Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked IN my Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was weird. I went to sit in the car, I closed the drivers door to get going on my drive. The screen was all black, my steering wheel wasn’t moving, couldn’t even push the pedals. Tried hard reset, nothing happened. The windows wouldn’t open, the doors wouldn’t open. The drivers door wouldn’t open. I was locked IN my car. I panicked, didn’t know what to do. I snuck over the back door passenger door and somehow miraculously it opened. After I got out I tried and None of the windows would open, none of the other doors would open. I luckily got out, tried opening the doors from the outside and nothing would open. Called road side service and they said it was my 12V. They towed it to service center. No problems at all or warnings until this. What would happen if that passenger door didn’t open ? What would I do? Break a window?

Today was weird. I went to sit in the car, I closed the drivers door to get going on my drive. The screen was all black, my steering wheel wasn’t moving, couldn’t even push the pedals. Tried hard reset, nothing happened. The windows wouldn’t open, the doors wouldn’t open. The drivers door wouldn’t open. I was locked IN my car. I panicked, didn’t know what to do. I snuck over the back door passenger door and somehow miraculously it opened. After I got out I tried and None of the windows would open, none of the other doors would open. I luckily got out, tried opening the doors from the outside and nothing would open. Called road side service and they said it was my 12V. They towed it to service center. No problems at all or warnings until this. What would happen if that passenger door didn’t open ? What would I do? Break a window?

So the emergency latches didn’t work as well?

Reactions: StellarRat

You should buy one of those window breaking tools and keep it in your car. There's no other way out and it might save your life.

That’s funny because of any doors that wouldn’t open would be the rear doors and not the front. The front have emergency latches that’ll open without power. The rear do not.

I didn’t know about the emergency latches - but tried opening with just the button. I think I squeezed the last bit of 12V to do this. Anyway, thanks guys, so helpful. If I was in my car you all would have probably saved me to get out of the car faster than tesla service.

I couldn’t get another scenario out of my head. We have a baby, what if she was in the backseat of the car.

scenario: I find out the car is blacked out, I get out of the car using the emergency latch and close my driver side door (accidentally) OR like my situation, there’s just enough battery to open the driver door again once so I come out (don’t realize I only have one open left before the battery completely dies), but then none of the doors open again. Then I try to open the backdoor to get the baby out but it won’t open. None of the doors open. None of the windows open. Any suggestions for something like this?

I couldn’t get in.

Out of curiosity, had you just done a software update? My 12V failed just last week in the same way as you described (black screens, couldn’t get out except using the manual lever). Mine was in the middle of a software update when it happened.

As far as your child scenario, if it’s super hot outside, breaking a window would be your best bet I think, although I would try the trunk and all the doors first to make sure you can’t squeeze one last open first. Edit: when this happened on my car, the door I had opened didn’t roll up the window all the way once closed, so you could feasibly fish a coat hangar in to grab the manual release as well.

You can also have another ICE vehicle “jump” your Model 3 if you have jumper cables. It takes a few minutes for the system to come up, but it will eventually power on and you can open the doors. This also works with one of those portable jumper units, which is what I did when my 12V died. The manual tells you how to access the battery and pop the frunk from the tow eye port.

Aren’t the outside door handles mechanical? So, if the doors are not locked you should be able to pull the handles and open the doors.

They are not.

Last edited: