TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Locked NEMA 14-50 Outdoors?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by pbleic, Feb 11, 2014.

1. pbleic

pbleic Member

I am going to be putting an outdoor NEMA 14-50 in a location that is open and unsupervised. Does anyone have experience with locking up access of this type? Can someone post photos and specs of how to do this?

2. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

The RV Park box I have is lockable, but it's rather large, since it has circuit breakers in it, and a 14-50, TT-30 and a 120V 20A GFCI outlet in it. There are holes on the lower left and right of the cover/body to insert a rod or locks.

image.jpg

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. buzzbar

buzzbar Member

Here's a link for a similar model, much smaller, and it is lockable:

Eaton, 50 Amp 1-Space 1-Circuit Temporary RV Power Outlet Box, CHU1S at The Home Depot - Tablet

By the way, I'm an electrical contractor with nearly 30 years experience in Washington state. Feel free to ask me any electrical questions.

Good luck!

Andy

4. Princeton96

Princeton96 Member

Are you looking to secure it when you're not using it or also when you're using it? I used to live in a townhouse complex with carports. I had a weatherproof box installed with a Nema 14-50 plug. When you're not using it, the box closes and you can attach a small padlock to keep it closed. When you're using it, it gets a bit trickier because the cover doesn't close all the way.

Here's a link to my solution. It's at the bottom of page 1. It worked pretty well. I usually just kept the UMC plugged in all the time and locked to the box.

Will the UMC fit when the cover is closed?

5. pbleic

pbleic Member

Actually, just looking to secure it when we aren't around. A lock is fine.

6. iffatall

iffatall Member

Is there some way to make sure someone cannot plug out the MC while charging?
    EDIT: Sorry just noticed Princeton96's solution.

7. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#7 Lloyd, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    Here is a much smaller installation, with a locking slot on the lower right I did at my house.

IMG_0435.JPG IMG_0436.JPG

Sorry they oriented sideways.

8. Dane Jasper

Dane Jasper Member

Here is the solution we put together at my office. It captures the mobile charging adaptor so it can't easily be stolen.

AiqjrZx.jpg
    cMEkrHA.jpg

2LbYrTh.jpg

• Like x 1
  9. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

I would maybe put a rubber grommet on the bottom of that box where the cable is coming out. But looks like a great idea for outside!

10. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Many outdoor NEMA boxes have locking options.

20150827_183539.jpg

(I don't have one where the cover is closed, but you see the metal loop protruding, that enters the slit in the cover, and you can place a lock over it)

11. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Here is an inexpensive version with locking lid, $30 at Home Depot. Surface mount with knockouts on both sides, bottom and back.

GE 50-Amp Temporary RV Power Outlet-U054P - The Home Depot

de15f409-70ad-4fb5-82f6-4e7f206fab3c_400.jpg

12. Grease Monkey

Grease Monkey New Member

You might be required to put an additional means of disconnect, like this within line of sight, since you are defeating the regular means of disconnect (the plug). The locks are supposed to remain open when in use if no other means of disconnect are within line of sight. The locks on boxes are mostly meant to protect people servicing the circuits. This prevents someone from being electrocuted because someone else energized the circuit. More info here.​

13. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

No way a Tesla 14-50 adapter fits under that lid when it is locked.

14-50 is not much different from a dryer plug, so unlikely to need a separate shutoff other than circuit breaker. I wouldn't/didn't even pull a permit for such a thing.

14. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

15. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Disconnect is only required for > 60A (625.42).

16. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Most jurisdictions require a permit for anything short of a direct replacement of an existing device. Any new circuit or circuit extension generally requires a permit pull in those jurisdictions where separate electrical permits are required.