Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked out of my Tesla account - Multi Factor Authorisation.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you dont have an auth app, how were you using the 2 factor authentication in the first place?
I have the same problem. I have been using the backup codes, but now I'm down to two. Everytime I go into change the profile it asks for another backup code and now I'm close to running out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I tried the chatbot on the sales site as someone on TMC suggested, but the agent disconnected shortly after joining the chat.

Will it let you disable the 2 factor? Then you can setup again and get new codes.

Are you using an authenticator app?

If your locked out, I'd call roadside assistance.
I tried using Microsoft authenticator but it gives an extra digit which the Tesla app will not accept. I also tried Google authenticator, but it won't work in multi screen mode which, if you are using your phone to authenticate, it has to. When I go into my security profile it then asks for the authenticator code which it will not accept. I could use my last backup code, but I hesitate to do that for obvious reasons.

Why does it have to work in multi screen mode? Just get the code and you have 20 sec to type it in.

but both should be generating the exact same number of it was setup with the same QR code or seed number.
That's the error message I got when I tried to type it in, pasting didn't work either. I'm wondering if I used a different authenticator to set it up. I must have used one for MFA, right? Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get the backup codes, I believe. I appreciate your assistance.

Backup codes come directly from Tesla when you set it up.

The authenticator app should have been setup by scanning a QR code or entering some digits. Then confirming it setup correctly by typing in the code provided by the authentication app into the Tesla web page or app.

Also the authentication app should be displaying a different number for every different service (Tesla, Google, etc)

If you dont have an auth app, how were you using the 2 factor authentication in the first place?
They email or text you a code, Big difference between that and a Passcode. a passcode is generated through a separate app and those have a monthly fee. But we did get it fixed by calling the Tesla helpline. Do You have a new iPhone 15, it was either it or the most recent update that screwed this up. I still had no Auth app on the old phone either. They sent me a link to remove it and sign back in as Tesla doesn't even use a passcode, it was my phone doing all this.

Reactions: electricar
Backup codes come directly from Tesla when you set it up.

The authenticator app should have been setup by scanning a QR code or entering some digits. Then confirming it setup correctly by typing in the code provided by the authentication app into the Tesla web page or app.

Also the authentication app should be displaying a different number for every different service (Tesla, Google, etc)
I got my corrected and was told Tesla doesn't require the passcode, just a two-party system. You sign in, they send you a text or email with a code, use it to sign in. All The passcode apps we found, all had a monthly. Now you can sent up a passcode if you like but Tesla doesn't require it.

That's the error message I got when I tried to type it in, pasting didn't work either. I'm wondering if I used a different authenticator to set it up. I must have used one for MFA, right? Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get the backup codes, I believe. I appreciate your assistance.
I learned when calling the Tesla helpline that several people have had this issue, it was after they switched to the new 1pnone 15 Max pro or that latest update. I was told Tesla Does Not require a passcode just a two-party confirmation type and you can add a passcode if you want but one more thing to go wrong and a monthly fee

Reactions: electricar
Glad you got it sorted!

I have never seen a passcode app with a fee. Google authenticator, Authy, and even built into the Apple password manager (and many others).

Advantage of the authentication app is it’s not subject to someone hacking your phone service. Text method is just easier.