Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked Charge Port Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know what's weird...

My car was locked the other day and I didn't have my phone on me. My wall connector was plugged into my car... without thinking I simply removed the plug from the charge port without hitting the button or anything. It wasn't locked like it normally is.

I'm not sure if it was because it was cold in my garage and if that is some new firmware thing for winter or what...
I just read that in newer firmwares, the port will unlock if the car is fully charged even if the car doors are locked

• Informative
Reactions: JeffK and navguy12
RE: make a video...

sure, and thanks for your help, but it goes like this.
- walk up to the locked car.
- charge cable has been removed by someone else
- adapter is locked
- select unlock charge port on phone- adapter is still locked
- unlock car - adapter is still locked.
- any other action in any sequence - adapter is still locked.
- open trunk and pull release cable - remove adapter.

I just read that in newer firmwares, the port will unlock if the car is fully charged even if the car doors are locked

Some have reported that the behavior is temperature dependent. So it unlocks after charging only if cold out.

I personally think this is a hardware defect (getting frozen) that they have worked around in software.

Now your UMC or J1772 adapter can be stolen after charging if it is cold out. This is not cool (especially since Tesla has not warned users about this after the firmware change).

Reactions: Skidmark
The correct way is to keep the button on the handle pressed until everything is completely removed from the Tesla's charge port. If you're using a J1772 adapter, keep the release button pressed and use your other hand to pull the adapter out of the Tesla while leaving the adapter and handle connected.

Letting go of the release button will cause the charge port to almost immediately re-lock. Separating the J1772 plug from the adapter will cause the car to lose the unlock signal the J1772 button sends, also causing an immediate re-lock. That's why you need to keep the J1772 handle and the adapter connected until everything has been removed from the Tesla charge port.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My wife likes to pop the door open to make sure the car stays unlocked just in case she gets distracted before she can pull the plug.

RE: make a video...

sure, and thanks for your help, but it goes like this.
- walk up to the locked car.
- charge cable has been removed by someone else
- adapter is locked
- select unlock charge port on phone- adapter is still locked
- unlock car - adapter is still locked.
- any other action in any sequence - adapter is still locked.
- open trunk and pull release cable - remove adapter.
I just tested this on my own car but had a different experience.

- Unplugged the j1772 and left adapter in port.
- saw the car close the port but when it touched the adapter, it opened back up after a few seconds.
- pressed the unlock charge port on my android Tesla app
- heard the lock release and pulled the adapter straight out

I just tested this on my own car but had a different experience.

- Unplugged the j1772 and left adapter in port.
- saw the car close the port but when it touched the adapter, it opened back up after a few seconds.
- pressed the unlock charge port on my android Tesla app
- heard the lock release and pulled the adapter straight out

I have probably tried this 10 times. I have a MR manufactured in December (got it Dec 17). What have you got ?

[[ I have been working all day on wood rot around the front door, no time for car. ]]

of course. Mine was actually Dec 17, 2018. I understood what Skidmark meant.

So... today I turned off auto lock on leave before I put in the j1772. I came back and someone had already plugged me in and then later unplugged me (car was charged). I confirmed the doors were not locked, but the j1772 was locked. no problem. i used the app to unlock the port and voila the plug pulled out. Bottom line, if the doors were never locked, it worked fine.

B7AA9C88-E316-40D7-9064-8038CBB0C293.jpeg
54A81AB5-9B26-4752-A125-C59B2705FBC4.jpeg
Ok has any one had there Tesla adapter get stuck to the J1772 connector?

It’s physically not restricted by the latch. The adapter comes off the car but won’t release from the Volta charger.

Last edited:
Ok has any one had there Tesla adapter get stuck to the J1772 connector?

It’s physically not restricted by the latch. The adapter comes off the car but won’t release from the Volta charger.

I've noted one or two instances when the plug was a very snug fit and therefore took more force than usual to remove. If you're certain the latch is not engaged, then I'd pull as hard as possible. If necessary, enlist help from another person and/or find something rubbery to improve your grip.

Reactions: elf9

I've noted one or two instances when the plug was a very snug fit and therefore took more force than usual to remove. If you're certain the latch is not engaged, then I'd pull as hard as possible. If necessary, enlist help from another person and/or find something rubbery to improve your grip.

I got the mall manager to come out we played tug of war with it, killed power to the Volta charger before we did. They called Volta and we were told there was a chance if the J1772 head was old/ warn, it could arc over and weld the two together. They told me to take a picture of my model and S/N number and send it to them. They will dispatch a tech out to look at it. If he gets it apart they will return it to me. Tesla Tysons was right around the corner. I went there after I posted and he said it happens, there probably welded together. Gave me a replacement one as a warranty replacement.

FYI this is on my S not the 3.

Reactions: puckpurnell
Volta came to the site and got my adapter off. it was spot welded to there handle. The adapter is ruined.

on different matter, how do you like the 3 vs S ?

I actually don't drive the 3 that much. It seems to be more refined than the S, given what Tesla has learned over the years. AC is superior in the 3, not as many software bugs in the 3 either. The seats in the 3 are more comfortable. My sons who do drive both, strongly prefer the 3 over the S. They think the S's engineering is dated which give weight to the argument that the refresh of the S is overdue. The S is faster and has a much better premium sound system, styling and overall appearance. More storage room also. With that I prefer the S over the 3. I had bought the 3 orginaly and quickly gave it to my son.