Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

Local Installer Refuses to Tint Front Windshield, "Risk of Electronics Damage"

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
This is a 3M authorized installer in Albuquerque, NM.
They say that they received a bulletin from 3M regarding a case of damage to a Tesla to the electronics under the dash from the water/chemicals used in installation, and in conformity with the manufacturer recc, will not longer tint front Tesla windshields.

I can well imagine this being a case of CYA, but it leaves me to decide whether to decide to find a different tint shop willing to perform the work and risk damage.

Any advice, forumites ? I'm supposed to receive the bulletin by email and will post it here when able.

Upvote 0

novox77

1.21 Gigawatts
Nov 25, 2017
NH, MA
but a great installer finds a way to do it without damaging anything. they might charge a bit more for the extra work. It doesn't strike me as difficult to devise an absorbent cover (like towels) + tarp to prevent water from dripping and seeping into the dash.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
but a great installer finds a way to do it without damaging anything. they might charge a bit more for the extra work. It doesn't strike me as difficult to devise an absorbent cover (like towels) + tarp to prevent water from dripping and seeping into the dash.
This installer does use a "moisture collection device" AND a towel for other cars, so they are not incompetent. Just risk adverse I'd guess after seeing a repair bill.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA

tracksyde

Nov 7, 2013
So Cal
The place I tinted my car at had done over 100 Model 3s before I had gone there (which is why I chose them). I subsequently referred a couple of co-workers there and the last one I sent over there said they also no longer tint front windshields on the Model 3.

The owner told my co-worker that until he received some guidance or an exception from Tesla (good luck), he would no longer be tinting windshields on a Model 3.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
Unrelated, I was wondering the other day why Tesla does not offer a tinting choice from the factory.
When enough demand occurs I imagine either Tesla will provide guidance to installers or offer a factory option.

I've decided to cancel my tint appointment and not tint just the side windows. I want the installer to feel a little pressure to press for a solution from the manufacturer and Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and MP3Mike

TexasEV

Jun 5, 2013
Austin, TX
It’s 106 degrees in Austin today and I’m comfortable in my Model 3 with side and rear window film (XPEL Prime XR). I don’t have any film on the windshield and don’t think I need it. Same with my Model S— I had 3M crystalline film on side and rear windows and never felt the need to have anything on the windshield.

Also noticed this in Canada from one of the highest rated shops when doing some background research in anticipation of a M3 purchase. Really threw me. I've since cancelled due to Ontario incentives being axed and was looking at an X instead next spring. Does anyone know if this is exclusive to the M3 - potential for electronics/sensor damage? I have LLumar Air Blue 80 on my SUV windshield for over 6 years now but there was zero factory tint on it to begin with. I don't think I could go without some tinting on a new vehicle. Heat and UV rejection are essential.

TaoJones

Beyond Driven
Nov 10, 2014
The Americas
Yeah, my Model Ses often exceeded/exceed 100F *on the coast* without windshield and roof tint, and now they don't as often if at all since they had/have both. Further, windshield tint greatly reduces glare. Note that at least in the S with pano, both panels are tinted from the factory, but the tint is just not sufficient.

OP needs to find a shop with an installer who's done many windshields and has the confidence and ability to do more. It's a big piece of glass and therefore a big piece of film.

It's true that there are multiple modules under the dash in a Model S and presumably in a Model 3.

This is why finding the best installer, not to mention the best tint, is a worthwhile pursuit.

If you're in SoCal, consider Extreme Autowerks now in Brea. The owner, Bing, will be happy to discuss windshield and pano/glass roof tint. As an aside, he's got one of the best wrap guys in the country at his shop now, and they do the nano/ceramic coatings thing too.

If you're not in SoCal, well, three and a half things:

1. Disneyland is right down the street and it's summertime. Road trip.
2. Reus Systems (Audio) is also nearby in Orange, CA. Road trip.
3a. The beach cities (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo) have enjoyed the best weather in the country lately. Road trip.
3b. No mosquitos or black flies, and there's lower humidity. Roaaaaaad trip.

So there ya go - windshield tint, roof tint, the best aftermarket audio for the money, and weather usually in the 70s at the beach.

Let's say you don't like air that you can occasionally see, traffic, or the possibility of random earth movement. Well, then for you, do ask for references from other Tesla owners from the best installer you can find in your area. You probably don't want to be first, in other words.

• Informative
Reactions: felixculpas

gambit48

Aug 1, 2017
NorCal
LOL I drove from NorCal to get my tint from Extreme. It was either that or Premier in Fremont, but Premier wanted a day and a half while Extreme got it done in a day. But, a big part of the decision was I didn't know what I would do with myself for that long in Fremont.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC