Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Local CBS story, Tesla in autopilot mode hits fire truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fire truck was "already working on another accident", which means it was stationary. It's well known and in the manual that the autopilot doesn't recognize stationary objects, unless you were following another car in traffic and it slows and stops. So it may well have been engaged, but that's exactly why the driver needed to be paying attention.

The fire truck was "already working on another accident", which means it was stationary. It's well known and in the manual that the autopilot doesn't recognize stationary objects, unless you were following another car in traffic and it slows and stops. So it may well have been engaged, but that's exactly why the driver needed to be paying attention.

Sadly, I would guess a majority of owners do not read the manual. Watched a YouTube video with two guys talking about texting and autopilot. It was clear they had never read up on the autopilot. Pretty complex functions in this car to just "wing it".

Reactions: jldf310
EAP or AP? Autopilot gets thrown around loosely all the time. Which feature of Autopilot was in use?

Nice wheels and black out on it. Thankfully the firefighters weren't injured or the driver. Definitely the driver not paying attention no matter how he wants to spin it. Also shouldn't have been doing the 65 miles around emergency vehicles and an accident.

EAP or AP? Autopilot gets thrown around loosely all the time. Which feature of Autopilot was in use?

Nice wheels and black out on it. Thankfully the firefighters weren't injured or the driver. Definitely the driver not paying attention no matter how he wants to spin it. Also shouldn't have been doing the 65 miles around emergency vehicles and an accident.

From the accident image, the vehicle is an AP1 vehicle, so definitely not EAP.

It's unclear whether it's TACC or Autosteer, but IMO, failing to notice a fire truck in your lane suggests a level of distraction not possible with TACC since you still kind of have to steer. Most likely the driver had Autosteer engaged and zoned out.

Sadly, I would guess a majority of owners do not read the manual. Watched a YouTube video with two guys talking about texting and autopilot. It was clear they had never read up on the autopilot. Pretty complex functions in this car to just "wing it".

Yeah, I hope it just serves as a reminder that we are responsible when driving. I use TACC on surface streets when I feel safe with it. That’s not always. It has limitations
And as @SMAlset mentioed, why was this driver going 65 on the freeway with an emergency vehicle stopped ahead of him
User error

Reactions: Ciaopec
The driver must have been doing anything but monitoring the car, like he should.
Exactly. Most people don't read the fine print that they have to watch it like a hawk and be ready to take over in a split second, i.e. drive as if you had a seizure prone child on your lap steering the car and controlling the accelerator and brake. Elon's hype and spin how the cars are capable of full self driving (cars are, not the sensors or software, but that's the spin part) and how "it's coming soon" hype confuses people. Some think if they heard Elon promise something as "coming soon" years ago, it must be here today already.

Not surprised here one bit after nearly a year of being in the EAP/FSD (or lack there of). The guy clearly needed to be paying better attention per the terms but hitting the biggest object that can be on the road, bright red no less is pretty bad. Aside from the fact that this guy is 100% okay (or that's what it sounds like) this seems even more avoidable than the crash with a tractor trailer a while ago.

Musk claimed they'd do a coast to coast drive in 2017 and AP2 is still slamming into fire trucks in the middle of the highway, this guy has fault, but so does Tesla and Musk. I've been in test drives where the rep is making all kinds of claims bout this tech that frankly aren't real. Add this to Elons notorious hype habit and I'm going to place less of the share of blame on many of these drivers. It annoyed me to see Navigant recently ranked Tesla dead last in automation. Days later this happens, I'm inclined to believe the rating.

[Edit] Funny enough i now have a new update pushed this morning. Hopefully its not trivial stuff. ;)

Me too, unfortunately. I think that those of us that paid for FSD were just making a donation to R&D and will never see anything from it.

Yeah, I have pretty much given up on that promise. Just wondering what they are going to do with all the money many of us paid for FSD over a year ago. I don't see it happening, The system is not safe and I would never trust it to FSD.