Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three days ago I drove to a car park where I left my 2011 Roadster for about 6 hours. As usual I left the car locked.

When I returned to it, my key would not unlock it. Absolutely no response. I assumed the battery in the key had gone from fine to empty suddenly.

My lovely wife drove out to me with her key. The first couple of presses it would not unlock the car either; then it did.

Since that moment I have continued to use my key without changing the battery and it works perfectly fist time every time.

Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions what to do if I’m locked out again and getting the second key isn’t possible?

The Roadster key fob receiver isn't very sensitive, and is also very susceptible to interference from strong radio transmitters nearby. There was one location in downtown Toronto where I could barely get the car to unlock. And Canadian cars have an immobilzer feature - if you don't unlock with the fob the car will not start.

One other tip - the fob antenna is a little wire under the dash. In most cars the wire is attached to a harness and that makes it even less sensitive. If you ever have the dash off, locate the wire and pull it out of the bundle. That triples the sensitivity of the fob system. (Somewhere on the forum there's a thread where I posted pictures of how to do this.)

• Informative
Reactions: Mark77a
Thanks Doug. I have always had difficult getting my Roadster to lock/unlock with the fob, it almost always takes multiple button presses. I hold the fob near the side of the windshield and move it around. Changing the battery in my two fobs makes no difference, it’s a not a battery strength issue. I will try to find that thread you mentioned, didn’t know about that.

I had that happen about a year ago. Changed the battery and still nothing. I used the key to get in the car and off went the alarm. Turning the ignition on silenced the alarm, but I didn't have the code to disable it and get the car running. About three hours later I was finally able to convince Tesla that I actually owned the car, and got the code they had on record. Fortunately it was correct. When I got home everything was normal and I haven't had a problem since. So just make sure you know the security code and you won't get stuck somewhere.

The code goes in on the VDS display - it should prompt you with a phone-like keypad. It is specific to the car, and unless the prior owner changed it, Tesla should be able to tell you what it is.

Thanks Doug. I see now that when you said you had to have to “dash off” to adjust that antenna wire, you were being very clear: the top dash cover has to be removed. So I won’t be making that antenna adjustment myself, but maybe in the future if I ever need to have the dash top taken off for some reason I can check that antenna wire position.

"Some guy in Vermont" lol

917ypN84XzL._SL1500_.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: gregd
Today it stopped raining for long enough for me to simulate entry to the car without using the remote.

I locked the car with it of course, and then lay on the ground on the left (passenger side here in the UK), cleaned the lock surface (OCD strikes again) and then unlocked the door with the key manually. The door indeed opened, the alarm went off, I reached over and unlocked the driver’s door so I could put the key in the ignition.

When turned on, the power comes on with the alarm still going (and driving not enabled). The VDS shows security alarm activated and nowhere to enter the code. Nothing on the screen would give me the option of a code entry.

I then gave up and used the key fob to disarm the alarm.

What did I miss please? I have the code (from Tesla), and now need a way to use it!