Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lockdown State Of Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would charge it to 90%, then set your charging to engage as low as possible, maybe 40%.

Keep a watch on it and when it gets low bring it back up to 85-90%.

Shut down should not last long enought for this to be an issue.

Bonus is that it will always have sufficient charge if you need to take it out for any reason.

Stay healthy my friends.

If you have the charging level at a set percentage then you want the car to be at that percentage. I suppose its only doing what it is asked to do. The extent to which this is damaging is debatable. I would be confident that if it was significantly damaging it would be easy enough for Tesla to set the BMS to behave differently.

I don't know about 'significantly' damaging, but after a while the car will tell you that it isn't recommended to keep on doing it.

So unfortunately but then inevitable shutdown of the UK is now in effect. So like many of us the Model 3 needs some downtime. I will garage mine but am thinking to attach the slow charger that came with it, plug it in and store it at 70%. Think this is a good preference for a few weeks? Or is it better to shutdown the car from the screen altogether?

Stay safe everyone!

In 3 weeks it will use about 1% a day so just over 20%, I don’t see the need to have to plug it in for no reason

On a completely different note I am interested that people expect not to use their car at all for the next few months. I too expect my Tesla to sit idle most of the time. But unless you have already panic-bought a garageful of groceries, it will still be necessary to make occasional visits to the supermarket, as I had to do this morning.. We've had our groceries delivered for the past five years, but now there no slots to be had for love nor money..

Reactions: SimonT and Adopado
In 3 weeks it will use about 1% a day so just over 20%, I don’t see the need to have to plug it in for no reason
It’s going to be longer than 3 weeks realistically. It ought to take about 2 of those for infection and death rates to start to show meaningful data, due to the incubation period of the virus.

Realistically the lockdown is probably going to last a couple of months at least, and may even get more restrictive if the numbers don’t slow sufficiently.

On a completely different note I am interested that people expect not to use their car at all for the next few months. I too expect my Tesla to sit idle most of the time. But unless you have already panic-bought a garageful of groceries, it will still be necessary to make occasional visits to the supermarket, as I had to do this morning.. We've had our groceries delivered for the past five years, but now there no slots to be had for love nor money..

I'm on 3 month government mandate lockdown.. I'm just hoping supermarkets sort out the delivery slot mess before we run out of food.

I’m using my car for the weekly shop at the supermarket, in addition today we went for a drive in the countryside, as it’s a nice day. I don’t see any problems doing that, do you?

Its an interesting one that because I feel like doing just the same. Take a bite to eat with us and head out to the coast but it goes totally against now what is advised. I suppose the powers coming in will enforce this.

I'm on 3 month government mandate lockdown.. I'm just hoping supermarkets sort out the delivery slot mess before we run out of food.

Yes it was funny to see all of a sudden tons of slots become available when the mass hoarders were only allowed 3 of each. Now you cant help but find if you have a slot booked to stack it up as the next one, well... there is no next one as far as I see to book atm for weeks.

Its an interesting one that because I feel like doing just the same. Take a bite to eat with us and head out to the coast but it goes totally against now what is advised. I suppose the powers coming in will enforce this.

It's one of those things that at an individual level carries little to no risk, but if everyone did it...

So as a result we shouldn't do it, stay home, minimise the chances of getting a puncture, breaking down, having an accident etc. and so adding to problems that are already out there, and of course keeping the roads clear so goods and other essential services can move around more quickly.

I would charge it to 90%, then set your charging to engage as low as possible, maybe 40%.

Keep a watch on it and when it gets low bring it back up to 85-90%.

Shut down should not last long enought for this to be an issue.

Bonus is that it will always have sufficient charge if you need to take it out for any reason.

Stay healthy my friends.
If we're leaving the cars parked for potentially three months, continually charging and discharging is of no benefit. Instead, you're just putting more cycles on the battery. You're best leaving it plugged in, charge level set to 50% and use something like Sentry mode to get the charge level to drop down to said 50%.

In cold weather, each charge cycle is fairly inefficient. It looks to me like 5A is consumed in heating the battery, for up to an hour or so. Since I'm using free solar energy, the first time I tried to charge during a break in the cloud I actually lost 1% in an hour.

I'm going to be waking every 2-3 days to top up to 75% (assuming the clouds stay away). 75% will get me to my parents and back without a charge.

I’m using my car for the weekly shop at the supermarket, in addition today we went for a drive in the countryside, as it’s a nice day. I don’t see any problems doing that, do you?

Yes - it's not essential travel.

What if you have an accident? The NHS is under immense pressure already and it's only going to get worse.

It’s going to be longer than 3 weeks realistically. It ought to take about 2 of those for infection and death rates to start to show meaningful data, due to the incubation period of the virus.

Realistically the lockdown is probably going to last a couple of months at least, and may even get more restrictive if the numbers don’t slow sufficiently.

I was referring to the amount of charge being used over 3 weeks not how long the virus thing will last for.

The cars don't have a problem holding their charge you could leave it for 2 months and then charge it when its low, the cars are meant to be tough and aren't going to break down if they haven't charged in a month, otherwise wouldn't last long in the real world. Some people don't have chargers and only charge them once every 2 weeks out of necessity.

Realistically I don't think it will be months at all in this 'lockdown' but we will see.