Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Local street autopilot now enabling higher speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when traffic light recognition was first enabled, tesla makes the car stops at every intersection and drives no faster not posted street speed limit.

A cpuple of weeks ago, an update enabled automatically going through green lights without confirmation. Though it needs a car to follow, it became very usable.

Today, I just realize the other problem has also been addressed, I don't know why. I was able to set speet limit at least 6mph > posted speed light, when autopilot is engaged on local city roads.

Is this new? Or its been out for some time. Autopilot on city streets is now very usable. We just need autosteer making turns at intersection!!!

when traffic light recognition was first enabled, tesla makes the car stops at every intersection and drives no faster not posted street speed limit.

A cpuple of weeks ago, an update enabled automatically going through green lights without confirmation. Though it needs a car to follow, it became very usable.

Today, I just realize the other problem has also been addressed, I don't know why. I was able to set speet limit at least 6mph > posted speed light, when autopilot is engaged on local city roads.

Is this new? Or its been out for some time. Autopilot on city streets is now very usable. We just need autosteer making turns at intersection!!!

Don't think it has (I'm on 2020.24.6.4). What I *have* noticed is the car seems to be a better job of figuring out if you are on a divided road or not, and relaxes the speed limit rule in this case. (I was checking this out carefully yesterday while driving.)

2020.24.6.1 did not make any difference for me on a divided road with 50 mph speed limit (3 lanes both ways). Haven't tried 2020.24.6.4 yet.

[Added later] Actually, my recollection may be wrong. It's possible that it did go higher than the speed limit on TACC, but not on AP. Will try again.

Last edited:
2020.24.6.1 did not make any difference for me on a divided road with 50 mph speed limit (3 lanes both ways). Haven't tried 2020.24.6.4 yet.

[Added later] Actually, my recollection may be wrong. It's possible that it did go higher than the speed limit on TACC, but not on AP. Will try again.

I tried it over the last few days (2020.24.6.3) and I was able to drive with stop light handling at 10-15mph above the posted speed (and the speed the car showed as the speed limit, so it did know it was going "over the limit". Presumably this is map related since the car must use map and detected lane info to decide when to allow this, so it might vary from highway to highway.

I tried it over the last few days (2020.24.6.3) and I was able to drive with stop light handling at 10-15mph above the posted speed (and the speed the car showed as the speed limit, so it did know it was going "over the limit". Presumably this is map related since the car must use map and detected lane info to decide when to allow this, so it might vary from highway to highway.
Was this with only TACC (adaptive cruise control) or with autosteer as well?

Tested this again (same road) and the speed is still limited to the speed limit when using autosteering. Very much possible that it works at some roads but not at others (this was on the same divided 3 lane both ways road with lots of traffic lights).

TACC allows any speed on divided or undivided
Autosteer (with traffic light detection off) allows any speed on physical divided or up to +5 mph over on undivided. Definition of divided defined by high quality map info, default/unknown is undivided. Freeways are always divided, highways rely on map.

Autosteer (with traffic light detection on) *used* to be exact speed limit only. Are you saying this changed?

• Informative
Reactions: frankvb
TACC allows any speed on divided or undivided
Autosteer (with traffic light detection off) allows any speed on physical divided or up to +5 mph over on undivided. Definition of divided defined by high quality map info, default/unknown is undivided. Freeways are always divided, highways rely on map.

Autosteer (with traffic light detection on) *used* to be exact speed limit only. Are you saying this changed?

With 2020.24.6.4, Autosteer on, traffic light detection on, you can go over the posted limit (and the limit the car shows) if you are on a divided road .. or at least SOME divided roads. I've only verified this on two roads, and have no idea how the car determines when to relax the speed restrictions. Nor can I be certain it's new to 24.6.4, as I only noticed it last weekend. But it was happily driving at 64mph on a 55mph road (and did warn me about upcoming stop lights, so yes that was enabled).