Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked out of the car. Just about to give up on Tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: PoweredByRain
I have to agree with the naysayers. In some ways this EV tech has not matured and still has some serious issues. After 5 years Tesla is still dealing with 12V issues that leave people crippled.
Other vehicles (gas), also have 12 volt battery issues like a previous poster mentioned. I switched to lithium 12 volt and am happy I did. My yard tools and lawn mowers are also lithium. It has all been a great move!

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Yes, he's a good friend. Still. :)

Having a separate power source from the HV battery does seem unavoidable, but the problem I see in particular with Tesla's design is:
a) they have a very large power draw at all times - heck, even in "energy saver" mode. This means a lot of charge/discharge cycles on the 12V battery if the solution is to just top it up from the HV battery periodically (I am pretty sure that's how it works).
b) if it truly is the case that the 12V battery is not charged when the HV battery goes below 5% *while driving*, then in essence Tesla is lying about the range of the vehicle. They don't say you have 5% of the battery capacity left *as long as you keep driving and don't use any accessories*. This is almost as bad as them lying about the capacity of the pack - the '90 kWh" battery takes 75 kWh to charge empty to full, magic that...
c) the fact that the car will lock you out and remain completely dead if there is no 12V energy source is completely unacceptable. As I said before, what if a pet was in the car at the time? You're telling me that this $200,000 vehicle has to suffer a broken window to rescue a pet because my battery died?

It's Tuesday. The Tesla tech will be out on Wednesday morning. The plan is to replace the 12V battery (under warranty), then charge the car at the Supercharger. Hopefully that will be that.

Someone mentioned replacing the battery with a 12V Lithium battery. Care to share any part numbers? How does this affect the warranty?

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
None of my gas cars have left me stranded because of 12 volt issues, that is not solved by a simple 5 minute jump start. And never left me unable to open the doors.
So, you have been generally lucky in life or have not owned cars that are powered by a lot of electric/electronic components. I have had gas cars with completely dead/shorted 12 volts that would not jump start. If you have ever had custom/fancy cars with popper doors and electric windows, you get the same result with a dead battery. Anyway, you might want to get a lithium jump start battery for emergencies as well as a lithium replacement battery for your 12 volt. Footnote: I see that the manufacturer I referred you to is about to make a battery for Model X and Model 3. Their current supply is for Model S.

Lithium 12V batteries might not work well in areas like the OP's where there's extreme cold. Is the 12V insulated or have liquid heating like the main battery?
You would have to give those inquires to the battery manufacturer. It works completely well for me in freezing Michigan climate as well as AZ hot summers. Michigan gets pretty cold and blustery but I'm not sure if BC is much worse.

The plan is to replace the 12V battery (under warranty), then charge the car at the Supercharger.

Hopefully, that will work. If not, are there 208V charging options nearby? Some people have had a hard time getting Supercharging to start when their batteries were cold and nearly depleted. The solution has been to first L2 charge for a half hour or so.

Hopefully, that will work. If not, are there 208V charging options nearby? Some people have had a hard time getting Supercharging to start when their batteries were cold and nearly depleted. The solution has been to first L2 charge for a half hour or so.
Yes, I have experienced that, because the traction (HV) battery needs to have enough energy to heat itself and will take 20 minutes or more before accepting charge when it is cold soaked. It doesn't take long for the 12 volt to drain so get right on the charging of the traction (HV) battery immediately after the 12 volt charging/jumping/replacement.

You would have to give those inquires to the battery manufacturer. It works completely well for me in freezing Michigan climate as well as AZ hot summers. Michigan gets pretty cold and blustery but I'm not sure if BC is much worse.
Same situation here. High desert at 5,000 feet and typical for the temperature to be below 15 degrees F almost every night in the dead of winter. And in the summer, it gets over 100 F on a regular basis.

I had a 12V failure in just 3 months after having the X that I got in May 2016. They came to the house the next day to replace it. Since that time in over 2 years, no issues with extreme cold or hot. And yes, on some of those winter nights it can get to 5 degrees F.

Last edited:
My previous Mercedes also had battery issues. They needed to put an additional AGM battery underneath the front seat to supply more constant amperage to the very sensitive electronics.

This will be an ongoing issues as ICE vehicles go to ever higher voltages to drive more efficient systems.

Think the Germans are moving towards 48V. systems.

I forgot to mention there seems to be a lot of variables. I wonder if the friend really reported that it still had 3% remaining since you were not there. You know that is just an estimate and varies somewhat depending on how the car is charged and when. But for the most part, should be reasonably accurate. There is always a possibility that the real charge was lower than indicated.

I see people bragging from time to time how they run it down to zero and still no issue and Elon claiming in tweets that there is still a "small" reserve when the battery reads zero, but I am never going to test that claim. To me, that is just tempting problems unnecessarily.

Maybe consider a new friend :) But yea, I would be really upset with the response of service on this matter. That is much too long to wait for them to go check the car and should be a priority. Too many of these stories and new buyers might just start considering an alternative EV purchase.

I found myself at zero miles left when limping into a supercharger this fall. A store had some parts that I had to pick up before closing time. Didn't have time to swing to charger first then on to the store. So, it was going to be close! Picked up the parts and weather turned cold eventually had to slow to 25mph to make it to supercharger. Yep, zero miles on the odometer! Whew, by the skin of my chinny chin chin! Never have posted a picture on this forum, but I have one!

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert