Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaners now speed limited?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to update this thread!
Recently got a 70D as a loaner.
It wasn't speed limited at all I think Tesla may have either stopped this or they arent doing it to every new car especially the refreshed one's.

The policy has not changed. However, enabling/disabling the requires a tech to log into the car using the rolling service code and going into the menus to pick that. Very easy for "human error" to miss it, particularly if a location frequently rotates through service loaners (the existing ones get sold and different ones become loaners). You will often find the loaner in your possession available for sale on the CPO website and can watch the mileage change daily while it is in your possession.

The policy has not changed. However, enabling/disabling the requires a tech to log into the car using the rolling service code and going into the menus to pick that. Very easy for "human error" to miss it, particularly if a location frequently rotates through service loaners (the existing ones get sold and different ones become loaners). You will often find the loaner in your possession available for sale on the CPO website and can watch the mileage change daily while it is in your possession.

Did not know that!

My Dec 2014 inventory car was speed limited. I did nit notice it until my first road trip. I called the Tesla help line, they asked me to stop in a safe place, I did, they disengaged the limiter and that was that. I think the limiters are probably a good idea.

No they definitely are still doing it. I just had a loaner S85 with the speed limiter. I think it just depends on the service center and I don't know if anyone else has noticed but the service centers have a really hard time with consistency. So it wouldn't surprise me if some of the cars simply don't have it because of oversight.

Guys, a question, are miles on loaner limited? Like do they say no more than 50 miles a day? I am not talking crazy like putting 1000 miles on a loaner over 3 days, but maybe 300 miles over a weekend? Would that be OK?

I picked up my CPO in Marietta, GA, I live in NW Alabama, roughly 250 miles away. My car wasn't actually ready when I traded the old one in so I drove a loaner for a week. Also I live more than 100 miles from the closest service center and 50 miles from work, so when I get a loaner I put on at least 100 miles a day plus the 200+ miles round trip home from the SC. They are aware of the mileage I will put on it in advance and I've never had any issues whatsoever. I hope this helps...

I just found out today that my car was speed limited. Purchased 7 months ago. Inventory car, but with virtually no miles.
They removed it over the air.
The strange thing is that I thought I drove around ~90 on a couple instances during recent road trips and the limit is supposed to be 85.