Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Location of cellular radio & SIM card?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the hopefully unlikely event that Tesla is ever forced to disable Autopilot via an OTA update (e.g., NTSB mandate after a crash or similar), I would like to be prepared to disable the internet connectivity of the car to keep the feature, hopefully by just pulling the SIM. I realize this is a VERY edge case and improbable situation, but chance favors the prepared mind.

In light of this, does anyone know where this hardware is actually located in the car? It seems to be part of the MCU assembly in the S, so prooobably the same in the 3…

Reactions: Pkmmte
In the hopefully unlikely event that Tesla is ever forced to disable Autopilot via an OTA update (e.g., NTSB mandate after a crash or similar), I would like to be prepared to disable the internet connectivity of the car to keep the feature, hopefully by just pulling the SIM. I realize this is a VERY edge case and improbable situation, but chance favors the prepared mind.

In light of this, does anyone know where this hardware is actually located in the car? It seems to be part of the MCU assembly in the S, so prooobably the same in the 3…

But then your maps/nav and radio streaming won't work, and kiss your software updates goodbye. I'll bet Tesla disables the car if the sim doesn't work.

It's very unlikely Tesla would be made to disable AP, because then every other auto maker would have to disable their level 2 driver assist features.

But then your maps/nav and radio streaming won't work, and kiss your software updates goodbye.

I'd rather lose maps, nav and streaming than the feature I bought the car for. Without autopilot, I'd never have even considering buying the car at half the price I actually paid for it.

I'll bet Tesla disables the car if the sim doesn't work.

No way.

It's very unlikely Tesla would be made to disable AP, because then every other auto maker would have to disable their level 2 driver assist features.

I'd hate to have to go through the process of forcing them to buy the car back if they disabled AP for any reason. I have no doubt tens of thousands of other people would also request/sue for the same.

Like I said… I doubt we'll see it happen, but I can imagine it as a possibility.

Rest assured, Last time when they had Florida accident, Autopilot 1 got their best firmware 8.0/8.1 dwarves all previous autopilot performance. This time you might see FSD in full speed.

I'd rather lose maps, nav and streaming than the feature I bought the car for. Without autopilot, I'd never have even considering buying the car at half the price I actually paid for it.

I'd hate to have to go through the process of forcing them to buy the car back if they disabled AP for any reason. I have no doubt tens of thousands of other people would also request/sue for the same.

Like I said… I doubt we'll see it happen, but I can imagine it as a possibility.

If the maps are disabled, wouldn't that mess up the autopilot if it depends on those maps to work?

LOL okay pal, force Tesla. I wanna see this play out.

If the maps are disabled, wouldn't that mess up the autopilot if it depends on those maps to work?

LOL okay pal, force Tesla. I wanna see this play out.

Hopefully we never see the need but if they had to kill AP, they may as well close up since they’d never survive the wave of lawsuits from owners like me who bought for that feature. Their financial footing is precarious enough.