Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked out with dog in the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah ok, still interesting though. I wouldn't expect that to happen, mine doesn't lock regardless where I stand around the car, nor when opening the frunk.

Does seem like you are on the cusp of the signal somehow, even when close to the car. Different phones, different antenna designs, etc. does appear to demonstrate a big variance in user experience.
Mine locks as well if I'm doing stuff in the frunk.

Maybe Tesla should provide a list of phones they have tested the system with to ensure an experience as intended.

Not saying people can't use any phone, just give guidance for anyone as to which devices they do test the feature with.

I expect some phones compromise on the Bluetooth antenna to give metal backs, or certain cosmetic qualities.

Is there an Apple Watch option? And if so wouldn’t it likely rely on the Tesla phone app being operational anyway? I’ve had more incidents recently of the phone key (I have an iPhone 12 Pro) either not working at all or taking what seems like ages (in reality it’s 30-60 seconds) to be recognised. So I try several times to open the door with no success. It’s mildly annoying. Eventually works but not as slick as it should be or I am used to. Not sure why it’s changed. I would add that I always keep the key card in my wallet as a contingency (except when I forget to take my wallet with me :rolleyes:) and when unplugging charge cables I tend to leave the driver door open.
Look up "Watch app for Tesla"

I just bought it today and it's actually quite good, can have a whole set of complications on a face with all the Tesla options, unlock Frunk and so on.

And it unlocks the car with just the watch, you will need an internet connection though, so LTE watch or your iphone close by... (locked in the car? :))

This is a year old now but pretty good explanation

Look up "Watch app for Tesla"

I just bought it today and it's actually quite good, can have a whole set of complications on a face with all the Tesla options, unlock Frunk and so on.

And it unlocks the car with just the watch, you will need an internet connection though, so LTE watch or your iphone close by... (locked in the car? :))

This is a year old now but pretty good explanation

+1 for the watch app, I mostly use to to unlock the charge cable as I'm on the way to the car because it'll queue commands to send once it wakes the car so you just tap the button and get on with whatever you were doing.

I'm a bit paranoid about getting locked out of the Tesla for some reason, I tend to carry the keycard, wear a ring, have my phone set up as a key and have the watch app.

I can't imagine why I'm like that because Tesla are legendary for their high quality robust software....

• Funny
Reactions: Neilman and Teddy69
Is there an Apple Watch option? And if so wouldn’t it likely rely on the Tesla phone app being operational anyway? I’ve had more incidents recently of the phone key (I have an iPhone 12 Pro) either not working at all or taking what seems like ages (in reality it’s 30-60 seconds) to be recognised. So I try several times to open the door with no success. It’s mildly annoying. Eventually works but not as slick as it should be or I am used to. Not sure why it’s changed. I would add that I always keep the key card in my wallet as a contingency (except when I forget to take my wallet with me :rolleyes:) and when unplugging charge cables I tend to leave the driver door open.

Watch I think just uses the API. If you have a cellular watch that can work away from the car, or connected to your home wifi. Alternatively it will need your phone but only for a network connection - it doesn’t talk to the tesla app on the phone

On a slightly different note. Similar thing happened to me when I downloaded v4 of the app from the unofficial site (previous post). I locked the keycard in the car needed to programme the phone key...to open the door. Need to keep a key card somewhere safe. Luckily I had the 2nd keycard close by.
Even without adding your phone to work with Phone as Key, you can still use the app to manually unlock and drive the car, assuming both the phone and car have a cellular signal.

You can start the car remotely from the app?

so worst case of your car doesn’t recognise your phone as a key and you don’t have any cards, you could log into the app and remote start it to drive off? Thinking also in case the wife gets into the same spot I could do it remotely for her?

does that let someone drive until they get out?

You can start the car remotely from the app?

so worst case of your car doesn’t recognise your phone as a key and you don’t have any cards, you could log into the app and remote start it to drive off? Thinking also in case the wife gets into the same spot I could do it remotely for her?

does that let someone drive until they get out?
IIRC, it lets them drive until they put it in Park.

Reactions: Mrklaw