Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Location Feature Of Tesla App Blocked After Ranger Pick-Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our X was picked up by a ranger this morning for transport to Cleveland Ohio, which is 200 miles away. My wife noticed that we were no longer able to use the location feature of the app, once it was picked up. Is this a 'normal' occurrence when relinquishing your Tesla to a service center?

This must be new. The 2 times I've had my X in for service, I could still monitor the location. Either they have a new policy/system for disabling location (e.g. put vehicle into a demo or transport mode) or the vehicle is not able to connect to the internet (LTE/WiFi) to transmit it's location (e.g. battery is dead, out of LTE/WiFi range, car is in a deep sleep, etc.).

Our X was picked up by a ranger this morning for transport to Cleveland Ohio, which is 200 miles away. My wife noticed that we were no longer able to use the location feature of the app, once it was picked up. Is this a 'normal' occurrence when relinquishing your Tesla to a service center?

I can't speak to anything with respect to the Model X, but with my Model S, almost without exception, remote access has been turned off as soon as the car has been picked up. There have also been reports here of Tesla doing a better job of doing this in places they had not done it previously. An obvious reason is that individuals having control of their cars and being able to honk the horns, etc., while the cars were being worked on is dangerous. Now with summon, even though it is not supposed to work at a distance, the situation has become even more dangerous. So it makes sense to have remote access disabled when Tesla is in control of the car.

I expect that was what you saw.

In addition to disabling the app, they also disable your dash cam so its not recording audio or video.
My tech told me the 'summon' pranks were folklore (at least LA SvC never experienced it), but for sure people were honking the horns and flashing lights remotely.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Anytime a repair order is opened, remote access is disabled. Remote access is not re-enabled until the work order is completely closed. I was told this is now standard procedure due to some wing nut using the summon feature while his car was in for service.
Long before summon, people would use the app to honk the horn or flash the lights. Not a safe thing to do when someone may be working on the car.

My SC told me it is standard procedure to turn off all remote access until the work order is closed.
I had Ranger work performed in my garage and 2 days later could not connect to my car through the app. It turned out that the work order had not yet been completely closed out.