seriously??? I understand they might not have any MX or MS available but a KIA!!! :mad: I don't expect a loaner to be of equal value but at least give a luxury SUV! I only asked mid to east coast people assuming you guys on the west coast would all get Tesla loaners as you are so close to Tesla Headquarters.

Three sc visits in under two months of ownership, Chevy Cruze, Infinity Q80, last visit model s 85 w/o autopilot. I have another appointment and it's a three week wait if I want to have a Tesla loaner.

I though Elon told us we would receive an equivalent vehicle with all the options enabled, guess he was talking about the far far future.

Highland Park, Chicago had about 10 new X75D (new Faster 0-60, very noticeable compared to mine) loaners and last week I charged there and I saw at least one S/X P100D that had dealer plates, which is usually only used on demo/loaners. I go back Monday of next week and I will see if I can snag a P100D loaner and I will report back. Of interest when I got the X75D, they where still using CPO S's and had no new loaners and the X's where the first major batch they had ever received as loaner/demo cars. And thinking back, they never had one parked inside for display until about a month ago when they got these Xs. I think they have finally caught up with production backlogs of X and pushed out a bunch of display/demo/loaner cars for the service centers, many for the first time.

i've only ever had Tesla's for loaners...Columbus OH.

SP90DL Classic nose, SP100DL (with 400 miles), X90D, S75D (I put 1800+ miles on this one!), SP90DL facelift, are all the ones i've driven.

And i know they now have XP100D! :D

This is what happens when Tesla needs to meet a sales deadline cutoff... They idiotically gut their loaner fleet for short term gain... This isn't the first time and it won't be the last until someone at Tesla steps in and says no, you're not taking my loaner fleet this time...

I'd love to know who in the hell thinks it's okay to hand someone a KIA when they're dropping off their Model S/X for service...???

Jeff

This is what happens when Tesla needs to meet a sales deadline cutoff... They idiotically gut their loaner fleet for short term gain... This isn't the first time and it won't be the last until someone at Tesla steps in and says no, you're not taking my loaner fleet this time...

I'd love to know who in the hell thinks it's okay to hand someone a KIA when they're dropping off their Model S/X for service...???

Jeff
I've once taken my Porsche in for service and they gave me an American car as loaner. I don't even know what it was but something like basic trim Charger. That was 10 years ago.

I've once taken my Porsche in for service and they gave me an American car as loaner. I don't even know what it was but something like basic trim Charger. That was 10 years ago.
never once in my entire experience with Lexus was i given anything besides a lexus...

they run the repair department as a separate company that does 6 month leases on the Lexus IS, ES & RX and then they swap them out for new ones and sell the others as CPO or demo models, works wonderfully and our local dealer had 80+ cars in the loaner fleet (granted they have more cars/customers than Tesla which need oil changes/more maintenance etc.)

i don't see why Tesla couldn't do the same thing with 20-30+/- cars per service location depending on need/demand...

When I had my Porsche and it went into service I got a Boxster, another Panamera and new cayennes. They have an agreement with enterprise and use them only until 6k miles then sell back to dealer. Now they only have cayennes and macans but very well equipped. Tesla may still need same amount of loaners due to quality control issues.
never once in my entire experience with Lexus was i given anything besides a lexus...

they run the repair department as a separate company that does 6 month leases on the Lexus IS, ES & RX and then they swap them out for new ones and sell the others as CPO or demo models, works wonderfully and our local dealer had 80+ cars in the loaner fleet (granted they have more cars/customers than Tesla which need oil changes/more maintenance etc.)

i don't see why Tesla couldn't do the same thing with 20-30+/- cars per service location depending on need/demand...

My experience from my east coast, Tysons Corner, VA service center is somewhat mixed. Depending on the nature of the service/repair (i.e. cause of the issue, length of time they need to keep your car), it's been older 2012-2014 Model S loaners, or ICE vehicles such as a Cadillac sedan or Infiniti SUV.

I don't think it's fair to expect or compare Toyota/Lexus and/or even the German auto-makers who produce over 10M vehicles a year, to a Tesla, who barely can churn out 100K in a year. Tesla cannot just produce 25-50 extra loaner cars for each Service Center just yet for customers who need them...the production numbers don't add up to being at that level yet. It's "Musk-vision" that one day that they will loan you a Tesla better than the one you own, but that could be 1 year from now or 5 years from now...hard to say. Those that are upset by getting an ICE car as a loaner need to remind themselves that you signed up to buy a luxury car from a small niche, electric car maker that is still in it's infancy/start-up phase and probably will be in that phase for the next 5-10 years. This is not a company that has been producing cars since World War II...

All that said, yes...I feel your annoyance/frustration of getting a Kia or any ICE car when taking our Teslas in for service. I think this is something they are aware and will work to resolve sooner rather than later...with our patience of course.

Reactions: Mrcook4590
Dallas, TX - visited SC a few times for usually minor things:
  1. Cadillac XTS (nice enough, but not a Tesla)
  2. Lincoln MKZ (looks nice, but not great; not a Tesla)
  3. Tesla Model X P90D (almost every option; very nice, 13k miles)
I try to only do service now if they have a Tesla available (which ever model/trim).
Dallas SC always seemed to only have a few Model S for loaners (my limited viewpoint). But it seemed they had more this last/current time.