Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locations of upgraded (145kW) and V3 superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dfwatt

Best Car Ever
Sep 24, 2018
FL
Perhaps I'm missing something but I can't find any information conveniently organized in terms of which version 2 superchargers have been upgraded to 145 kilowatts and where the version 3 chargers are coming in. Tesla states that all the new charging locations will be version 3 but I'm not able to find confirmation of that. Information and thanks much appreciated.

I don't believe there's anything that needs to physically change on the v2 chargers to support the higher charge rate. It's 100% on the car/firmware side.
I understand that the SC firmware needs to be updated by a technician on site, so both the car and site needs to be updated. I hope they can roll it out before summer but it could be well into summer or fall before V2+ capability is common.

2019.7.11 is no longer actively used so maybe they’ll include the updated charging profiles in a nearer release and we’ll get it soon, not sure.

My car is version 2019.15.11. If you touch any supercharger icon on the screen, the detail info will state whether it is 150kW, 120kW or 72kW. My curiosity was piqued last week at Lone Pine, when a Model 3 owner told me he started off with a max charge rate of 145kw.

I'm pleased to report that the vast majority of superchargers I checked on-screen are 150kW and there are only a few 120kw.

Here in California I only found Atascadero, Capistrano, Folsom and Mt. Shasta at 120kw. In Arizona Yuma, Buckeye, Kingman and Holbrook are 120kW. These are all quite old so I next checked the original cross country route using parrts of I40, I-70 and I-90. Sue enough all 8 chargers on that route between Holbrooke and Silverthorne,CO are 120 kW. Between Cheyenne, WY and Rosemont, IL there are 10 more 120kW locations, though that part of the route has been filled in with more chargers at 150kW between the older ones.