TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Location of charger in garage - left, front, right

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Mickfair, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Mickfair

Mickfair Member

What is the preferred location for the wall charger or 14-50 plug?

i am assuming the left wall so that it is close when I park nose in.

2. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Where ever is close to the drivers rear part of the car. I back in but the plug is on the passenger side (put the short car in front of the door to the house). It isn't bad at all. I would try to put your cord in an out of the way place if possible but still easy to get to to charge.

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I think you answered your own question. It depends on where you park and if you back in or pull in.

There tons of posts about the 'where', but it boils down to 1) which side you park on, 2) if you pull in or back in, and 3) distance from panel (can impact cost). Some people hang it above, others coil it on the wall. I installed my outlet on the post between bays. The cable is long enough to reach either side of my car, whether I pull in or back in.

Your call.

4. Longhorn92

Longhorn92 MS VIN #10103 (40 kWh)

One additional thought: you can also daisy chain another outlet to your first, such that you have options about where to charge (can only use one outlet at a time though). I asked about this when I got my quote, and it only added about $250 to the price (40' of wiring and conduit, plus additional outlet - surface mounted, so not behind wall).

5. raptorweb

raptorweb Member

This is pretty close to what I did with my setup, I ran pipe along the ceiling of my garage and put a box about 1/2 way. That way I can put an outlet in that box if needed if I change my mind on how my garage is laid out.

6. seidste1

seidste1 Member

Any good ideas for a shelf or hook to hold the charger cord and plug when not in use?

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182