TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Location of cellular radio & SIM card?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by run-the-joules, Mar 31, 2018.

1. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

In the hopefully unlikely event that Tesla is ever forced to disable Autopilot via an OTA update (e.g., NTSB mandate after a crash or similar), I would like to be prepared to disable the internet connectivity of the car to keep the feature, hopefully by just pulling the SIM. I realize this is a VERY edge case and improbable situation, but chance favors the prepared mind.

In light of this, does anyone know where this hardware is actually located in the car? It seems to be part of the MCU assembly in the S, so prooobably the same in the 3…

• Like x 1
  2. erthquake

erthquake Active Member

But then your maps/nav and radio streaming won't work, and kiss your software updates goodbye. I'll bet Tesla disables the car if the sim doesn't work.

It's very unlikely Tesla would be made to disable AP, because then every other auto maker would have to disable their level 2 driver assist features.

3. run-the-joules

I'd rather lose maps, nav and streaming than the feature I bought the car for. Without autopilot, I'd never have even considering buying the car at half the price I actually paid for it.

No way.

I'd hate to have to go through the process of forcing them to buy the car back if they disabled AP for any reason. I have no doubt tens of thousands of other people would also request/sue for the same.

Like I said… I doubt we'll see it happen, but I can imagine it as a possibility.

4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I doubt that, but it is possible that AP would disable itself if its tiles/data get too far out of date.

• Like x 1
  5. privater

privater 2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner

Rest assured, Last time when they had Florida accident, Autopilot 1 got their best firmware 8.0/8.1 dwarves all previous autopilot performance. This time you might see FSD in full speed.

6. timk225

timk225 Active Member

If the maps are disabled, wouldn't that mess up the autopilot if it depends on those maps to work?

LOL okay pal, force Tesla. I wanna see this play out.

7. run-the-joules

Hopefully we never see the need but if they had to kill AP, they may as well close up since they’d never survive the wave of lawsuits from owners like me who bought for that feature. Their financial footing is precarious enough.