Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked out of my Model 3 [failed rear drive inverter]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am hoping someone can explain why I cannot unlock my 2022 Tesla Model 3. The problem started when I attempted to drive it after a few hours of listening to the audio system in my garage while detailing it. As I backed out of the garage a message about reduced power and not being able to restart flashed on the monitor and then the rear motor grabbed abruptly. Another message about reduced power also flashed. The car shut down. Tesla service suggested a reboot by pressing both steering wheel knobs but this did not change anything. The headlights started flashing, the backup lights were on steady, and eventually dimmed and turn off as though the battery had drained. The car is completely dead.

I tried to open the frunk with a 12v charge but it did not open. The car is completely dead, not responding to the key card. It will be picked up by a tow truck tomorrow.

Has anyone experienced being shut out and not able to activate the frunk to open? The car is locked and acted as if the 12v battery had drained. Are there other ways I can access the 12v battery to check the state of charge?

BTW, a large puddle of water gathered beneath the car while it was in the garage with the audio system playing for a few hours. The day before the software was updated to 2021.44.2.

I appreciate any suggestions/explanations.

Thanks.

Even if the car is locked and the 12V battery is dead the frunk should open. I have recently read a 9V battery will no longer open the frunk, now it requires a 12V DC source. I have not verified that a 9V battery will not work. Guess the 9V battery I have stored in a plastic bag behind the tow hook cover may be of no benefit other than running my transistor radio :D .

I appreciate the responses to my questions.

UPDATE on my 2022 (2 week old) Model 3 that shut down.

The Tesla Service Center determined that the rear-drive inverter was damaged, likely due to an overcharge situation. It is not clear how this may have happened, but I was assured it wasn't due to something I did. The pyrofuse was also taken out. Parts have been ordered and hopefully, the rear motor was not damaged.

Also, I want to clarify that I tried unsuccessfully to open the frunk using three different 12v sources. Is this something that needs to be addressed or did the conditions as described above prohibit opening the frunk?

Thanks

Michael