Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lockdown State Of Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starship is now in storage... :( for now. First time I opened up or used the charger in the boot. 10A 2KW charging speed from the 240v plug. No idea what the high end specs are for the round blue 3 pin but it has a button on it to open the charge port.. nice!. I decided to set to 50% which is probably a while away from hitting. I trust the BMS and software to look after it :). The car will probably come out smarter than it went in with the updates.

IMG_1155.JPG

So this is interesting as the BMS tends to bounce it around your setting say 50% it might hit 49% then kick it to return it to this value. This is Vs above which is a practical drain down to no lower than 50% and then top back up to 80% but this is at your own doing. Seems like there needs to be a lock-down mode added to the cars maybe? Set a value of long term storage 50-85 and let it drain and top up. Of course if this is compatible with the chemistry of Tesla's cells or really better for them.

I’ve got my Andersen charger to only unlock during the Octopus Go hours, but with the car always connected, so in theory the car will lose however much it wants outside those hours, and top back up in one go.

It’s only topping up about 1% though, as it’s not moving.

I’ve got my Andersen charger to only unlock during the Octopus Go hours, but with the car always connected, so in theory the car will lose however much it wants outside those hours, and top back up in one go.

It’s only topping up about 1% though, as it’s not moving.

What's the difference between that and just setting a scheduled charge at 00:30 on the car?

What's the difference between that and just setting a scheduled charge at 00:30 on the car?
Probably nothing in practice. Locking the actual charger down to the schedule means it's impossible for the car to draw power from it.

Having said that, bearing in mind what @Mark_T said, I'm wondering whether I'm better off unplugging it and letting it slowly dwindle down to ~50% and then plugging it back in again.

On the Andersen A2 charger (and many other standard EV chargers in fairness) you have the direct option to schedule "start / stop" timers throughout the week and days for when power will be supplied to charge the car.

As far as I've seen so far on the Tesla side (Model 3 in my case), you've got less control over start stop, but instead "charge from" and "schedule to leave at". May just be me (happily be proven wrong as would be great to use) but the only way to dictate "Tesla - only charge when i'm on low electricity tariff" is to do it from source at the charger itself.

I personally have set the car to 80% and have now just left the car in normal 'power off' (car goes into its 'deep standby (off) state once you've not interacted with it/the app regardless of pressing 'power off' in security/standby menu).

More a case in 'airing the car out' on a nice long drive when this is all over :)

I thought the guidance was to leave the car plugged in at all times where possible? How does that square with the car eventually moaning about 1% topups? Is the "plug in at all times" based on an assumption that it is being driven?

The Owners Manual is pretty unambiguous about leaving it plugged in, so.. I don't know what to think really lol

Screenshot 2020-03-29 at 17.54.35.png

I just unlocked my Andersen, woke the car up and watched my smart meter and it basically didn't do anything at all.

Last edited:
On a completely different note I am interested that people expect not to use their car at all for the next few months. I too expect my Tesla to sit idle most of the time. But unless you have already panic-bought a garageful of groceries, it will still be necessary to make occasional visits to the supermarket, as I had to do this morning.. We've had our groceries delivered for the past five years, but now there no slots to be had for love nor money..

I get you, but here's my thinking: After a few more weeks, I may not want to go to the grocery store.

I estimate that we have 2-3 months of food in the house, although we'll run out of some things (beer! :eek:) sooner.

Probably nothing in practice. Locking the actual charger down to the schedule means it's impossible for the car to draw power from it.

Having said that, bearing in mind what @Mark_T said, I'm wondering whether I'm better off unplugging it and letting it slowly dwindle down to ~50% and then plugging it back in again.

Though it won't be an issue at the moment doesn't this mean the charger doesn't warm the car directly from the charge point in the morning or does it take account of that, even when it's "off"?

When we started "lockdown" I moved the charge level on the car to below what was already in the battery. Once it gets down below that it gets back to charging again. (I still find it helpful to have about 70% or so onboard because our round trip for shopping is a long one!)

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I thought the guidance was to leave the car plugged in at all times where possible? How does that square with the car eventually moaning about 1% topups? Is the "plug in at all times" based on an assumption that it is being driven?

The Owners Manual is pretty unambiguous about leaving it plugged in, so.. I don't know what to think really lol

It is a fair question, only thing I can add is that when my car was complaining about frequent small charges it was set to 80% charge if I recall correctly, perhaps it behaves differently at 50% ... ?

Reactions: Durzel
Ah! A bona fide panic buyer! Glad to make your acquaintance...:cool:

There was no panic involved. On March 1, I plotted the number of cases outside China against date. I plotted it on a log Y scale so that an exponential increase displays as a straight line. I then extrapolated the line, and got this:

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 6.00.08 PM.jpg

To repeat, I plotted that line on March 1. On the basis of that extrapolation, I decided it might turn out to be a good idea to stay in the house for a while. I calmly bought groceries that would last. I'm healthy but 66. If the crisis goes away, I won't waste any food.

The orange diamond shows where we were as of yesterday. I'm expecting the line to bend down, but so far, it hasn't.

No panic.

Reactions: Cogarch and Mr H
It is a fair question, only thing I can add is that when my car was complaining about frequent small charges it was set to 80% charge if I recall correctly, perhaps it behaves differently at 50% ... ?

That's reassuring. Mine sits at 50%, plugged in and only charged higher prior to a trip. Had the car since August and no complaints from it in that time.

There was no panic involved. On March 1, I plotted the number of cases outside China against date. I plotted it on a log Y scale so that an exponential increase displays as a straight line. I then extrapolated the line, and got this:

View attachment 528457
To repeat, I plotted that line on March 1. On the basis of that extrapolation, I decided it might turn out to be a good idea to stay in the house for a while. I calmly bought groceries that would last. I'm healthy but 66. If the crisis goes away, I won't waste any food.

The orange diamond shows where we were as of yesterday. I'm expecting the line to bend down, but so far, it hasn't.

No panic.
*Excluding Russia and Brazil data ;o)

Going back to charging, my Zappi2 charger gives me ability to charge it fast (7kw) or eco (1.4kw), I would normally use 7kw charging but since I don't use the car as often anymore I can afford 1.4kw speed. Does it make any difference if the car is charged at faster or slower speeds?
I know supercharger speed definitely is not too healthy for battery but what about 1.4kw and 7 does it make any difference?