Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Local Supercharging: Yea or Nay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may be right with respect to purchases made back in 2014 or earlier, but for at least the last ~2 years it has been clear that superchargers were intended for long distance travel.

Does 'long distance travel' imply only interstate (or here in Texas) inter-city travel? I'd think that driving >150 miles/per day qualifies as 'long distance' even if it is within a single metropolitan area. Such distances aren't very hard to do in our increasingly sprawling cities.

Okay so now people are going to pay for it. After they use their first 400kw. Is it then okay to supercharge locally? Hey they are paying for it...

I definitely feel a double standard by that I mean. I would like to supercharge under scenario 1 without grief. When I think of my fellow Model S and X owners doing the same I don't seem to mind. However, I know I'm going to be annoyed when a Model 3 does it. The reason being is, Tesla has only produced 180,000 cars. A majority are in the US but many abroad over seas. The Model 3 has 400,000 reservations. That's more than twice the cars Tesla has produced and I just feel like it's going to be mayhem at the supercharging stations.

My local supercharger in Burbank has Trader Joe's next door and Starbucks and a great super market but now that North Americas biggest IKEA opened up next door traffic is at a crawl so unless I'm desperate my avoiding it. Which was not what I planned when I started my purchase process . Charging at home for $10 seems acceptable after evaluating what my time is worth.

Reactions: oktane