Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Local tire shop says they don't use jack lift pads on our cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to raise my concern to the forum community. Like the title says a local tire shop near me who I would rather not mention says they have had many Teslas in their shop. When I asked if they had the jack lift pads they said they don't need them and just use the manual jacks instead of a lift because of the potential damage to the battery. I said don't you need jack pads to make sure not to damage the cars batteries and lift the car at the proper lifting points? They said that the manual jack doesn't hurt them and that they would be fine. I'm slightly concerned with their response on my suggestion of the pads from reading on this forum. Am I incorrect or are they on how to do this properly? Thank you!!

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
I'm no expert but pretty sure the jack pads are designed to spread the load when you use a manual jack (single point). Most tire shops seem to use sled-type jacks that lift the car on a wide bed, distributing the load evenly, which is fine for the Tesla. Others please correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm no expert but pretty sure the jack pads are designed to spread the load when you use a manual jack (single point). Most tire shops seem to use sled-type jacks that lift the car on a wide bed, distributing the load evenly, which is fine for the Tesla. Others please correct me if I'm wrong!

The main problem is the Jack point is recessed above the bottom of the battery. And it’s not a very large area. The jack pads are just a spacer that more or less focuses the lift to that recessed area. Most jack pads are smaller than the cup on a jack or a lift. If the the jack head is small enough and rubberized it will be fine. Some lifts have wide cups and that’s not good. Some lifts have fingers (some rubberized) that can be flipped up which would be fine. Jack pads just make it easier and compatible with more jacks and lifts. The jack pad brings the lift point below the battery.

My baby jack cup is to big. Most shops have much larger jacks with huge cups.

It all depends on what they have. I’d want to see the jack they use.

The main problem is the Jack point is recessed above the bottom of the battery. And it’s not a very large area. The jack pads are just a spacer that more or less focuses the lift to that recessed area. Most jack pads are smaller than the cup on a jack or a lift. If the the jack head is small enough and rubberized it will be fine. Some lifts have wide cups and that’s not good. Some lifts have fingers (some rubberized) that can be flipped up which would be fine. Jack pads just make it easier and compatible with more jacks and lifts. The jack pad brings the lift point below the battery.

My baby jack cup is to big. Most shops have much larger jacks with huge cups.

It all depends on what they have. I’d want to see the jack they use.

So would it be best if I bought some jack pads and brought them to the shop? Or should I just buy my own jack pads and just do it myself and get some tpms sensors and have them set up and call it good? What do you all do?

So would it be best if I bought some jack pads and brought them to the shop? Or should I just buy my own jack pads and just do it myself and get some tpms sensors and have them set up and call it good? What do you all do?

I do everything possible myself. Including hauling rims to the tire shop and mounting snows and hauling them back and installing them myself. But I also carry a set of jack pads for emergency and inspection.

Tesla themselves don't use the pads that all the owners seem to buy. As long as you lift with a flat object at the correct lift point, you are fine.

Many shops use blocks of wood or have other metal pads that they can change in the arms of their post lifts.

Because $30 is more than $0! lol it's funny that the photo on that Amazon listing shows the product on a flat jack that doesn't even require a pad :D

Why doesn't Tesla use these if they are so important is my main question

Umm, you’d want to use a jack pad with the jack shown in the listing. All the jacks I see have like ~4” cup. You can choose not to, but I wouldn’t risk boogering it up.

There are jacks that have smaller rubberized heads you can use directly though.

I replied to someone saying he was spending $20 on parts to make his own. My time is worth more than $10 to make them. Maybe you only make $10/hr and it’s worth it to you. It would take me a couple hours to make them and probably wouldn’t be as nice as the $30 set.

And you don’t want a puck with just a nub. You want the O-ring to hold it in or a super magnet.

My time is valuable, but I consider fiddling around with the car as leisure time, so screw the value. If you use old hockey pucks they cost you nothing. If you buy 4 from Dicks, they cost about $16. Drill a hole half way thru the puck. Pour some glue in the hole. Push a piece of leftover something in the hole. I used ¾" PEX. Wrap hockey tape around the PEX, to create a friction fit, when you insert it in the jack hole under the rockers. Voila. 15mins.
IMG_1157.jpeg

Recently, took my car in to get snow tires put on, at local tire shop. They weren't mounted, otherwise I'd swap them myself. When I got to the tire shop, I stuck my jackpads in, and let them hang, friction fit. Then I told the tire shop I had already put my pucks in so they couldn't miss the lift points. Everyone was fine with that. I deliberately got the salmon-colored "practice" pucks for easier visibility.

Now, it's possible, that a shop may put their jack arms under the suspension arm, and bypass the rockers altogether.

My time is valuable, but I consider fiddling around with the car as leisure time, so screw the value. If you use old hockey pucks they cost you nothing. If you buy 4 from Dicks, they cost about $16.

One of my coworkers did his own too with hockey pucks. I try to avoid using power tools so I don't hurt myself so I just get them from Amazon like I did with everything else LOL!

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and mswlogo
I do everything possible myself. Including hauling rims to the tire shop and mounting snows and hauling them back and installing them myself. But I also carry a set of jack pads for emergency and inspection.

Exactly what I do too. The other benefit is (at least at Discount Tire) that they generally can get a loose tire/wheel serviced faster than if it was on the car.

I got the Reverse Logic jack pads, high quality & I’d recommend them if you don’t want to DIY.