Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Local Supercharging: Yea or Nay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scenario 1's "Charging at home will take 8 hours. It will clearly take too long." is questionable

Depends on where you live. I have had to supplement my daily "local" charging several times now - once at a supercharger, once at a Chademo and even once at a Level 2 public charger. I left my house in the morning with a full 230 mile charge every time. I just managed to drive well more than 230 miles "locally" each time. It doesn't help that my commute is 40 miles one way from my home, and most other services (including the Service Center) are located in the opposite direction of my home by 40-90 miles. (Yes, my workplace is THAT remote - its on a military base)

Each time its happened I didn't need a full charge, just enough miles to get me back home with a reasonable buffer. I guess I could have planned better by taking my ICE instead, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

So my vote is
Scenario 1: Yes
Scenario 2: Maybe, if the charger isn't crowded

Reactions: JohnnyG
Scenario 1: Your low on charge and you've got a full day ahead of you of driving. Charging at home will take 8 hours. It will clearly take too long. Local supercharger is near by. Yay or Nay?

Scenario 2: I've got unlimited supercharging and I'm going to supercharge anywhere I damn well please including my local supercharger. Yay or Nay?

I'm saying yes to both.

But I think your scenario 2 is a bit of a trap - and a bait to delve into the same old argument that we've seen many times on the boards. If scenario 2 was - I've got unlimited supercharging and (I have no local charging access because I live in an apartment) or (I'm driving by a totally empty charger, like literally 8 or 12 empty charging stations) or (I'm going shopping and the new local SC is sponsored by a grocery store who is hoping to bring in local traffic and is willing to pay the electric to do so) or various other scenarios, you'd likely have a majority who would agree to it (it might be a slim majority, as there are clearly people who think a SC should only be used for long-distance travel, and if that's how they feel, that's fine also). If you change it to: I've got unlimited supercharging and (I'm just going to park there to block long distance travelers from filling up) you are going to be hard-pressed to find many people (although you'll still likely find a few) who are ok with that approach.

Scenario 1: I normally plan better than that but I would do it in case of real need.
Scenario 2. Probably not- if it were empty I might.

We did pay for unlimited, but we also mostly want to defer to people who really need the Superchargers. Frankly my time is worth more than the savings in my electricity bill.

Yes
Yes if not crowded, courtesy should rule.
OBTW, the SC is an excellent location to share your information with not only other Tesla owners but more importantly with the curious non owners. The Christmas "easter egg" also was a GREAT attention getter that spurred MANY conversations with non owners and made a sale or two. Sorry we cannot have had it a bit longer.

I would say Yes to both. However...
I have two SC relatively close but rarely use them. I have home charging and use that most of the time. I don't usually use the SC because I value my time more than the $5/hour that I would "earn" by charging there. If I have to run some errands near the SC, I'll charge there (except weekends when they're busy). I could use them at the start or end of long distance trips but I don't because, again, my time is worth more.

Reactions: oktane
Those who argue against this - do you limit your use of 4G LTE on your carrier's unlimited plan to be "nice" to other users or save the carrier some money? Do you avoid watching videos on your phone because it is being kinda greedy with data? Shouldn't you just wait until you are on your home's WiFi before sucking down data? I mean, you are reducing bandwidth for other users sharing your cell tower.....

Of course not. You paid for the data and are entitled to use it as much or as little as you see fit.

I use my local super charger a lot now because I do not have my home charger set yet. The ground froze in before I was able to bring a thick enough conduit under the driveway to my detached garage. Plus there is almost never any one at my local super charger so I am not inconveniencing anyone.

I see this topic in various threads so I decided to start one dedicated to this issue.

Scenario 1: Your low on charge and you've got a full day ahead of you of driving. Charging at home will take 8 hours. It will clearly take too long. Local supercharger is near by. Yay or Nay?

Scenario 2: I've got unlimited supercharging and I'm going to supercharge anywhere I damn well please including my local supercharger. Yay or Nay?

Disclaimer:
Don't disagree with the thread express your opinion, it's a question not a statement. I'll post my response and you can disagree with that.

Scenario 1 - How does this happen? How can you charge the car overnight, then drive it long enough to be "low on charge" and still have a full day ahead of you of driving? If this does somehow happen, then I think it is fine to use the supercharger in this situation.

Scenario 2 - No, Tesla has made it abundantly clear that the purpose of the supercharging network is to accommodate long distance driving. You are abusing the system if you use it for local charging without a good reason for doing so.

No, Tesla has made it abundantly clear that the purpose of the supercharging network is to accommodate long distance driving. You are abusing the system if you use it for local charging without a good reason for doing so.

In what way did they make it "abundantly clear"?

If what you are saying is true, shouldn't Tesla have had us sign a policy statement regarding limited use of SC at delivery? Or at the very least, have this "abundantly clear" policy on their website regarding FUSC not being FUSC? Maybe have their salesman tell that to prospective buyers instead of telling them the opposite, that they should use the SC as much as they want?

I thought part of the reason I was paying $160,000 for a $70,000 car was to support the SC network? I don't use SC, but unlike you I wouldn't shame someone for taking advantage of a feature they were sold.

There is no difference in abuse, only one's conveniently extended defintion to justify their behavoir. What is the difference between someone admitting its theirs for the taking, vs someone else claiming their schedule is just too busy to be responsible? Nothing. We just think we like the look of ourselves as the second guy, rather than the first. The hypocrisy is silly. No and No or Yes and Yes. Do as you will.

I charge at home, almost always, but occasionally (1-2x/yr) my turn around time needs to be shorter than the time that it would take my 14-50 to get me the range I need for the rest of the day. Under those rare circumstances it makes sense to use the unlimited supercharging (about 10 miles away) that I paid for. I certainly cannot justify running a new circuit and buying a HPWC for the few times a year that I needs a quicker turn around.

If what you are saying is true, shouldn't Tesla have had us sign a policy statement regarding limited use of SC at delivery? Or at the very least, have this "abundantly clear" policy on their website regarding FUSC not being FUSC? Maybe have their salesman tell that to prospective buyers instead of telling them the opposite, that they should use the SC as much as they want?

I thought part of the reason I was paying $160,000 for a $70,000 car was to support the SC network? I don't use SC, but unlike you I wouldn't shame someone for taking advantage of a feature they were sold.

When we first bought a Tesla what was abundantly clear was that supercharging was going to be free forever. See, e.g.,

"And that's not all the teasing. Musk also promises a major announcement regarding the company's Supercharger network is due in just two weeks. "It's a very exciting and dramatic -- really dramatic -- increase in the number of Superchargers and in what Superchargers can do. I think people will be really psyched." Musk assures us that the company will meet its goal of 100 Supercharger stations, initially pegged for 2015, well earlier and that usage of those stations will "always be free." Always? "They will be free forever.""

Only after the Model S started selling in greater numbers did the backtracking and qualifications start.

At this point, it is absolutely clear that supercharging is not free, nor is it unlimited. But for those of us who bought early in, we definitely have reason to believe that we were promised free, unlimited, anytime/anywhere supercharging.

The real takeaway from this, however, is that you can see how quickly Musk breaks his promises...less than 4 years after he promised free supercharging forever, Tesla imposed fees, limits and conditions.

For starters, Tesla's website said that superchargers are for long-distance travel when I ordered my car back in October of last year. See screen grab below from the day I ordered.

upload_2017-2-15_0-38-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-15_0-38-14.png
    upload_2017-2-15_0-38-14.png
    5 KB · Views: 33