Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Local tesla delivery center has a model 3 in inventory, should I buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd assume it's relatively well taken care of. The worst things for the battery are sitting at 100% or sitting below 20% for long periods of time. Being charged to 70% and sitting on a lot for a few weeks isn't going to hurt it.

I'd assume it's relatively well taken care of. The worst things for the battery are sitting at 100% or sitting below 20% for long periods of time. Being charged to 70% and sitting on a lot for a few weeks isn't going to hurt it.

Thank you for the insight. I'm debating just hitting the "buy" button, but my wife wants me to drive over on my lunch break and take a look at it since its only a few miles away.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
All Model 3’s are built “for inventory”. Tesla does not build a specific Model 3 configuration just because you placed an order for one. They use the backlog as a general guide for how many of each color and trim combination to build and once a VIN has been assigned they match the VIN to an existing order for that configuration.

Tesla had excess inventory at the end of Q3 (yesterday). In the past they have frequently sold out of every vehicle by quarter end, but production capacity has been increasing so it is not at all unusual for them to have cars in inventory for immediate delivery, just like any traditional dealer would have.

There is no issue with purchasing a car that has been in inventory for a month. The cars are not so fragile that sitting for a month would cause them any harm. Depending on your location you may be able to request to look at the car prior to hitting the purchase button. In my location the cars are stored offsite at a lot that is not accessible to customers, so there is no way to look before you buy. But if you purchase the car and then don’t like the condition once you see it at the delivery center, you can reject it and wait for them to assign you another one.

OP,

You may not have a choice. If they have cars available in your configuration in the area that's what you will get.

I placed a custom order on September 5th for a Model 3 SR+. The order said that it would be 3-5 weeks. The same day I got a VIN assigned. Picked up the car on September 9th.

I just picked up an inventory car last weekend and am very pleased with it. I did call the location it was at and asked if they could send me a few pics which they did. Pics only show so much but remember you can still refuse at delivery.

mid it’s the config you want and are prepared to bring it home I say go for it!

Anyone who ordered earlier in quarter 3 can attest, there were zero inventory cars until the last week or so. Anything now in inventory must have been made in the last couple of weeks.

Yep. I submitted my order for an inventory car (out-of-state, but close) about a week ago (10/1). Had the VIN from the start and am taking delivery on Saturday (10/10). I asked the local advisor what the build date was and he said 9/5 and the car has <15 miles on it, so it's a fresh build.