Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked Out vía Everything [resolved - 12v battery]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m locked out via all entry methods.
1- Phone app via Bluetooth does not connect.
2- Key cards (2) do not open car.
3- Tesla Support. Useless

Scheduled service, earliest available 4 days from now, ridiculous.

I’ve tried:
1- Turing off/on Bluetooth on the phone.
2- Via app Disconnected Phone Key. Now it’s not possible to connect again. Wife’s Phone Key remains connected but does not work.
3- Both Key cards do not unlock vehicle.

Prior to issue.
1- With App used Summon’s to move car forward out of garage.
2- Once done got in the car to park back in garage and the screen never turned on. As if the car had no power.
3- Got out of the car and when I returned the car was locked.
4- Drivers side window is not closed 100%
5- Phone app indicates that Software Updated occurred yesterday.

Having second thoughts about buying Model S and Cybertruck.
Please help.

EEC8CD42-E433-474B-BB14-A69C9D3336EF.jpeg

Of course Tesla still can't get 12v battery warning working properly.

It's not so much a Tesla limit as it is a limit of lead-acid batteries.

Sometimes they fail gracefully in a way that's easy to predict.
Other times, they don't.

If I assign blame to Tesla for anything, it's for not getting us to a reasonably priced li-ion accessory battery sooner. But putting a $400 battery module in a $40k car isn't realistic.

Reactions: stopcrazypp
Upvote 0
It's not so much a Tesla limit as it is a limit of lead-acid batteries.

Sometimes they fail gracefully in a way that's easy to predict.
Other times, they don't.

If I assign blame to Tesla for anything, it's for not getting us to a reasonably priced li-ion accessory battery sooner. But putting a $400 battery module in a $40k car isn't realistic.
No, it's Teslas failure to solve the 12 v charging issues on the S, then X and then 3 and Y, finally giving up on the S &X refresh with a Li battery. People that monitored the charging cycle showed that Tesla was abusing the battery.

Upvote 0
Exactly right. It's not a failure, just a very different use cycle.
Exactly wrong, it is a super easy light use cycle. No high amperage draw by the starter motor al all. No halogen or incandescent lights, all LEDs, a computer and some cameras. What has shown to be causing he shortened life is the charging scheme. On a fossil car with an alternator, the battery is always being charged when the motor is running and the battery voltage maintained. Tesla uses a DC/DC charger that charges the battery, then lets it discharge and then applies charging current again according to people that have recorded the charging cycle. It's more digital, on/off, than an alternator's analog charging.

Upvote 0
Exactly wrong, it is a super easy light use cycle. No high amperage draw by the starter motor al all. No halogen or incandescent lights, all LEDs, a computer and some cameras. What has shown to be causing he shortened life is the charging scheme. On a fossil car with an alternator, the battery is always being charged when the motor is running and the battery voltage maintained. Tesla uses a DC/DC charger that charges the battery, then lets it discharge and then applies charging current again according to people that have recorded the charging cycle. It's more digital, on/off, than an alternator's analog charging.
There's got to be a way to remove this 12v battery requirements. I would think they could use a row of capacitors. I know there's more to it than that. I'm just dreading not knowing when our MY will fail. Is it worth changing them out every 20 months or so to ensure you won't get stranded. The MX lasted close to 3 years.

Upvote 0
Vehicle required towing to Tesla Dealership where battery was replaced under warranty. After watching multiple video’s I failed to ask if the battery was replaced with lead or lithium 12v battery. All good for now.
It will take the next major refresh to have new production use LI like the new S. You got an $85 lead acid battery.
Of course Tesla still can't get 12v battery warning working properly.
Worse than that, they can't solve the original problem of a charging cycle that is hell on batteries. They need a sophisticated charging system more than a sophisticated warning of failure system.

Upvote 0
I’ve been locked out of my 2015 Model S five times now. First time 18 months ago, fortunately in the club carpark. No mobile connection either. Cleared after 2 hours. Same in July, same place. Tesla Support couldn’t access the car either. Now it’s occurred 3 more times, twice at the same place, but with a mobile connection and once in several places in town and on return home. These times the App worked for access, but I got a Key Not Detected warning trying to drive. Fortunately the App Start function worked. The batteries in the keyfobs are good/new. We checked with a RF scanning receiver. There was no interference on 433.955MHz and the keyfobs gave a good signal. Tesla Service have the car now and can’t find anything wrong. This is an intermittent fault and if there is no mobile connection the car is completely immobilised. I shall mention the 12V battery issue when I collect the car tomorrow, but since the App works normally it seems unlikely. TeslaFi has been flagged up by Service as a possible cause of interference, but I’ve turned logging off and still had a recurrence of the problem, which always seems to clear itself after an hour for so. Has anyone else had anything like this?

Upvote 0
I’ve been locked out of my 2015 Model S five times now. First time 18 months ago, fortunately in the club carpark. No mobile connection either. Cleared after 2 hours. Same in July, same place. Tesla Support couldn’t access the car either. Now it’s occurred 3 more times, twice at the same place, but with a mobile connection and once in several places in town and on return home. These times the App worked for access, but I got a Key Not Detected warning trying to drive. Fortunately the App Start function worked. The batteries in the keyfobs are good/new. We checked with a RF scanning receiver. There was no interference on 433.955MHz and the keyfobs gave a good signal. Tesla Service have the car now and can’t find anything wrong. This is an intermittent fault and if there is no mobile connection the car is completely immobilised. I shall mention the 12V battery issue when I collect the car tomorrow, but since the App works normally it seems unlikely. TeslaFi has been flagged up by Service as a possible cause of interference, but I’ve turned logging off and still had a recurrence of the problem, which always seems to clear itself after an hour for so. Has anyone else had anything like this?

This is the model 3 subform, you are talking about a model S. I dont believe the vehicles are identical in this regard, so you should post this question in the model S subforum.

Upvote 0