Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

local focus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can the Sub forums have folders within them as well? Could have Regional/Midwest then an Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa all with separate folders.
I tend to agree with what doug has alluded to earlier -- we can start regional or local threads, and as activity grows new sub-forums can be made to accommodate that and threads moved there.

Otherwise, we could end up with several empty or nearly-empty forums, which just adds to the clutter...

I agree with Doug, also. I put out a call for Sacramento folks (rather than being lumped in with SF) - and one reply, from a forum member who will be in the area on occasion once he receives his Model S. Doesn't make sense to have a Sac forum at this point in time.

If you started each name with the GMT time zone, it would be easier to keep sorted. Ignore daylight savings. -7 San Francisco Bay. -7 So Cal. etc.

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I just noticed that Florida is listed twice. It's listed as a state within the "Southeast" section and it's also listed as its own "Florida" section.

Perhaps it should be removed from the list of states for the Southeast section so that all Florida posts end up in the same place?

Edit: Now that I look at it, it would probably make sense to remove Florida from Southeast considering that California (which also has its own section) isn't listed within Southwest.

Last edited:
I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I just noticed that Florida is listed twice. It's listed as a state within the "Southeast" section and it's also listed as its own "Florida" section.

Perhaps it should be removed from the list of states for the Southeast section so that all Florida posts end up in the same place?

Edit: Now that I look at it, it would probably make sense to remove Florida from Southeast considering that California (which also has its own section) isn't listed within Southwest.
Thanks for pointing that out. Now fixed. Was left over from this discussion: Change Florida forum name?

I've formed an Arizona Tesla Group. If interested, please go to "Community" and then "Groups" to sign up.

Come to think of it, it might be a good idea for each community to form a Group to advocate for common interests like charging stations, EV incentives, solar options, etc. Thanks.

Last edited:
It might make sense to try to promote Tesla member communication within the metropolitan areas that are most apt to have the population density to allow a group to exist. Maybe with Threads for each area or maybe with Groups. I have to think that the needs of Tesla owners in my community will be different than those in Maine so it just makes sense to band together.

RankMetropolitan Statistical Area2011 Estimate2010 CensusChangeCombined Statistical Area
1New York–Northern New Jersey–Long Island, NY–NJ–PA MSA19,015,90018,897,109+0.63%New York–Newark–Bridgeport, NY–NJ–CT–PA CSA
2Los Angeles–Long Beach–Santa Ana, CA MSA12,944,80112,828,837+0.90%Los Angeles–Long Beach–Riverside, CA CSA
3Chicago–Joliet–Naperville, IL–IN–WI MSA9,504,7539,461,105+0.46%Chicago–Naperville–Michigan City, IL–IN–WI CSA
4Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington, TX MSA6,526,5486,371,773+2.43%Dallas–Fort Worth, TX CSA
5Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown, TX MSA6,086,5385,946,800+2.35%Houston–Baytown–Huntsville, TX CSA
6Philadelphia–Camden–Wilmington, PA–NJ–DE–MD MSA5,992,4145,965,343+0.45%Philadelphia–Camden–Vineland, PA–NJ–DE–MD CSA
7Washington–Arlington–Alexandria, DC–VA–MD–WV MSA5,703,9485,582,170+2.18%Washington–Baltimore–Northern Virginia, DC–MD–VA–WV CSA
8Miami–Fort Lauderdale–Pompano Beach, FL MSA5,670,1255,564,635+1.90%primary census statistical area
9Atlanta–Sandy Springs–Marietta, GA MSA5,359,2055,268,860+1.71%Atlanta–Sandy Springs–Gainesville, GA–AL CSA
10Boston–Cambridge–Quincy, MA–NH MSA4,591,1124,552,402+0.85%Boston–Worcester–Manchester, MA–RI–NH CSA
11San Francisco–Oakland–Fremont, CA MSA4,391,0374,335,391+1.28%San Jose–San Francisco–Oakland, CA CSA
12Riverside–San Bernardino–Ontario, CA MSA4,304,9974,224,851+1.90%Los Angeles–Long Beach–Riverside, CA CSA
13Detroit–Warren–Livonia, MI MSA4,285,8324,296,250−0.24%Detroit–Warren–Flint, MI CSA
14Phoenix–Mesa–Glendale, AZ MSA4,262,2364,192,887+1.65%primary census statistical area
15Seattle–Tacoma–Bellevue, WA MSA3,500,0263,439,809+1.75%Seattle–Tacoma–Olympia, WA CSA
16Minneapolis–St. Paul–Bloomington, MN–WI MSA3,318,4863,279,833+1.18%Minneapolis–St. Paul–St. Cloud, MN–WI C

Last edited:
column headers please

I guessing

Population Rank / (in US, Metro Statistical Area) / This year population / Last year population / Growth / (Combined Statistical Area)

It looks like his numbers are actually coming from the MSAs not the CSAs. For some locations they are very different, most of them are the same. Washington having Baltimore in the same CSA but not MSA is an example having a 2,000,000 plus person swing. Atlanta, and Dallas aren't really too different CSA vs MSA having only a few hundred thousand different..

I've formed an Arizona Tesla Group. If interested, please go to "Community" and then "Groups" to sign up.

Come to think of it, it might be a good idea for each community to form a Group to advocate for common interests like charging stations, EV incentives, solar options, etc. Thanks.
Historically no one's ever really used the Groups feature of this site (which can be found here: Groups - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum).
I spent some time evaluating Groups when I was trying to decide on regional forums.

The benefit of Groups is that they are member driven. Whoever makes creates a group owns it and kinda moderates it. They also have a nice compact format.

The down side is that there are very few moderator tools, even for admins. Basically there's only the option to delete and undelete. There is no moving of "messages" (the equivalent of posts) or merging of "discussions" (the equivalent of threads), nor is there any option to split discussions. So if a discussion goes off topic, it is permanently so unless you delete a lot of stuff. There are also a bunch of technical things that work in "forums" that don't work in "groups". Unfortunately, there is no native functionality to convert group discussions to forum threads or vice versa.

So I decided to set up regional forums and assign moderators as needed. The activity in some regional forums is still rather low, but that may change over time as membership grows. I guess we'll see how it works out.

Historically no one's ever really used the Groups feature of this site (which can be found here: Groups - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum).
I spent some time evaluating Groups when I was trying to decide on regional forums.
Perhaps it would make sense to kill off the groups rather than split the action between the Groups and Local Threads. Actually my preference would be to add functionality to the Groups to permit group moderation and group emails to promote meet-ups and better coordination of local activities.

The benefit of Groups is that they are member driven. Whoever makes creates a group owns it and kinda moderates it. They also have a nice compact format.

The down side is that there are very few moderator tools, even for admins. Basically there's only the option to delete and undelete. There is no moving of "messages" (the equivalent of posts) or merging of "discussions" (the equivalent of threads), nor is there any option to split discussions. So if a discussion goes off topic, it is permanently so unless you delete a lot of stuff. There are also a bunch of technical things that work in "forums" that don't work in "groups". Unfortunately, there is no native functionality to convert group discussions to forum threads or vice versa.

So I decided to set up regional forums and assign moderators as needed. The activity in some regional forums is still rather low, but that may change over time as membership grows. I guess we'll see how it works out.

Perhaps it would make sense to kill off the groups rather than split the action between the Groups and Local Threads. Actually my preference would be to add functionality to the Groups to permit group moderation and group emails to promote meet-ups and better coordination of local activities.

Nigel and I were thinking about setting up a Florida Group to facilitate meet-ups. We were looking for a feature that would permit only Group members to view the content. This functionality is needed to permit members to post home addresses, contact information, etc. without exposing this information to non-Group members, and the public in general. However, I found that I could view the Arizona Group content even though I wasn't a member.

Mark: When you setup your Group did you make it public, or did you choose to moderate who could join or did you make membership by invitation only?

Doug: If the content can not currently be limited to viewing by Group members, it would be very helpful to add this functionality, assuming its not too difficult.

Thanks for your efforts.

Larry

Last edited:
Yeah, I think it's an option when you create the group. There is a "test" category where you can try things out. But anything there will be deleted after a bit.

I still think public stuff is better done in the forums.

Hi Doug,

Thanks, we'll probably give it a try.

If this works it will be superior to the commercially available Meet-ups application in some respects. Meetups charges a monthly subscription fee to the moderator (it's free to the members) and the content is completely public to the entire Internet. It just make perfect sense to use TMC to assist in arranging Tesla meetups rather than resorting to a generic meetup application.

I agree that there is still a good reason to continue with the local forums for the majority of public communications.

Larry

Mark: When you setup your Group did you make it public, or did you choose to moderate who could join or did you make membership by invitation only?
Larry, when I set up the Arizona group, there wasn't a private vs public option, but I probably would have opted to make it public anyway. I'm pleased that we have 6 of 9 AZ res holders in the group and are planning a meet up at the site of the new AZ store next month. Wish that we could do group email broadcasts to gp members, but respect the site's limitations. Doug's efforts to improve TMC are always appreciated!

The TMC members who have joined the AZ group were all invited to join, but it's open to all. Moderating a group isnt much of an issue due to the near absence of moderation tools.

Last edited: