Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked out of car today doh!!!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
cant believe I did this today.
Went to friends house to walk dog so I took a change of clothes.i locked car then a few minutes later opened the boot with fob then pressed the manual close button it was then then I realised my keys were in the boot.
Luckily I was only a few miles from my house and got the spare key fob.
I now think this is a design flaw as the boot should open only when the vehicle is open.i shouldn't be able to open the boot when the rest of the car did still locked.
I dread to think what would have happened if I did the same when visiting friends 400 miles away only yesterday.
Can tesla remote open the car in such a situation.

Can't believe I f orgot about the phone app.although I didn't have my. Ph one with me I could have used my friends phone.
Come to think about it I could have phoned the wife and told her to unlock it.
A well live and learn. Fell like an idiot now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shock-On-T
I now think this is a design flaw as the boot should open only when the vehicle is open

I open the boot quite often using the "boot" area of the keyfob. Not sure how your safeguard would work in that case? (Open boot on fob, chuck clothes [and fob :eek:] into boot, close boot using Boot-Button). Its a proper 1st-World-Problem, that's for sure!

I could have phoned the wife and told her to unlock it.

Like this? :)

Ry on Twitter

EDIT: sorry, corrected the wrong-link for the video

Reactions: .jg.
Don't forget to park your car in exactly the right place ...

... if you ain't got CCTV then recommend thinking about that. Even a Battery operated Trail Camera is a start ... I don't think the Boy's in Blue will have much to go on unless I can give them some nice photos. Our CCTV is wired-in (did it as part of a whole-house rewire along with an embarrassing number of miles of CAT-x to each room ...), and includes both overt and covert cameras ... including some inside the house. I also have a couple of (battery) trail cameras for parts of the garden where people "might hop over the fence"

Don't forget to park your car in exactly the right place ...

... if you ain't got CCTV then recommend thinking about that. Even a Battery operated Trail Camera is a start ... I don't think the Boy's in Blue will have much to go on unless I can give them some nice photos. Our CCTV is wired-in (did it as part of a whole-house rewire along with an embarrassing number of miles of CAT-x to each room ...), and includes both overt and covert cameras ... including some inside the house. I also have a couple of (battery) trail cameras for parts of the garden where people "might hop over the fence"

Are you famous or paranoid? ;)

Are you famous or paranoid?

Neither really. Famous would be a PITA ...

... but I have a larger than average house and garden, and a posh looking motor parked outside ... probably like other folk n this forum :rolleyes: ... sooner or later it will be a target for some lowlife.

I had a hedge trimmer and petrol can pinched from my shed, some decades ago, just at hedge trimming time of course - someone presumably saw me using it. The Hedge trimmer was on its last legs, and the fuel can had some self-tappers in it to fix the leaks ... the tea-leafs left the smart, expensive, cylinder mower (no hedge-cutting attachment I suppose ...)

Ever since then I've decided that if someone breaks in I'd like them nicked, so they aren't getting away with it / doing it to other people, and I figure that some nice Photos is what will most help Plod. Either that, or the sight of the overt cameras (and alarm) will cause them just to "move along" somewhere else.

Settles arguments too; here's one:

I bought some huge pots back from work (landscapers had left them). Went to get one out, a week later, and the only ones I could find were "tiny". Flicked back through the CCTV to find the "culprit", and got all the way back to me, wheeling them along the drive in a barrow, only to see that they were nothing like as large as I had remembered!

• Funny
Reactions: Terry_B58
cant believe I did this today.
Went to friends house to walk dog so I took a change of clothes.i locked car then a few minutes later opened the boot with fob then pressed the manual close button it was then then I realised my keys were in the boot.
Luckily I was only a few miles from my house and got the spare key fob.
I now think this is a design flaw as the boot should open only when the vehicle is open.i shouldn't be able to open the boot when the rest of the car did still locked.
I dread to think what would have happened if I did the same when visiting friends 400 miles away only yesterday.
Can tesla remote open the car in such a situation.
I've had a similar drama charging at Bristol services. I went to get some food, came back and realised that my fob was in the boot packed in a backpack for some reason. The doors wouldn't open and the app wouldn't connect because the car had no signal. I called Tesla and they couldn't connect to it either.

I was resigned to my fate and then in a futile effort I tried to open the boot manually and lo and behold it opened :eek: even though the doors wouldn't! Very strange.

I'm surprised at a couple of these incidents. I understand that if the fob is in the car, the car will not lock and can be opened by pressing on the handles (MS).

I recently rented a MS while on a biz trip. At a certain point, after having been in an out of the card for several short rides, I realized that I had never picked up the fob. It had been in the cup holder the whole time since I took delivery. No problems getting into the car - luckily no issue as the same would have been the case for a car-jacker.