Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sarasota, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked the University Station Facebook page folks whether they could confirm that they would be hosting a Tesla Supercharger there. I received an interesting response. They didn't ask me what a Supercharger was, nor did they deny it. Here's their response. "University Station - Sarasota We cannot confirm that but stay tuned to our page for updates."

Larry

Went by earlier today and the Sarasota Supercharger is under construction. It is located in back of the Whole Foods Larry mentioned. There appears to be 20 stalls. Underground conduit has been completed thus far.
IMG_7051.jpg
IMG_7052.jpg
IMG_7049.jpg

Reactions: emupilot
Some really big new SC's being built.....there are two 40 stations underway in Cal and now this one.

This would allow me to skip Brandon going South.....any other services planned other than Whole Foods?

btw: hopefully plenty of parking spots......in Naples Mercado location there is never enough parking in season and even off-season.

Parking should not be an issue as it will be located behind the Whole Foods and not directly in their parking lot. There is a good amount in the area for shopping and food including a fair number of new retail spaces. Unfortunately some involves crossing a 6 lane major road to access.

Google Maps

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 8.31.49 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: X Fan and viperboy
.....any other services planned other than Whole Foods?
Hi Charles,

At University Station besides the Wholefoods, a Zoes Kitchen is going in. It's a Mediterranean restaurant. In addition, they are currently building a Wawa gasoline station there. Not something we are likely to use. ;-)

There's a Stonewood Grill almost directly across University Parkway from Whole Foods. We will probably try to organize a meet-up there to celebrate when the Supercharger Station becomes operational.

Larry

• Informative
Reactions: jrreno and X Fan
Hi Charles,

At University Station besides the Wholefoods, a Zoes Kitchen is going in. It's a Mediterranean restaurant. In addition, they are currently building a Wawa gasoline station there. Not something we are likely to use. ;-)

There's a Stonewood Grill almost directly across University Parkway from Whole Foods. We will probably try to organize a meet-up there to celebrate when the Supercharger Station becomes operational.

Larry

Thanks for info Larry...do we know the targeted completion date for Whole Foods store/shopping center?

Parking should not be an issue as it will be located behind the Whole Foods and not directly in their parking lot. There is a good amount in the area for shopping and food including a fair number of new retail spaces. Unfortunately some involves crossing a 6 lane major road to access.

Google Maps

View attachment 235936
Thanks again for the information and photos.

As you mention, it appears to me that the construction for the Supercharger is not actually on the Whole Foods site. Judging from your photos it is as I've marked on the site drawing below. Can you confirm?

Whole Foods Site Plan.jpg

Here is a Google street view before the construction.

Whole Foods Superchargers.jpg

It look like there are only 15 parking spaces originally.

Larry

Thanks again for the information and photos.

As you mention, it appears to me that the construction for the Supercharger is not actually on the Whole Foods site. Judging from your photos it is as I've marked on the site drawing below. Can you confirm?

View attachment 236107

Here is a Google street view before the construction.

View attachment 236106

It look like there are only 15 parking spaces originally.

Larry

Here is a pano picture of the Sarasota site (upload didn't work last night due to size of the image). I counted 20 stalls. You are correct on the location but it is an "L" shape with the other stalls parallel to Honore.

- A.J.

IMG_7050.jpg

Whole Foods Superchargers.jpg

Already a member. Joined last year. Thanks for all the great work you do!

Thanks for the kind words.

Sorry. I didn't have your TMC username on our club records and I see that you haven't joined our club's private discussion group here on TMC. I've invited you to join.

To accept the invitation the next time you log onto TMC the invite shows up as an Alert (the bell icon) in the top right corner of any TCM web page. Just click the bell and then click the "accept" drop down button and you will become a member of our private discussion group at TMC.

To access our club's private discussion group at TMC, select "Groups" from the main menu and then select "Florida Tesla Enthusiasts". Then select "FORUM".

Regards,

Larry

Last edited:
Re: Sarasota....

Was there today and the permit clearly states Tesla Supercharger....I believe there may be 16 stalls, but as there was a lot going on it might be 20 as mentioned previously. The Whole Foods is slated to open in September,,,whether that ties in with the Supercharger remains to be seen.
Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 9.03.53 PM.png

Permit expires EOY, so obviously Supercharger has to be finished by then

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ajfus
Re: Sarasota....

Was there today and the permit clearly states Tesla Supercharger....I believe there may be 16 stalls, but as there was a lot going on it might be 20 as mentioned previously. The Whole Foods is slated to open in September,,,whether that ties in with the Supercharger remains to be seen.
View attachment 236326

Permit expires EOY, so obviously Supercharger has to be finished by then
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the additional information.

AJ's panoramic photos shows the installation turning a corner to add additional stalls parallel to Honore Ave. So it looks like 15 stalls perpendicular to Honore and 5 parallel to Honore.

Larry

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the additional information.

AJ's panoramic photos shows the installation turning a corner to add additional stalls parallel to Honore Ave. So it looks like 15 stalls perpendicular to Honore and 5 parallel to Honore.

Larry

Lots of dumpsters and machinery around when I drove through (in the rain) so I didn't care to get out of the car and count!

BTW, in the permit search I also came across a permit for a "Tesla charger" at Pollo Tropical in Sarasota Crossings; guessing this is probably a destination charger. Could become our new favorite restaurant Larry.... :)

Reactions: Richg
Lots of dumpsters and machinery around when I drove through (in the rain) so I didn't care to get out of the car and count!

BTW, in the permit search I also came across a permit for a "Tesla charger" at Pollo Tropical in Sarasota Crossings; guessing this is probably a destination charger. Could become our new favorite restaurant Larry.... :)
Yeah, I could start eating some tropical chickens with the right sort of incentive. ;-)

Larry

Reactions: Richg
News this afternoon on stores/restaurants: Development Firm announces which businesses will open at University Station

"The real estate development firm over the project, S.J. Collins Enterprises, has now fully leased the center.
Great Expressions Dental Centers, Lee Nails, Banfield Pet Hospital, Greenwise Dry Cleaner, Wawa and Zoe's Kitchen will open in the vacant spaces. The Wawa and Zoe's Kitchen are both expected to open late this year."

• Informative
Reactions: Larry Chanin
Info from Whole Foods: They will have EV charge stations at the new store unrelated to the Tesla Superchargers; store is slated to open end January.

For those not aware, there are also 8 Tesla designation chargers and 8 Chargepoints at UTC mall which is barely 1 mile from University Station (no 'station' there but that's the area where the Superchargers are); there are also 2 destination chargers each at the Holiday Inn and the Fairfield Inn just east along University Pkwy so with the Mall chargers, the Whole Foods chargers, the Lakewood Ranch Main St chargers and the Superchargers there's lots of reasons to stop off for a visit to the area.

• Helpful
Reactions: Larry Chanin
Info from Whole Foods: They will have EV charge stations at the new store unrelated to the Tesla Superchargers; store is slated to open end January.

For those not aware, there are also 8 Tesla designation chargers and 8 Chargepoints at UTC mall which is barely 1 mile from University Station (no 'station' there but that's the area where the Superchargers are)

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the helpful information. Regarding the 8 Tesla chargers at UTC, to clarify they are not technically Tesla Destination Chargers, but rather to support the operations of the Tesla store located at UTC. Most of the 8 charging stalls will be occupied by store vehicles including ICE vehicles left for trade-ins. Visiting Tesla owners should not rely on getting a charge at the Tesla charging at UTC or any other Tesla chargers at Tesla store locations. Traveling Tesla owners can charge at the 8 ChargePoint chargers located near the valet service while shopping or dining at UTC.

I've updated our Google map of hotels with chargers to reflect some new Tesla Connectors in the Sarasota-Brandenton area.

Map of Florida Hotels with Electric Charging Stations

Larry

Last edited:
Sarasota, FL

Interstates: I-75
US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-301

I-75:
To: Brandon, FL - 45 miles
Diversion: 2.7 miles
To: Ocala, FL - 138 miles

Fort Drum, FL (I-75,FL-6,US-301,FL-62,FL-37,FL-C630,FL-60,FL-FT): 137 miles in 2 hours 27 minutes
Port St. Lucie, FL (I-75,FL-70,I-95): 144 miles in 2 hours 38 minutes
Riviera Beach, FL (I-75,FL-70,FL-710): 165 miles in 2 hours 59 minutes
Fort Myers, FL (I-75,u): 88.4 miles in 1 hour 20 minutes
Pinellas Park, FL (I-75,I-275,FL-694): 44.5 miles in 45 minutes

• Informative
Reactions: alseTrick