Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked out - Car stuck in Neutral

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, on my way to school today when I sat in my 2013 P85 to find it throwing every error message I think it could. Car needs Service, ABS needs service, traction control needs service, airbag service needed ect.. please Contact Tesla Service. So, I went ahead and tried the soft reset. No luck, so I tried the four button reset, with still no luck. I did it for a second time, only to find the instrument cluster not turning on. So, I decided maybe if I exited the car and come back, maybe it will turn the cluster on at least. Wrong.. the door handles wouldn't present when I pressed my fob. So I look at my app, and the car shows it's in Neutral, it will unlock and lock, but the handles still wouldn't present. Even the trunk wouldn't open, so I couldn't climb through. I've called Service and they said they've never heard anything like it before, but to bring it In. I'm waiting on a tow now, but has anyone ever heard of something like this before? Bonus bad luck.. my bag with everything I need is locked inside.

You can jump the 12V yourself...that might get it up enough to get your stuff out. See various Youtube vids for how it's done.
Well I'm not sure if it would be the 12V specifically being dead, as the headlights have been running for like 5 hours now, which Tesla states is part of the 12V ststem. Also my dash cam still works well, which is plugged into the 12V outlet. I may try that if I'm able to get the trunk open .

If it truly unlocked, the handles are held in only by spring force. You can use a plastic pry tool or put masking tape around a screw driver, pry out the handle and open the door. Tesla suggested this to me when the gear in my door handle broke and it quit presenting.

The flood of errors could also be the infamous "CAN Bus Massacre" issue caused by the Baolong TPMS system (if yours hasn't been upgraded to the newer Continental yet).
There are a number of owner reports showing that a defective TPMS control unit disrupts communication on the CAN Bus causing all sorts of error messages and also "bricking" the car (making it un-drivable). These report also tell that once the TPMS control unit is simply disconnected, all errors magically disappear (except for a TPMS error) and the car can be used normally again.

Not sure if this could also cause you being "locked out" of the car. The other reports I have read about did not indicate problems with accessing the car.

I had the almost identical issue earlier this month. Never had anything like that happen before on my January2013 P85.
Roadside service said the car had been offline for the preceding 19hrs so could only walk-through a reboot process (not helpful) and in the end said they would push software to the car. Nothing came and I had to leave town for a week. When I returned, all errors resolved!!
I am assuming it was related to a recent firmware update, but fortunately, the car has been perfect since.

So, fortunately Tesla was able to look at the car today and attributed the problem to a faulty tire pressure monitor sensor..sensor. The part that communicates with the TMPS was malfunctioning and was the one responsible for sending all of the error messages. They replaced the part and assured me it's good to go. Figured this may help someone who runs into the same issue.

Reactions: richrootes
The flood of errors could also be the infamous "CAN Bus Massacre" issue caused by the Baolong TPMS system (if yours hasn't been upgraded to the newer Continental yet).
There are a number of owner reports showing that a defective TPMS control unit disrupts communication on the CAN Bus causing all sorts of error messages and also "bricking" the car (making it un-drivable). These report also tell that once the TPMS control unit is simply disconnected, all errors magically disappear (except for a TPMS error) and the car can be used normally again.

Not sure if this could also cause you being "locked out" of the car. The other reports I have read about did not indicate problems with accessing the car.
You seem to be spot on with what was described. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any post describing what you just have before I had it looked at.