TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Locked out, then car mysteriously unlocked itself after 5 minutes

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sknaf, Sep 11, 2019.

1. sknaf

sknaf Member

Last week I got locked out, I dropped my son off at school and he went inside. I left my keys and phone in the car. Both were in the center console. After panicking for a 2 minutes, I decided to walk home and get the other set of keys. After walking a block, I turned around to check the car one more time before it was out of sight, and the car unlocked itself.
    So I walked back to the car and drove home. The car was locked for about 5 minutes, and with no change, it just unlocked itself. I replaced the FOB battery 2 months ago, and have not gotten any low battery warnings.

Is my FOB dying ?

I went ahead and put another new battery in the FOB today, but just nervous now, and try to make sure I keep my phone or my keys in my pocket.

~Scott

2. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

The car should never lock with the fob inside. It will pull the handles in but the car remains "unlocked" and should present the handles if you press them. Did you try that?

If so, and the handles were unresponsive, seems plausible your fob is dying, yes.

• Informative x 1
  3. sknaf

sknaf Member

The handler were out, but as I closed the trunk they (and the mirrors) went in. Could not get them to present again, until they mysteriously did by themselves about 5 minutes later.

4. Fiddler

Fiddler Member

If the phone is near the fob, the phone can block the fob signal to the car. Was your phone near the fob?

5. sknaf

sknaf Member

@Fiddler - yes the phone and fob were both in the center console. I didn't realize they interfere with each other.

6. Fiddler

Fiddler Member

My wife has learn to not put her phone and fob in the same pocket of her purse.

7. Chaserr

Chaserr Active Member

My handles won't present if I have the fob and phone in the same pocket. There's an interaction of some kind.