Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locations for Constant Power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m considering installing two dual dash cams so can get the sides from the rear window. I know about the connector in the headliner where the microphones are located but I’m wondering where there are other locations for constant power that I can tap into. I have a June 2018 Model S. I wasn’t able to find any posts which documented various locations for constant power but my searching skills may be subpar. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I’m considering installing two dual dash cams so can get the sides from the rear window. I know about the connector in the headliner where the microphones are located but I’m wondering where there are other locations for constant power that I can tap into. I have a June 2018 Model S. I wasn’t able to find any posts which documented various locations for constant power but my searching skills may be subpar. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Since you have an AP 2.5 Model S, I would wait until we get details on the built in dashcams that are supposed to be coming in V9.0 in around a month before going too far into this project

Since you have an AP 2.5 Model S, I would wait until we get details on the built in dashcams that are supposed to be coming in V9.0 in around a month before going too far into this project

That’s a fair point but I have my doubts that any solution they offer can match that of a Blackvue camera setup. It seems more complex than I can imagine them getting into for it to be done properly, if that makes more sense.

I used this post from another TMC member named Arek Iskra his Blog EvCharged and found it very helpful.

BlackVue DR750S-2CH installation in 2017 Tesla Model S

This TMC thread was also helpful for power.

Newer VIN constant 12v power options (dashcam)?

I mounted two BlackVue DR 750S-2CH like you want to do. I put the main larger camera of each pair facing front & rear with the smaller cameras in the rear triangle windows on each side with a small wedge, purchased from Home Depot, then cut to the size of the mounting base of the camera. You will need to turn on the camera and figure out how much angle in needed to reach the front of the car and overlap the front & rear cameras scanning area. It helps to have window tinting to hide the side and rear cameras. I ran shielded wire (aircraft wire purchased from Skycraft Parts in Winter Park, FL) with the coax to the rear large main camera to supply the power. Make sure to put a fuse for each of the paired cameras power. Get the Polarizing filters made for the front and rear cameras, it helps. The 360 degree setup with 4 cameras is so helpful recording while driving and when the car is parked.

If you have not purchased the BlackVue cameras yet checkout.

All Dashcams For Sale | Buy Blackvue, Thinkware, Garmin, DOD, etc

• Informative
Reactions: rfmurphy81
I used this post from another TMC member named Arek Iskra his Blog EvCharged and found it very helpful.

BlackVue DR750S-2CH installation in 2017 Tesla Model S

This TMC thread was also helpful for power.

Newer VIN constant 12v power options (dashcam)?

I mounted two BlackVue DR 750S-2CH like you want to do. I put the main larger camera of each pair facing front & rear with the smaller cameras in the rear triangle windows on each side with a small wedge, purchased from Home Depot, then cut to the size of the mounting base of the camera. You will need to turn on the camera and figure out how much angle in needed to reach the front of the car and overlap the front & rear cameras scanning area. It helps to have window tinting to hide the side and rear cameras. I ran shielded wire (aircraft wire purchased from Skycraft Parts in Winter Park, FL) with the coax to the rear large main camera to supply the power. Make sure to put a fuse for each of the paired cameras power. Get the Polarizing filters made for the front and rear cameras, it helps. The 360 degree setup with 4 cameras is so helpful recording while driving and when the car is parked.

If you have not purchased the BlackVue cameras yet checkout.

All Dashcams For Sale | Buy Blackvue, Thinkware, Garmin, DOD, etc

THANK YOU! When I’m not on my phone, I’ll dig into those threads more, but this level of detail in your reply is phenomenal! Hopefully those threads have some links to buy the needed fuses, adapters and such. I may ask you more about that if I can’t find it there since your setup is exactly how I expect to do mine.

I have a DR650GW from my first Model S but I’m thinking about setting that up in the Model 3 once a different constant power (other than directly on the battery) has been uncovered. I’m debating whether to get the 900 or 750.

sidemount 3.jpg
THANK YOU! When I’m not on my phone, I’ll dig into those threads more, but this level of detail in your reply is phenomenal! Hopefully those threads have some links to buy the needed fuses, adapters and such. I may ask you more about that if I can’t find it there since your setup is exactly how I expect to do mine.

I have a DR650GW from my first Model S but I’m thinking about setting that up in the Model 3 once a different constant power (other than directly on the battery) has been uncovered. I’m debating whether to get the 900 or 750.

Get the 900 2ch and sell the 650! The picture is so much better to read license plates and night vision.

Purchase 2 of the Micro2 inline fuse holders that has a water proof rubber cap with 20 A.W.G. red pigtails, {do not get the inline fuse holder with 16or18 AWG pigtails found on Amazon} they can be purchased from Skycraft Part & Surplus, call them on the phone tell them what you need or ask. You can also get the 2 conductor 20 AWG shielded white aircraft wire from them, get about two times the length of the car so you will have extra for other things to add to your other cars, it is not cheap because it is silver plated with a Teflon wrapped jacket and that makes pulling it through small areas like the rubber grommet between the hatch and frame super easy and is very hard to cut. Also get extra spare fuses and tape them near the inline holders mounted at the power source above the rear-view mirror for when and if you need replacements. The wedges from Home Depot are called Mighty Wedge leveling wedges made of a very clear soft rubber, take a black permanent magic marker and color the clear wedge black on all sides after you cut it to the size of the camera mounting base, if you do not do this it reflects in the sunlight and can be seen easily from the outside. Also use clear 3M double-sided thin tape and mount the wedge directly to the window tint.

Attachments

• Mighty Wedge.jpg
    Mighty Wedge.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Side mount 1.jpg
    Side mount 1.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 34
  • sidemount3 bottom looking up.jpg
    sidemount3 bottom looking up.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 44
  • sidemount2.jpg
    sidemount2.jpg