Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked car is accessible when smartphone being used as a key is closer than around 25ft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had the car for a few days, at first, the walkaway lock worked when I was a reasonable distance away but since Sunday I have to be rather far away for it to work. (if I had to guess it'd be like 100 feet or more)

Today while picking up our kid, I had to manually lock it since it never locked, another M3 arrived and parked close to my car and it locked on its own while the owner was only as half as far away from the car as I was.

I didn't see any setting to change how far away I have to be for it to lock. I suppose I could try rebooting the car and my phone. I wonder if my phone's bluetooth range has gotten really strong suddenly. (Pixel 6a) Anyone experience this and know of a fix? Thanks.

Last edited:
I have had the car for a few days, at first, the walkaway lock worked when I was a reasonable distance away but since Sunday I have to be rather far away for it to work. (if I had to guess it'd be like 100 feet or more)

Today while picking up our kid, I had to manually lock it since it never locked, another M3 arrived and parked close to my car and it locked on its own while the owner was only as half as far away from the car as I was.

I didn't see any setting to change how far away I have to be for it to lock. I suppose I could try rebooting the car and my phone. I wonder if my phone's bluetooth range has gotten really strong suddenly. (Pixel 6a) Anyone experience this and know of a fix? Thanks.

There is no distance setting I am aware of. I just turn on the locked horn sound when I go somewhere and listen for it. I also pull out my phone and look at the icon on the tesla app, which will almost always change to display the current status of the lock on the car.

Sometimes its fast, sometimes its not and I can get at least a couple car lengths away or even a bit more.

My Model 3 seems to lock faster when I walk straight away from the front and a bit longer to lock when I walk away to the sides or rear.

Like the OP, I listen for the horn to sound when the car locks. It's never failed to lock on its own in 18 months of use.

Reactions: stopcrazypp
My Model 3 seems to lock faster when I walk straight away from the front and a bit longer to lock when I walk away to the sides or rear.

Like the OP, I listen for the horn to sound when the car locks. It's never failed to lock on its own in 18 months of use.
Yep that's exactly how it works. It's not even distance per se, it's that there is a delay when you walk from sides or rear. If you stand at least around a car length or two away from car even at sides or rear and wait, the car will still lock itself after a while.

That delay was probably built in because when people go to sides or back they may be wanting to charge the car or access the trunk.

Reactions: DeltaOne
…later on im shoveling snow in the driveway and when i come within 10' of the car it unlocks and mirrors unfold!!! Plus when that happened i cannot trigger the lock button on the Tesla app. whats going on??
My car locks and unlocks fairly reliably but it never unlocks and unfolds the mirrors until I pull on the door handle. Maybe that’s a setting, once I find a setting I like but don’t use frequently I’ll forget about it.

The only quirks I’ve had is sometimes having to stand next to my car for 15-30 seconds looking like a dummy in a grocery store parking lot waiting for it to realize I’m there, and sometimes the PIN prompt takes its time showing up. Opening and closing the door again usually helps pop up the prompt on that last one.