TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Local Installer Refuses to Tint Front Windshield, "Risk of Electronics Damage"

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SageBrush, Jul 23, 2018.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

This is a 3M authorized installer in Albuquerque, NM.
    They say that they received a bulletin from 3M regarding a case of damage to a Tesla to the electronics under the dash from the water/chemicals used in installation, and in conformity with the manufacturer recc, will not longer tint front Tesla windshields.

I can well imagine this being a case of CYA, but it leaves me to decide whether to decide to find a different tint shop willing to perform the work and risk damage.

Any advice, forumites ? I'm supposed to receive the bulletin by email and will post it here when able.

2. silentcorp

silentcorp Member

Sounds like a *sugar* installer. I'd shop around to another reputable place.

3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Plenty of folks have tinted Tesla windshields no issues ..myself included on 3 cars ...go find other shop :eek:

4. nogajim

nogajim Member

There was another thread on this. There is a risk to some sensors from moisture during installation. This might be a good installer.

• Like x 1
  5. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

but a great installer finds a way to do it without damaging anything. they might charge a bit more for the extra work. It doesn't strike me as difficult to devise an absorbent cover (like towels) + tarp to prevent water from dripping and seeping into the dash.

• Informative x 1
  6. SageBrush

This installer does use a "moisture collection device" AND a towel for other cars, so they are not incompetent. Just risk adverse I'd guess after seeing a repair bill.

• Informative x 1
  7. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

The place I tinted my car at had done over 100 Model 3s before I had gone there (which is why I chose them). I subsequently referred a couple of co-workers there and the last one I sent over there said they also no longer tint front windshields on the Model 3.

The owner told my co-worker that until he received some guidance or an exception from Tesla (good luck), he would no longer be tinting windshields on a Model 3.

8. outdoors

outdoors Member

Same here on no longer doing it. I had it all ready. They called me back after the sides and said no dice on the front.

Anyone try this? Not sure if it has any IR rejection.
    Introducing ExoShield by Alchemy

9. SageBrush

Unrelated, I was wondering the other day why Tesla does not offer a tinting choice from the factory.
    When enough demand occurs I imagine either Tesla will provide guidance to installers or offer a factory option.

I've decided to cancel my tint appointment and not tint just the side windows. I want the installer to feel a little pressure to press for a solution from the manufacturer and Tesla.

• Funny x 2
  10. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

It’s 106 degrees in Austin today and I’m comfortable in my Model 3 with side and rear window film (XPEL Prime XR). I don’t have any film on the windshield and don’t think I need it. Same with my Model S— I had 3M crystalline film on side and rear windows and never felt the need to have anything on the windshield.

11. SageBrush

I think not since they only talk about UV blocking.

12. felixculpas

felixculpas Member

Also noticed this in Canada from one of the highest rated shops when doing some background research in anticipation of a M3 purchase. Really threw me. I've since cancelled due to Ontario incentives being axed and was looking at an X instead next spring. Does anyone know if this is exclusive to the M3 - potential for electronics/sensor damage? I have LLumar Air Blue 80 on my SUV windshield for over 6 years now but there was zero factory tint on it to begin with. I don't think I could go without some tinting on a new vehicle. Heat and UV rejection are essential.

13. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

There is indeed a risk. Honestly, I don't blame them. But if done right and everything is protected, it would be fine. Plenty of M3 owners have had their windshields tinted without issue.

14. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Good move !!!;)

15. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

The windshield blocks UV and heat. And if my Model 3 doesn’t get too hot in Texas with side and rear window film (but not windshield), I don’t think it’s going to be a problem for you in Canada.

• Like x 1
  16. gambit48

gambit48 Member

Was 105 a couple days ago and will be 105 again in a couple of days. I beg to differ. I can DEFINITELY feel the heat pouring in from my untinted windshield. I honestly don't think the Tesla a/c is strong enough compared to my ICE cars and the ICE loaners I got.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Yeah, my Model Ses often exceeded/exceed 100F *on the coast* without windshield and roof tint, and now they don't as often if at all since they had/have both. Further, windshield tint greatly reduces glare. Note that at least in the S with pano, both panels are tinted from the factory, but the tint is just not sufficient.

OP needs to find a shop with an installer who's done many windshields and has the confidence and ability to do more. It's a big piece of glass and therefore a big piece of film.

It's true that there are multiple modules under the dash in a Model S and presumably in a Model 3.

This is why finding the best installer, not to mention the best tint, is a worthwhile pursuit.

If you're in SoCal, consider Extreme Autowerks now in Brea. The owner, Bing, will be happy to discuss windshield and pano/glass roof tint. As an aside, he's got one of the best wrap guys in the country at his shop now, and they do the nano/ceramic coatings thing too.

If you're not in SoCal, well, three and a half things:

1. Disneyland is right down the street and it's summertime. Road trip.
    2. Reus Systems (Audio) is also nearby in Orange, CA. Road trip.
    3a. The beach cities (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo) have enjoyed the best weather in the country lately. Road trip.
    3b. No mosquitos or black flies, and there's lower humidity. Roaaaaaad trip.

So there ya go - windshield tint, roof tint, the best aftermarket audio for the money, and weather usually in the 70s at the beach.

Let's say you don't like air that you can occasionally see, traffic, or the possibility of random earth movement. Well, then for you, do ask for references from other Tesla owners from the best installer you can find in your area. You probably don't want to be first, in other words.

• Informative x 1
  18. lloyds

lloyds Active Member

This must be installer related. I had Premier install Photosync and Ceraluxe to all of my Tesla windshields (incl M3) with no issues whatsoever.

19. gambit48

gambit48 Member

LOL I drove from NorCal to get my tint from Extreme. It was either that or Premier in Fremont, but Premier wanted a day and a half while Extreme got it done in a day. But, a big part of the decision was I didn't know what I would do with myself for that long in Fremont.

• Helpful x 1