Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lock and Protect Outdoor Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
I am having a Tesla wall connector installed outside my garage. The connector will be visible from the street. I am looking for ways to lock and secure the connector so that people can’t simply pull up and start using it. I also want to find ways of protecting and shielding the connector from rain. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you!
joebruin77

Hi everyone,
I am having a Tesla wall connector installed outside my garage. The connector will be visible from the street. I am looking for ways to lock and secure the connector so that people can’t simply pull up and start using it. I also want to find ways of protecting and shielding the connector from rain. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you!
joebruin77

The Wall connector has a slot on the right side to put the connector in when stowed which will keep the water out. I live in Oregon and it rains a ton here. So far no issues just shoving the connector in the factory slot on the wall connector.

As far as stealing power goes, mine is also outside visible from the street. I just don’t think it is really a problem. You would have to be pretty ballsy to steal power from someone’s front yard. Also, it is not a J1772 connector so the only people who would be stealing power would be other Tesla owners. It just seems like the Tesla demographic makes this unlikely.

If you were really concerned, then shut the power off to it when not in use. Install a disconnect somewhere convenient. Even one outside with a lock on it would work.

But I just don’t think it is necessary.

The Wall connector has a slot on the right side to put the connector in when stowed which will keep the water out. I live in Oregon and it rains a ton here. So far no issues just shoving the connector in the factory slot on the wall connector.

As far as stealing power goes, mine is also outside visible from the street. I just don’t think it is really a problem. You would have to be pretty ballsy to steal power from someone’s front yard. Also, it is not a J1772 connector so the only people who would be stealing power would be other Tesla owners. It just seems like the Tesla demographic makes this unlikely.

If you were really concerned, then shut the power off to it when not in use. Install a disconnect somewhere convenient. Even one outside with a lock on it would work.

But I just don’t think it is necessary.
Many thanks, I appreciate your suggestions. Good to know the connector works well through Oregon rains.

My second connector has been outside for a year and a half. Nobody’s come by to steal power. And if they did, it would be, what, $1 or $2 at most? Plus, I’m on PlugShare, so the thought of giving some electricity away isn’t abhorrent to me. Like I said elsewhere on this subject, I don’t lock my water faucets or the outside electrical outlets on my home, either.

My second connector has been outside for a year and a half. Nobody’s come by to steal power. And if they did, it would be, what, $1 or $2 at most? Plus, I’m on PlugShare, so the thought of giving some electricity away isn’t abhorrent to me. Like I said elsewhere on this subject, I don’t lock my water faucets or the outside electrical outlets on my home, either.
Good point, thx for your reply.

Alternatively if you still are worried about this, you could install a NEMA 14-50 outlet with a covered waterproof box that can be locked. I've seen a number of threads/posts on outdoor installations on the forum over the past two years so try doing a seach. Did a quick one for you by going to the main forum area (to include those posted under MS/X and 3) and then searched for "outdoor install" and came up with a list of posts. Tried to post the link but the search results weren't shown so you'll have to do on your own. Start your search here at this Forum level.

Tesla Forum | Tesla Motors Club

BTW the outdoor 14-50 would also be handy for any RV or power tool work that may need access to 240v power in your driveway. We had some house remodeling done and also outdoor landscaping where they needed to cut paver stones and if we had our 14-50 installed back then our contractors would have loved us. Instead they used our outdoor recepticles and I kept having to reset the GFI button when they would trip the circuit. Much safer to have for that work and sorry when we were having the house built back in the early 90s that we didn't include a 240 in the garage area then.

Last edited:
Alternatively if you still are worried about this, you could install a NEMA 14-50 outlet with a covered waterproof box that can be locked. I've seen a number of threads/posts on outdoor installations on the forum over the past two years so try doing a seach. Did a quick one for you by going to the main forum area (to include those posted under MS/X and 3) and then searched for "outdoor install" and came up with a list of posts. Tried to post the link but the search results weren't shown so you'll have to do on your own. Start your search here at this Forum level.

Tesla Forum | Tesla Motors Club

BTW the outdoor 14-50 would also be handy for any RV or power tool work that may need access to 240v power in your driveway. We had some house remodeling done and also outdoor landscaping where they needed to cut paver stones and if we had our 14-50 installed back then our contractors would have loved us. Instead they used our outdoor recepticles and I kept having to reset the GFI button when they would trip the circuit. Much safer to have for that work and sorry when we were having the house built back in the early 90s that we didn't include a 240 in the garage area then.
Thank you for your suggestions and for the search efforts. I’ll definitely do what you suggested. You’re right, the 14-50 would be handy to have in that area. Thanks again.

Reactions: SMAlset
Hi everyone,
Thank you!
joebruin77

Another option is to use one of these 60A-240V relays with a Zigbee or Z-Wave device to set on-off times, or to turn on/off remotely. The box is not for external use however it is easy to change the box.

Remote Controlled Heavy Duty Switch 60 Amp, 240VAC Relay

owners manual https://www.smarthomeusa.com/produc...ts/ELK-9200 - y/manuals/9200-instructions.pdf

I made a simple wooden box to cover my 14-50, but only on two sides. That's all it needs to not be visible from the street. Chances are that few people will venture into the yard to look around the side and see the charging cable hanging there. And the wood layers keep rain and snow off the electrical stuff too.

I made a simple wooden box to cover my 14-50, but only on two sides. That's all it needs to not be visible from the street. Chances are that few people will venture into the yard to look around the side and see the charging cable hanging there. And the wood layers keep rain and snow off the electrical stuff too.
Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. Thanks for the suggestion