Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked NEMA 14-50 Outdoors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to be putting an outdoor NEMA 14-50 in a location that is open and unsupervised. Does anyone have experience with locking up access of this type? Can someone post photos and specs of how to do this?

The RV Park box I have is lockable, but it's rather large, since it has circuit breakers in it, and a 14-50, TT-30 and a 120V 20A GFCI outlet in it. There are holes on the lower left and right of the cover/body to insert a rod or locks.

image.jpg

The RV Park box I have is lockable, but it's rather large, since it has circuit breakers in it, and a 14-50, TT-30 and a 120V 20A GFCI outlet in it. There are holes on the lower left and right of the cover/body to insert a rod or locks.

View attachment 42997
Here's a link for a similar model, much smaller, and it is lockable:

Eaton, 50 Amp 1-Space 1-Circuit Temporary RV Power Outlet Box, CHU1S at The Home Depot - Tablet

By the way, I'm an electrical contractor with nearly 30 years experience in Washington state. Feel free to ask me any electrical questions.

Good luck!

Andy

Are you looking to secure it when you're not using it or also when you're using it? I used to live in a townhouse complex with carports. I had a weatherproof box installed with a Nema 14-50 plug. When you're not using it, the box closes and you can attach a small padlock to keep it closed. When you're using it, it gets a bit trickier because the cover doesn't close all the way.

Here's a link to my solution. It's at the bottom of page 1. It worked pretty well. I usually just kept the UMC plugged in all the time and locked to the box.

Will the UMC fit when the cover is closed?

Many outdoor NEMA boxes have locking options.

20150827_183539.jpg

(I don't have one where the cover is closed, but you see the metal loop protruding, that enters the slit in the cover, and you can place a lock over it)

You might be required to put an additional means of disconnect, like this within line of sight, since you are defeating the regular means of disconnect (the plug). The locks are supposed to remain open when in use if no other means of disconnect are within line of sight. The locks on boxes are mostly meant to protect people servicing the circuits. This prevents someone from being electrocuted because someone else energized the circuit. More info here.​

You might be required to put an additional means of disconnect, like this within line of sight, since you are defeating the regular means of disconnect (the plug). The locks are supposed to remain open when in use if no other means of disconnect are within line of sight. The locks on boxes are mostly meant to protect people servicing the circuits. This prevents someone from being electrocuted because someone else energized the circuit. More info here.​

No way a Tesla 14-50 adapter fits under that lid when it is locked.

14-50 is not much different from a dryer plug, so unlikely to need a separate shutoff other than circuit breaker. I wouldn't/didn't even pull a permit for such a thing.

Disconnect is only required for > 60A (625.42).

No way a Tesla 14-50 adapter fits under that lid when it is locked.

14-50 is not much different from a dryer plug, so unlikely to need a separate shutoff other than circuit breaker. I wouldn't/didn't even pull a permit for such a thing.

Most jurisdictions require a permit for anything short of a direct replacement of an existing device. Any new circuit or circuit extension generally requires a permit pull in those jurisdictions where separate electrical permits are required.

Just joined this forum but have been lurking/researching for an EV solution for my office but didn't know what would work as it's exposed and outdoors. Obviously, was worried about theft / security but was able to come up with a solution based on a lot of what I saw here.

Just wanted to give back to future users to see what can be created.

I came up with the following solution which has been working great. Box is 24in x 24in. Locks easily.

Photos attached:

EV Charger Box Open.JPG
EV Charger Exterior Locked.JPG