Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Location of Tesla Gateway and cutoff?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just having install finished off and I don’t wish to have Tesla gateway inside finished basement. It’s bad enough having flush fit panels there, though this outside-rated box is not able to be flush and looks fugly.

I am being told that this is needed to be adjacent to the panel being backed up. This smells like BS because of where the fuse box/disconnects for the Powerwalls and solar feed are (on outside of the wall) and I can find nothing in code (WA state, or otherwise) to say this is required.

Where do you have your gateway box, and anyone aware of anything in code to say this needs to be physically next to electrical panel being backed up?

Thanks

I am being told that this is needed to be adjacent to the panel being backed up.
The cable between the gateway and the fusebox has to carry a high current - up to 50 amps in the case of my gateway. This will cause a voltage drop proportional to the length of the cable. If the cable is long, it also need to be thicker to minimise the voltage drop, and that makes it more expensive. There may be a problem terminating thick cable within the gateway if it's not designed to handle thick cables.

There's also the issue of the wires connecting the current transformers to the gateway - the standard CTs may come with a limited length of wire.

So, I don't think it's total BS, but I suspect that your requirements could be met if you persist. They may want you to cover the cost of the thicker cable.

Most of my backed up loads are in a sub-panel original to my house. It is probably 25 feet away from the Gateway and the main panel. However, the new Generation Panel which has the breakers for the Powerwalls, is right next to the Gateway. As long as you can run the heavy wires required to feed the sub-panel and feed from the main panel, it doesn't really matter where the Gateway is. That said, it is best to locate it next to the main panel, or next to the primary sub-panel so you don't have extra high current cables.

Thanks both

The cable distance difference is minimal. Maybe 1 foot for cable.

The breakers in the new generation panel is already on the outside.

It was literally more work with more cable going through more exterior holes to do it this way. Doesn’t make sense and I’m confident sanity will prevail, though I am confused why people are saying this is necessary to meet code. I would expect the generation breakers, to be close (in line of sight) to backup gateway bypass for maximum safety.