Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lock on Walk Away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of a Model 3 over the weekend, and I can not get the car to lock when I walk away. I have cycled the virtual switch multiple times and nothing works. It will lock if I wave the key card over the pillar, but that is the only way to get it to lock.... any thoughts?? Your help is appreciated!

Walk-away locking only works with an activated, linked cell phone. If using the key card only, you touch the card to the pillar to lock. The latter sounds like it's working.
My guess would be that your phone app is not communicating with the car. Check that your Bluetooth is on, and in Settings, that your phone is paired with the car.

not necessarily...i've found walk away lock to be as unreliable as the phone key itself. the key fob can't come soon enough...
It works pretty flawlessly for me, but my phone works with it 99% of the time. I have never had walk away lock fail, though I have had to launch the Tesla app on my phone to open the car before, but happens rarely.

I think it comes down to how your phone handles (enabled/disables/power saving) Bluetooth connections on how well it works.

Last edited:
If you unlock with the Card, it will not lock on walk away. So, you need to pair your phone to the car (it's easy, open car with Card...get inside, open app, press START, put the card by the cup holders, wait....done!). Don't forget you need to pair the Bluetooth for music/calls via the touchscreen [_] icon.

I wish lock on walk away was a little quicker. I feel like I have to walk too far before it locks.

Thanks all for the input. I was told the app would begin working sometime this afternoon for me, so hopefully I will get some clarity on the situation at that point.

So I just got my AWD this past Saturday. So far, I don't think it has auto-unlocked by approaching with my Android phone.

First of all, what's not clear to some noobs is the pairing-as-key is separate from the paring-as-Bluetooth-phone-and-audio-device. And a third connection is the app via the Internet. The last one works anywhere, i.e. I could be half way around the world, and if my car has cell reception, I could use the app to unlock it over the Internet, open the charge port, even "Start" it (please tell me if I've got any of that wrong).

As for using it as a key, like I say, that's been a real problem. After I'm in the car it connects via Bluetooth for audio and voice calls, and for example my Contacts are available, but the car won't auto-open before as I approach. I have to Airplane mode off & back on to connect as a key. But if I'm by the car, it's too late to auto-open it! I have to use the card to get in, or use the app (via Internet, not as a key) and click on the 'Unlock' icon to open it up. Frustrating.

Ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

What do you do when you approach the car? Pressing on the handle does nothing? When you press, does the screen turn on asking to use the card?

You know, I haven't actually tried! The mirror does not fold out as I approach (like in people's videos), so I assume it hasn't worked and the door is still locked. Once I apply the car, the mirror folds out and I hear the sounds of unlocking. I'll try the door before using the card.

The car only unlocks when you open the door handle. It does not unlock just by approaching the car. Tesla changed this behaviour sometime in the spring (can’t remember the exact timing).

Folks, that might have done it - doh! Seemed to work outside my house now, will keep on it the next few days. I guess they changed the behaviour when I saw on the forum some were complaining that going inside their nearby house and walking around with their phone caused the car to repeatedly lock and unlock (within Bluetooth range). Programming the car to wait til the driver presses the door-handle overcomes that issue. I have seen the "Unconnected" status on my phone even when next to the car, but maybe this has to do with me using the card sometimes. Anyway, thanks for the tips. I'll be back here again (of course), if I can't figure it out!